Suggestions for what to do in the Catskills

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shewolf

Reaction score
Ok, I know this is last minute, but I am headed down to Swan Lake tonight to meet my brother, sister-in-law and their horde (4 daughters) and have never been to this area. They are coming from South Central PA. We are camping, (I'm in a tent, they are in an air conditioned pop-up) and I was wondering if anyone had some good ideas on what I can do with them down there. My brother is an avid fly fisherman, so I was thinking a trip to the fly fishing museum was in order, but other than that, I am at a loss since I do not know that area. The girls love the outdoors and are 7, 6, 6 (yes, twins), and 1 1/2. Obviously we can't go on any strenuous hikes but I'd love some suggestions on possible short hikes I can take the three older ones or somewhere we can all go together... Ditto for any possible "attactrations" or events around that area. All suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!!!!

I used to live relatively close to there. Beautiful area and lots to do if you're into the outdoors.

Hiking: Something easy might be the hike into Echo Lake via the Overlook Mountain trailhead. It's an easy, gradual ascent to Overlook Mountain, where the ruins of an old hotel stand. There's also a firetower on top. Echo Lake itself is a very short hike down on the other side of Overlook Mt. and is quite scenic.

Touristy Stuff: The above trailhead is right next to Woodstock, which has a bunch of artsy fartsy little shops and places to eat. Some leftover hippies are still there also, which makes for interesting people watching.

Those are the best options I can recall. There are others here who live closer to the 'Skills and frequent the area more, and I'm sure they'll chime in. Good luck! :D

Isn't the Ausable River in the ADKs famous for fly fishing?

Re: The Catskills, I'm not a fisherman but I would suggest staying at Woodland Valley if they allow RVs. It's a nice tent site and I believe for fishermen, I think they fish right off Rt 28 on the Esopus. There is a campground right on Rt 28 that is called Sleepy Hollow, it's just west of the big old train depot in Phoenicia, however, the last time I went by, they only had the "e" in Sleepy and most of the letters missing in Hollow and it didn't look like the nicest of places, IMO. I've never stayed there.

That might allow for some fly fishing on the esopus and for nice hikes in the Phoenicia area for you... Wittenberg, Hunter, etc. etc.

As far as easy hikes, Artex's is spot on... Overlook is nice, I think Tremper is an easy hike to a firetower and in Phoenicia.

The hike from the end of Diamond Notch Road to DN falls is relatively mild. Get the NYNJTC Catskills map for trail info and parking.

Might also look at Ashoken HP for a moderate hike to fantastic views too.

Jay

Last edited:
From your note I gather you are staying in the Swan lake area. This is SW catskillls. Artex suggestion of Overlook/Echo lake is a nice hike, but a little far from where your're staying. Echo Lake may also be a little difficult for kids that age. The Overlook Fire tower is probably the limit.

Jay's suggestion of Tremper or Ashokan HP would be a shorter drive. Balsam Lake or Red Hill fire towers are also a possibilities. You may also want to consider the Shawangunks to the west. There are lots of carrage trail that make for easy walks. (I haven't hiked any of these trails recently so I can't give any first hand advise)

Good luck!

A 1 mile hike out to Dibble's Quarry is a great hike for kids. The quarry is full of thrones, chairs, tables, pillars, (all made of slabs of rock) and a 'secret cave'. :D Just drop down below the main throne and you will find the cave. There is also a spring down in the woods, about 200 feet straight down the hill.

See also:

http://vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6965

Tom, your suggestion is exactly what I was hoping for along the way of a hike with the girls. I think I can even coax my brother and sister-in-law to go along with the 1 1/2 year old. Do you know of any "neat" places to take the kids as well? I'm shying away from the Catskill game farm due to the distance.

Jay H, my brother's sanity isn't up for an 8 hour drive to the Adirondacks with four kids as of yet. I couldn't get him to make it all the way up to Malta, so we cut some of the distance and agreed on the Catskills...

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, if I can't use them this go around, I'll be using them for the next visit!!!! Keep 'em coming if you've got 'em!

Directions

Tom,

Is there a possibility you could give me general directions where I can pick up the Pecoy Notch Trail to Dibble's Quarry?

Thanks!

Shewolf said:
Tom, your suggestion is exactly what I was hoping for along the way of a hike with the girls. I think I can even coax my brother and sister-in-law to go along with the 1 1/2 year old. Do you know of any "neat" places to take the kids as well? I'm shying away from the Catskill game farm due to the distance.
I sent directions.

As for other places, there is a water park up near the Catskill Game Farm, but I can't recall the name/place. It's a lot of fun.

If you do go to the CGF, there are some pluses and minuses. The open pen is NOT a good place to take small kids, as the animals are very aggressive if you have food, or anything that looks like food. They scared my kids quite a bit. There are other parts of CGF that are certainly worth doing/seeing.

Candlestock, if it's still in Woodstock, has what the owner claims to be the world's largest candle. Also, the world's largest Kaliedoscope (sp?) is on Rt. 28 near Tremper/Phoenicia. Kaaterskill Falls, near Tannersville, is quite spectacular, easy to get to, (overrun with people on the weekend), but, also slightly dangerous. Be VERY careful with the kids if you go there! There are threads on this board about accidents there...

Rivet said:
Here is a web site with some kid friendly Catskill hikes...

http://www.catskillhikes.com/widkidz.html

Nice link, Rivet! From this list I recommend #2, 9a-d, 14, 17. From item 9 you could do more than 1 depending on strength of the hikers.

The name of the water park Tom mentioned is "Zoom Flume".

Another activity some kids enjoy in the Phoenicia area is a ride on The Catskill Mountain Railroad

A few hiking suggestions to supplement those already given:
  • Tusten Mountain. Short 3 mile loop, 590' climb, with views of the Delaware River.
  • Belleayre Nature Trail. About 3.5 mile round trip, 900' climb, from the Overlook Lodge. There is also a small nature center, and a sky ride for an easier way to the summit.
Other activities nearby:
  • August 12-14 Pow Wow Festival, Delaware Community Center, Callicoon, 845-887-4405
  • August 15-20 Delaware County Fair, Walton. One of the larger agricultural fairs in NY, and good family fun.
  • August 19-21 Grahamsville "Little World's Fair". It is small, but one of the true country/county fairs left. Good family fun.
  • Delaware and Ulster Rail Ride, Arkville.
  • Hunter Mountain skyride. However there are festivals at Hunter the next two weekends, and you would have to buy tickets to the festival to access the sky ride. In the past the German Alps Festival and Celtic Festivals have provided children's entertainment, however I did not see any advertised this year.

Last edited:
Mark, Wow, thanks so much for your help! My cup runeth over with options.

Again, thanks for everyone's help!

Perfect timing Shewolf I needed info and didn't look at your thread..i'm going to use some ideas for this sunday..maybe i'll bump into u with my daughter (9)..