Summit photo gallery?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoySwkr

Reaction score
David Metsky said:
Someone should make a webpage. :) Maybe that's a project for me, summit signs.
While the idea of a summit sign webpage is interesting, it might be even more interesting to build a page of photos of summits with no signs to help identify them, particularly as more signs are removed. For instance it appears that several groups went to the "old" summit of Owls Head last weekend thinking they were at the new summit, and while I believe the AMC still counts it, at least one group was intending to hit the new summit. This might also include descriptions of actual highest points.

If DM isn't interested, maybe a project for ME/NH4

Anyway, I'll start with little-known info on a couple of 4k:

SOUTH CARTER - There is a summit sign of the AT but it's obvious that the woods to the W is a few feet higher, there is a herd path and cairn. What is not obvious is that there is a twin summit about 100 yards SW which requires a short bushwhack across a gully
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=19&n=4906296&e=326417&datum=nad83

CARRIGAIN - The "official" summit has a steel lookout tower and survey marker, but there is a twin summit about .1 miles W familiar to those heading for the Captain. At the top of the steep pitch where the trail swings R, follow herd path L to campsite then bushwhack to bump (high point of bump not visible from trail)

RoySwkr said:
CARRIGAIN - The "official" summit has a steel lookout tower and survey marker, but there is a twin summit about .1 miles W familiar to those heading for the Captain. At the top of the steep pitch where the trail swings R, follow herd path L to campsite then bushwhack to bump (high point of bump not visible from trail)
Dang, and I've been there twice already! :( :D

This is sort of like Hunter in the Catskills: regardless of which bump is higher, if you climb the tower, you are at the highest point!

Last edited:
What a wonderful idea!! :) I was on Owl's Head with MEB. Little Sister and Satori on Sunday and as hard as we tried we could not find the 2nd summit. We started to follow the herd path from the "old summit", and it seemed as though we were descending which was confusing to us, but there didn't seem to be any other paths to follow, so we kept going. It was really difficult navigating, we kept gettting off the trail and running up against some major blowdowns. At one point the path just seemed to end, and that 's when we made the decision to turn around. It was very frustrating for all of us, especially when we thought we didn't bag the peak. As we found out later, the AMC still counts the old summit for the "list" :)

I hope more people join in and contribute to this thread, for the first timer's hiking a peak it's nice having a description and or visual of the summits.
kmac

kmac, to get to the northerly "true" summit of OH, follow the crest of the ridge, rather than any herd paths. When I went to the summit last fall, I did not see any herd path that could be followed the entire distance from the "old" summit to the northerly true one. There was a small cairn, maybe a foot or so tall on the highpoint. Beyond the cairn in about 100 feet, the ridge will immediately start going downhill.

dms said:
kmac, to get to the northerly "true" summit of OH, follow the crest of the ridge, rather than any herd paths. When I went to the summit last fall, I did not see any herd path that could be followed the entire distance from the "old" summit to the northerly true one. There was a small cairn, maybe a foot or so tall on the highpoint. Beyond the cairn in about 100 feet, the ridge will immediately start going downhill.
that would explain it :rolleyes:
thanks. I will try again when I return this winter :)
kmac

kmac, I was also back on OH this past winter, and with snow on the ground you'll find it easier to follow the ridge, the woods open up a lot just before the summit, and there are some great views to the east from the summit area. Good luck!

dms said:
kmac, I was also back on OH this past winter, and with snow on the ground you'll find it easier to follow the ridge, the woods open up a lot just before the summit, and there are some great views to the east from the summit area. Good luck!