Success Pond Road on a bike?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeoAkela

Reaction score
Planning on a Mahoosuc loop hike tomorrow and wondered if anyone knew if Success Pond Road is bikeable with a 10-speed street bike... that would let me drop the car at the Speck Pond trailhead and bike down to Goose Eye to start. Never been up to the Mahoosucs so not too sure what to expect, especially with all the rain we have had.

Otherwise, I'll plan a shorter loop and a mile or two road walk :)

It'll be bumpy, and you'll have to yield to the lumber trucks coming down the middle of the road...but I think you could do it. The road looked pretty good a couple weeks ago....at least from Berlin to Success Trail.... good luck!

Thanks for the info! I'll keep a few extra tubes in the pack and start investing in a good dirt bike! :D

Success Pond Road

I have no idea how it would be on a bike, but Trailbiscuit and I were pleasantly surprised with the condition of the road on Monday when we did our Mahoosuc Notch hike. We started up the Goose Eye Trail and hiked through the notch to Grafton Notch, where we had previously left a car. We then drove from Success Pond Road from the Grafton Notch end back to the Goose Eye Trail. We didn't run into any logging trucks at all either way.

The notch itself wasn't wet and was sort of fun if you're into bouldering/caving/puzzling out how to get up/over/around big boulders! The rest of the trail was in pretty good condition considering all the rain we've had. In fact, both of us commented that this was the driest our shoes had looked after a hike in a while! Of course, I did put my left leg into one of the bogs atop Fulling Mill Mountain up to my knee :D

You can read all about it in full detail at: http://snowplug.blogspot.com

Have fun!