Sunapee Camping Options

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truepatriot09

Reaction score
Melrose, MA; Avatar: Prepping for my first 12 hour
So I'm heading up to the Sunapee area to do a xc mountain bike race next Sunday so the fam and I want to go up on Saturday and camp and hike around before Sunday's shindig. Where is a good place to camp? Prefer more backcountry style, but car camping campgrounds are cool too. We'll have our woofer with us (leashed of course) so that's a consideration.

Thanks folks!

Sunapee state park has a camping area with lean-to sites

Sunapee Camping

I've looked into it previously, but never used them.

pillsbury state park is also nearby and has primitive and boat-only access sites

There is also a shelter south of Sunapee on the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway but that would require a multi mile pack in.

Update: I just checked and Sunapee is full next Saturday, and Pillsbury has one reservable and a couple of walk to sites left. Your fellow bikers may have reserved before you.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Years ago, there used to be "NO CAMPING" signs up at Lake Solitude, but they have been gone for quite a while and many have been camping there. It is very nice there. This is not to suggest that there is a crowd. Drive up Rt 103, turn left onto Mountain Rd. and park at the start of the Andrew Brook Trail. If you have spare time, go around the North side of the pond and follow the Monadnock/Sunapee trail for a bit. The first mile or so is beautiful.
If you would like a loop hike, there is a turn to the left about 1 mile from the pond with a painted arrow and "VIEW". After the "VIEW" you can follow the red blazes along the top of the ledges and back to Mountain Rd. It is a nice hike.