Suggestions for Backpack for Photo Equipment

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edelweiss

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a backpack which I can use on photography hikes/outings. I've been looking at Lowepro packs and found THIS , a Fastpack 350, on eBags.com. Has anybody heard of or used this pack? Does anyone have any suggestions about camera backpacks I should investigate? I'm looking for a pack which gives me easy access to my camera and equipment without taking the pack off each time I want to take a photo. I also would like some storage for things like water, lunch, bug dope etc., and maybe a rain jacket (that's probably asking too much).
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Edelweiss

Check out http://www.kgear.com/ for a modular system as an alternative to a more conventional backpack for combining hiking and photography. Other systems similar to it are on the market. Kinesis stuff is expensive, but I can vouch from experience for its very high quality.

G.

Simple, don't use a backpack to carry camera gear. Use a backpack only for stuff you don't need very often or quickly, like a stove or bug spray. (It's also useful as a rain cover for your camera bag, and for sections of technical climbing when you want to be sure your camera bag isn't in your way.)
A bit lower in this forum is a thread on "mountain climbing photography"; the author carries an SLR, multiple lenses, etc. Here's a photo of him; his camera gear is in the rectangular grey case on his hip:
http://www.aperturefirst.org/index.php?showimage=814

He discusses how he carries his gear in the fourth post of this thread:
http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=47145&sid=3614352794fa06601b64dd79a9bad09a

Personally I usually carry just one lens, so the camera+lens fits in a dropnose case on a shoulder strap. If I do carry an extra telephoto lens, it goes on a strap over my other shoulder; an extra wide-angle lens can go in a jacket pocket.

I have my Canon EOS Rebel XT strapped across my chest the whole time I hike. Most of the time for quick snaps I just pull it up to my eye and shoot away. I also don't have the lens cap on, just a UV filter for protection for when I drag it across the rocks :)

In the winter I use the standard case that came with the camera to protect it from show as I tumble downhill--I'm not the most graceful hiker. The camera has never had any problems with any of this.

I really don't like changing lenses on a hike unless it's something where I'm out specifically for birds or something where I'd need more telephoto ability. Otherwise I'm must using the stock 18 to 55mm lens.

As for tripods, unless you're really serious about doing landscapes you can usually get away with attaching a string to the tripod mounting hole with a loop on the end of it for you to step into. Put tension on the string and you'd be amazed at how much it can stabilize you.

Have fun and shoot a lot of pictures!

Kevin

Thanks everybody for your suggestions.
Excellent ideas, nartreb, from the links. I always assumed that hanging the the camera bag around your shoulder would be uncomfortable with the backpack waist belt and the bag would get in the way when hiking.
At present I clip a small, inexpensive Tamrac camera bag which holds my Rebel XTi and a 17-85 lens (plus extra batteries, memory cards and other small items) with two carabiners to the sternum strap of my hiking backpack. I had been attaching the bag to a harness under my backpack but found this to be too hot when I hike. The Tamrac bag is falling apart so I am looking for another one. I don't have the time or inclination to change lenses on a regular hike so my replacement bag will probably be of similar size. When I have the "luxury" of going on a "photoshoot" hike, I would like to be able to carry more lenses (I only have 3 at this point) and my big tripod. (That's an interesting idea, kmorgan, about using the string for stability. I bring along a small Slick tripod, but it takes a while to set up so I'll only use it for group summit shots etc.)
Still pondering my options. Thanks again for your help!

I think that the main rule about photo gear toting systems we use is that “one scheme does not fit all.”

For example, in my day-to-day work, which often entails in and out of a vehicle, and relatively short walks, a Domke shoulder bag works great to hold 2-3 extra lenses, flash unit, water bottle and supplies. I sling a camera with lens over my shoulder or around my neck. Add a tripod or monopod for some assignments. This even works for many sports jobs.

But (for me) it does not work worth a hoot for hiking.

I recommend Kinesis as a manufacturer, having used one of their larger camera “holster” bags (for a “full size” pro DSLR) that attaches to my rucksack shoulder straps and hangs across my chest and belly. This protects the camera and lens, and holds a flash unit, filters, etc. Big downside is it is big, and makes me feel like Mae West – somewhat awkward with view of my feet obscured (at least I can see my toes over my belly without the camera case!).

