Summer Rain pattern ending!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattl

Reaction score
It has rained almost everyday somewhere in NH over the last 2 months as most of you know. Rivers have flooded, bridges and roads have washed away, people have died(sadly), as well as record rainfall so far, but it looks like that pattern is ending. As of today, Tuesday, after one more afternoon of a few scattered showers, and thunderstorms, the upper level lows that have been coming through one after another, with a very intense airmass boundary in place, is lifting. That doesn't mean it wont rain over the next two weeks if a scattered storm develops, but in terms of widespead activity, it looks to be over! Everyone can cheer and go hiking this weekend, which looks beautiful. That can change, but looking at models for the next two weeks it it def. looks like the pattern is over for now. Anyone have any terrible wet hikes or almost get swept downstream? Time to get back to hiking. -Mattl

That's some of the best news I've heard in a while ... thanks!

(the pattern is welcome to return up north during ski season, as long as it's frozen precip)

I added this to another thread as well but it is apt for this one too, is there any correlation between how the weather is this summer and how the weather will be this winter or are those old adages you hear about a hot summer turning into a cold winter just fun alamanc tales? Will a rainy summer equate to a dry or snowy winter?

I don't think so, and have never seen any scientific evidence of that. Have to wait and see. -Mattl

You better be right on this one Matt or you might get pig piled the next time any of us see you on the trail :D

skiguy said:
You better be right on this one Matt or you might get pig piled the next time any of us see you on the trail :D

If Matt can't gaurantee an end to this rain AND a snowy, cold winter, lets send him unaware into the Hungry Bear thread. ;)

We should be nice to the meteorologist or they may come out swinging thier sling psychrometers like nunchucks.

I am probably going to get banned or stoned for this comment :eek: - but I prefer rain to snow...winter is nice, but I prefer the other three seasons... :D

It will seem very strange to hike this weekend with no real rain on the radar...

sapblatt said:
I am probably going to get banned or stoned for this comment :eek: - but I prefer rain to snow...winter is nice, but I prefer the other three seasons... :D

It will seem very strange to hike this weekend with no real rain on the radar...

So if I am not mistaken you do hike in the Winter...do you like it to rain then too?....if so that's when I'll get the stones out :p ;)

skiguy said:
So if I am not mistaken you do hike in the Winter...do you like it to rain then too?....if so that's when I'll get the stones out :p ;)
Me too! Rain is bad enough, but rain in the Winter is the pits!

ummmm - a typical summer day in the whites in the years I have been hiking is always 20 to 30 % chance of showers.... kind of the default.
heck - thats a good day. :)

I'm only happy when it rains
I'm only happy when it's complicated
And though I know you can't appreciate it
I'm only happy when it rains
- Garbage 1995

I agree with Giggy. The threat of rain will always there in the Northeast mountains, no matter how rosy the forecast looks. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to find the perfect day.

Last edited:
My point was to ask Matt to explain his prediction with respect to the not-so-much-in-agreement forecast. Yes, I know there is always the chance of showers / rain / T-storms, but I've also found there to be plenty of days where the threat is nearly zero, and have gotten through many trips with nary a cloud in the sky. It's the days where the forecast says rain that worry me :)

A short window of sun in a generally stormy forecast, 3-4 days out can easily shift forward to a work day :( or backwards to a work day :(.

Tim

Hike no matter what - we all have $100 plus rain suits and expensive boots - only thing I am overly mindful of is where is my a** when the lightning starts - made it off one ridge once - I like to be sure I am below treeline where I can be more easily killed by a falling tree than by a direct hit from lighting.