Sunapee - Ragged - Kearsarge Greenway #1 & #2

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tramper Al

My Dad and I got in a nice cool wet Greenway hike on Saturday, from Newbury Harbor to Sunapee Town Hall.
Map 1
Map 2
SRKG Home We had a nice hike, 12.0 miles and 2350 elevation gain, taking in Mt. Sunapee and the northern terminus of the Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway. I just wondered if anyone else around VFTT has done any hiking on the SRKG?

Hi Tramper,

A friend of mine lives quite close to the SRKG and we've been talking about hiking it for a while now. I think you've given me the impetus to finally do it.

Turnbill said:
Hi Tramper,
A friend of mine lives quite close to the SRKG and we've been talking about hiking it for a while now. I think you've given me the impetus to finally do it.
Hey Turnbill,

Sounds good.

We found it to be a pleasant route so far. On Saturday it was rainy and windy, with temps in the mid 40's. I even got a little hypothermic, stubbornly leaving warm clothes in my pack. We surprised 4 or 5 white tails in a wetland and had other typical wildlife sightings as well. So, in a way it was like a mini-White Mt. experience.

I should mention here that the SRKG does have some road-walking miles in between forest trail routes, much like the long trails I have hiked in southern NE (MST and NST). Our rough look at all the sections suggests it's about 3/4 trail, 1/4 (country) road.

Have fun!

I've done some of the trail sections in Sutton and pretty much everything on Mount Kearsarge. I help out from time to time at one of the parks on Kearsarge, so I'm pretty familiar with the mountain.

Double Bow said:
Are there any places where one can camp on the route?
Officially (web site), they are saying no camping. It goes through several state parks, and each will likely have rules about camping, though I'm not sure what they are. It looks like Sunapee State Park does have a campground, and we did see a sign pointing to camping 1.0 down the Rim Trail, as you can see "campground" marked on Map 1 (link above). Sorry I don't know more.

For backpacking, I think you'll find the MSG is much better set up for camping, with several designated sites along the way.

Last edited:
Ragged, Kearsarge, Sunapee

these 3 mts have much to offer. The Lincoln Trail on Kearsarge gains a lot of elevation through a variety of forests and finishes off an great ledges leading to an open summit.
On Ragged the Geenway follows a ridge with a lot of craggy up and down and lovely untrodden forest trails.
Sunapee has trails ranging from steep and rocky to gentle ski slopes...and steep ski slopes, great for sliding down in April and May, full of flowers in June and July.
And all have 3 state views.

Officially, there's no camping in either Rollins State Park or Winslow State Park on Mt. Kearsarge. However, much of the land on Mt. K is owned by the NH Forests and Lands Dept., I'm not sure what their restrictions are.

keep me in the loop...

for these two hikes, since they are *relatively* close to me.

RoySwkr said:
It is closer to 50/50 if you count Class VI roads and logging roads, I did a spreadsheet once.
That sounds right, too. I was not counting Class VI and former logging roads, only because I really enjoy hiking them just as much as any footpath, through the same woods.