For day-hiking I also have come to like my Mountainsmith “Cairn” model lumbar pack, equipped with a shoulder harness accessory. An extra lens tucks into one of the mesh water bottle pockets. Another may ride inside the pack proper. Extra lenses are protected by Zing! Neoprene bags.

The Kinesis system, being modular, allows expansion or contraction to suit photo aims of the day. Experience with the Mountainsmith pack tells me I like the supportive belt and shoulder harness, which nicely distributes the load. If I had one wish from Kinesis it would be for availability of a larger “catchall” pouch for lunch, etc. But that might be available from another source.

By the way, once upon a time I was Mr. Steady and very proud of my ability to use a camera at alarmingly low shutter speeds, handheld or with minimalist improvised support. Age and health issues have wrought some changes. I would not, today, write off carrying a reasonable tripod setup, especially if my hike were also substantially planned as a photo trip. But camera support choice is another topic, altogether.

Good luck in your quest. If your experience in any way replicates mine, you will never find the “perfect” system. But with reflection over your own needs and work styles, and what makes you comfy, and patience, and determination, you definitely will come up with something that works for you.

G.

I use a normal backpack for my hiking gear and then hang a Lowe Pro top load zoom bag off of the hip belt. I put a carabiner through a clip on the camera bag and then clip it on a side strap of the backpack. That keeps the camera bag on your side. Otherwise it will just keep sliding down to the front and smack you wher eyou do not want to be smacked. The carabiner also keeps the camera bag attacked to your backpack when you unclip the hip belt. Otherwise when you unclip your hip belt to take your pack off the camera bag could just slip right off it and fall to the ground.

Depending on what lens I have on the camera, sometimes I can fit another lens in the bottom of the camera bag. Otherwise, extra lenses go in my main backpack. My tripod gets strapped to the side of my main pack.

Don't get one of those sling backpacks that go over one shoulder and let you sling it around and unzip it to get the camera out without taking the pack off. I got one and I hate it. It is really uncomfortable to have all that weight on one shoulder.

- darren

Picture of the camera bag on the hip belt:

7511-camerabag.jpg

Picure showing the carabiner holding the camera bag to the side of the backpack:

7467-carabiner.jpg

- darren

Darren-
I sometimes use a Lowepro Toploader 70AW attached to a halter when going on short photo shoot hikes. I can then use my regular Osprey daypack over the halter and the camera case is right in front for easy access. However this 70AW is BIG (I can't even see my feet or the ground in front of me, as described by Grumpy :().
What is the model of the Lowepro camera bag in the photos? Does the carabiner really keep the camera bag from getting in the way of hiking and climbing activities?
Joanne

In those photos, it is a LowePro Topload Zoom 1:

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Topload-Zoom-1,2051,8.htm

I take the shoulder strap off and put the carabine through the plastic clip that the shoulder strap is normally clipped to:

19-2256-SWTIMGZOOM.jpeg

I also do it with the Topload Zoom AW, which is a bigger bag (if you are going to carry a bigger lens as your primary lens):

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Topload-Zoom-AW,2053,8.htm

The bag has a belt loop on the back that the backpack hip belt goes through. I put the hip belt through, slide the bag to my side and then connect the carabiner to a side strap on the backpack. The carabiner holds the bag firmly on your hip. It can't slide down to the front.

Since it is on your side it does not block you view of the ground, which could be a safety hazard. On the first picture above where we were on a long traverse, I had the bag slung on the outside away from the rock face. I had turned around just for the photo. I was actually heading in the opposite direction.

Works for me. It keeps the bag out of my way and keeps the camera easy to get at. If my camera is in a backpack I wont take it out as much.

- darren

Thanks everybody for your help. I've just ordered a Lowepro Topload Zoom 1 camera bag to replace my well-worn Tamrac. I won't be getting a camera backpack but will use the new camera bag/Rebel XTi/17-85mm workhorse lens along with my Osprey daypack. Should work fine!