Sunrise Shots from Mt. Major 10/14/2013

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John in NH

Reaction score
IMG_2917-1.JPG

Despite my romance with the coyotes of Belknap county and having come face to face with a massive bear at 30 foot distance a week ago on the 3 ponds loop, I put aside my fears of things that go howl and growl in the night, and headed up the pitch black Mount Major Trail at 5:40 am yesterday. I have been up Major at least 40 times, as it is part of a regular trail running routine for me, but had never done it in the dark. It was cool how I had individual rocks and trees memorized, even in the headlamp tunnel vision.

I got to the top just as first deep magenta light developed in the Eastern sky. I was the only one around, except the guy who climbs major every day (don't know if he wants to be named). A routine and often crowded place became a completely different, special, and powerful place for me as I took photos for the next two hours.

IMG_2882-2.JPG

Pre-sunrise lighting

IMG_2864-1.JPG

The summit rocks were soon bathed in purple, this is no trick

IMG_2887-1%2520belknap%2520clouds%2520pouring.JPG

Belknap Mountain had awesome fog pouring over its summit, behind the ridge of Mt. Straightback

IMG_2899-1.JPG

The "regular" made it back to the summit for his second time that morning just as the sun was rising. Lost in conversation with one of the other member of the Mt. Major early morning club that has developed. Wonderful to see such community in the mountains.

IMG_2968-1%2520forest%2520for%2520the%2520trees.JPG

It was a long wait before the Straightback slopes weren't half shadowed to get a clean shot of the peak foliage

IMG_2973-1.JPG

Final look across Winnipesaukee to the Ossipees and Whites over a sea of foliage

Only downside to the morning was dropping my graduated neutral density filter and cracking it and being a few minutes late getting home to take care of my daughters so my wife could start work at 9 am on this "holiday" Monday. Oops!

Mac "having come face to face with a massive bear at 30 foot distance a week ago"

Could've been worse. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...alls-1.2021414

Ha, yes! I didn't have to reach into the beast's mouth! All I had to do to scare him off was have him take one look at me. I was rounding a blind bend with thick hobblebush. The bear stood up, turned his head, then turned tail and ran off in the opposite direction shaking the ground like a galloping horse. Again that was on the three ponds loop near Stinson lake, nh, not Major. I think the crowds have scared off even the squirrels there.

Greg YEAH! Your poor wife. How does she deal with a man that hikes constantly???

No, I don't have a problem... I am not a hiking addict. I only risked missing my child's birth to hike to do a presi-traverse... oh wait, that was you. On a serious note, she is a great woman, just not onto my scam yet.

Kevin, Judy and Emma

Sweet!

natron

looks like a great sunrise hike! pix 2 and 5 are my favorites.

Thanks both for the kinds words. Picture 5, the silhouette of the two talking, was my favorite too because it really captures an early morning ritual up there.

Last edited:
Fantastic photos - the colors you were able to capture were amazing! Worth getting out so early for, of course, you were probably awake anyway. ;)