Sunscreen - friend or foe?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got one

I got sunburn while seakayaking in January.

Maybe some other folks can chime in and tell us if they have gotten or can get sunburn between Nov and Feb in the northern states.

I'm dark haired and usually don't but I can burn.

Love sardines!

Speaking of sunscreen, the FDA has announced tougher labelling standards for sunscreen and require new testing for sunscreens' ability to block UV A rays.

If I spend a sunny winter day above treeline without sunscreen there's a good chance my face will be quite burned between the direct sun, reflected sun and the wind.

I agree, I can easily burn while in direct sunlight.
I use Neutrogena SPF 85 sunblock and it works quite well.

FYI – if you feel the need to use products containing zinc oxide, diaper rash ointment is an inexpensive alternative.

The RDI for Vitamin D is 600 IU/day. From my normal diet I receive 400 IU/day. I'm not concerned about the amount of Vitamin D I receive daily.

16 years ago I watched my 52 yo brother die from Melanoma.

I consider sunscreen a friend.

Here's some interesting information about clothing and how it relates to sun blocking properties. This comes from Dr. Gabe Mirkin. I receive his interesting blogs weekly and often find them pertinent to what I have been wondering. In this blog, I was interesting in learning about the colors that are better, for example that black is better than white. This means I can wear black now between Memorial Day and Labor Day and not feel guilty about the old standards of dress! :p

CLOTHES ARE FAR MORE PROTECTIVE THAN SUN SCREENS: In one study, participants completed questionnaires on the frequency with which they used sun screens, wore a hat or long sleeves, or stayed in the shade, in comparison to their number of sunburns in the past year. Although using sun screens is the most common sun protective behavior, use of sun screens does not reduce risk for sunburns. Those who avoid the sun by seeking shade or wearing long sleeves are far less likely to suffer sunburns (Cancer Causes and Control, June 2011). Wear a hat that covers your ears, a shirt, and arm coolers on your arms when you exercise outdoors.

CLOUDS DON'T PROTECT YOU: Up to 80 percent of the sun's UV rays can pass through clouds to damage your skin.

GLASS DOES NOT PROTECT YOU: Glass blocks UVB rays that are the primary causes of skin cancer and sunburns, but they do not block UVA that can also cause skin cancer and aging.

BEACH UMBRELLAS DO NOT PROTECT YOU: UV rays are reflected towards you from sand and water. Studies show that you get up to 84 percent of the exposure to UV radiation under an umbrella that you receive in the open sun.

DARK COLORED FABRICS BLOCK UV RAYS BETTER THAN LIGHT COLORS: The colors that block the most UV include black, deep blue, orange and red.

TIGHTLY WOVEN FABRICS BLOCK MORE UV THAN LOOSER WEAVES. Hold the material up to a light source. The more light that passes through a fabric, the more UV will also pass.

CLOUDS DON'T PROTECT YOU: Up to 80 percent of the sun's UV rays can pass through clouds to damage your skin.

BEACH UMBRELLAS DO NOT PROTECT YOU: UV rays are reflected towards you from sand and water. Studies show that you get up to 84 percent of the exposure to UV radiation under an umbrella that you receive in the open sun.

Ellen,

Are there more detailed ranges or conditions available for these two numbers? I am always cautious when something reads "up to ..." since the number at the end is almost always under ideal circumstances and in the interest of the person making the statement. I.e., "Made with 100% real lobster" could mean that the pollock and mayonnaise was stirred with an old lobster claw.

I know personally from years of fishing that the reflected rays off the water will burn you - so a hat while necessary is not sufficient.

Tim

Tim - I know what you mean. The information came as part of an email blog from Dr. Gabe Mirkin. From other things of his I have read and shared, he appears to me to be a good source of information. He also is a researcher about his topics, so though they may lean in his direction of thought, they are not soley his beliefs.

Funny about sun and the beach. My mother insisted that I not go hiking the weekend before my daughter's wedding. Though she is not a worrier, she was afraid I might get hurt with cuts and scrapes and bruises, or maybe brake something. Instead I spent a novel day at the beach, under cover, with a friend and suffered the worst sunburn ever. You could even see the sharp outline of the pendant I was wearing!

I agree, I can easily burn while in direct sunlight.
I use Neutrogena SPF 85 sunblock and it works quite well.

FYI – if you feel the need to use products containing zinc oxide, diaper rash ointment is an inexpensive alternative.

The RDI for Vitamin D is 600 IU/day. From my normal diet I receive 400 IU/day. I'm not concerned about the amount of Vitamin D I receive daily.

.org/wiki/Melinoma]Melan16 years ago I watched my 52 yo brother die from .

I consider sunscreen a friend.

I dont blame you, sorry about your brother.