Sunset hiking - tips, opinions, etc.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket21

Reaction score
While waiting for the sunset in the southern Ossipees yesterday, I began thinking of all of the things I've learned over the years from sunset hiking. When the clocks are changed, my after work hiking possibilities suddenly limited to sunset hikes, so I generally do 20-30 or so a year. While I have learned a lot from that experience, perhaps the biggest thing I've learned is that I still have a lot to learn!

Anyways, I thought I'd get this started with some things I've concluded/hypothesized:

- Pre-hike your route. It's important to know the trail in daylight, so that a) you know how much time it takes to get up it, b) you know the terrain for descending in the dark, and c) you know there is a westerly view for the actual sunset.

- If you can, watch the radar and satellite imagery before you depart. Sometimes you can detect a thick band of junk closing in from the west (thus dramatically minimizing the chances of seeing any color), while other times, on the poorest of afternoons, you may be able to detect a lessening of clouds to the west.

- Clear days tend to result in mediocre sunsets (less particles in the air, no clouds to illuminate), while particularly cloudy days can result in the best sunsets (or absolute duds).

- Let someone know where you're going, and do not stray from that route.

- Bring two headlamps, in case the first dies on you.

- Always be prepared to be colder than you think it'll be. Even in the summer, the winds from the west can cool things down big time. Since you'll be standing still to watch the event, you'll be cooling down rather quickly.

- Take lots of photos, from different zooms and different settings (this is a generic point and shoot camera statement). I've found that sometimes my best photos were ones that I thought were mediocre while I took them, while the ones I thought would be the best ended up being poor.

- When you figure the best colors have passed and it's time to go, stay. I've often made this conclusion, only to see a more vivid display suddenly occur once I reached the trees.

- As an addition to the previous item, if you have any inclination unrelated to patience (ie you're getting cold, etc.), don't stay, get going! The risk factor is extremely elevated at night.

- If there's an eastern viewpoint, check it out on occasion - sometimes the best colors will be behind you.

Those are some of the things I can think of offhand. I'm most certainly an amatuer, however, so perhaps some of the pros can chime in and give us their expert tips!

Excellent tip sheet! Every item checks off perfectly against my own experiences.

G.

Bring something comfy to sit on and a nice hot drink to enjoy. Savor slowly the moment.

Bring...a nice hot drink to enjoy.

Funny you mention that, I just bought my first thermos the other day for that purpose. I suspect it might help make these late fall/winter sunsets a little less cold! Good tip!

A thermos of hot cocoa on North Moat a few Christmas Eve's ago.... What a sunset! And spectacular lights in North Conway for the descent. Nice tips Rocket!

A good source for times for sunrise, sunset, moonrise, moonset, twilight, etc... is the US Naval Observatory. If there is a full moon it rises in the east and a descending route with eastern exposure will give you the most moonlight to hike out by.

A good source for times for sunrise, sunset, moonrise, moonset, twilight, etc... is the US Naval Observatory. If there is a full moon it rises in the east and a descending route with eastern exposure will give you the most moonlight to hike out by.

Ah, thank you for reminding me of that.

- Western shoulder trails tend to make an easier hike back thanks to late light from the sunset.

Having a P&S with a manual setting is a big plus for sunsets, otherwise the camera tends to overexpose the scene. My best sunsets have usually happened on smaller hills.

If there is a full moon it rises in the east and a descending route with eastern exposure will give you the most moonlight to hike out by.
Quibble: the moon always rises in the east. The full moon, however, rises around the same time as sunset.

Anywhere between new and full moon will give you some light to hike out from a sunset. The older the moon is (in that range), the more light you'll have, and the further east it'll be. First quarter still gives quite a bit of light and is high in the sky at sunset.

(I'll have to add this to a problem set next time I teach AS101.)

Quibble: the moon always rises in the east. The full moon, however, rises around the same time as sunset.

Anywhere between new and full moon will give you some light to hike out from a sunset. The older the moon is (in that range), the more light you'll have, and the further east it'll be. First quarter still gives quite a bit of light and is high in the sky at sunset.

(I'll have to add this to a problem set next time I teach AS101.)
Of course, you realize it's nowhere near that simple! :D

The Moon can rise as far North as Azimuth 55 for my location in Winter, and it can therefore rise as far South as Azimuth 125 in Summer. That's 70 degrees of variation! Make sure you tell your students what day it is! :D

Most of my hikes are sunrise or sunset seekers. There is little better feeling in the world to me than gazing upon a beautiful soft landscape from high above the rest of the world. It is something that everyone needs to experience. The points Jeremy makes are great to get into this avenue of hiking. I'll add a little, and empesize a lot from my experience...

Little peaks with views and short hikes to overlooks without reaching peaks are great to explore for these types of hikes.

Being sure of your route, and having extra light is very important. Being prepared to spend the night out is another thing that I cannot stress enough, or better yet, just plan on spending the night. And certainly, if you are watching the sunset...you are going to get cold...bring extra clothes.

As for the sunsets themselves...incoming storms are better at sunrise, as the sun lights up the western clouds from the east. Departing storms are better at sunset, because the sun lights up the eastern clouds from the west. The old red sky fable is correct...

Jeremy mentions this , but it's worth stressing taht because you want clouds, there is often little difference in sky before an '10' and a '0' sunset. Whether or not the clouds break at the horizon is the only difference...so patience...and waiting until 10 minutes after sunset atleast are important. Too many times, like rocket, I've given up only to see some amazing light on the way down, kicking myself...

The rewards...and hopefully these photos below will inspire anyone. They motivate me...but use the tips above...as it was very dark right before or right after these pictures...

3009189292_556b433e0a.jpg

1429532106_f45eb7b8aa.jpg

2106963076_ed8a935062.jpg

2922247856_08c04fd1f5.jpg

1806059492_3b9af8669e.jpg

2939359880_0db9b1925e.jpg

2946846744_4316bc26ec.jpg

Last edited:
I have not recorded it, but have seen it a few times, all from Caribbean beaches. The flat ocean horizon seems to give you the best odds.

I've seen it twice - while fishing offshore. Both times it was sunrise however, (being on the east coast and all.) The ocean is the ultimate horizon...

Spectacular examples, BTW, Jim...

Tim

Last edited:
Awesome pictures, Jim S./w7xman, as always. Are the bottom two of the Presidential Range as seen from No. Conway or below, near the Maine border, with Kearsarge No. in between? (EDIT: I'm virtually positive I'm right about that.)

Last edited:
Awesome pictures, Jim S./w7xman, as always. Are the bottom two of the Presidential Range as seen from No. Conway or below, near the Maine border, with Kearsarge No. in between? (Shot-in-dark offered with little confidence.)

Thanks...many sunrise and sunset hikes...so few end like this...but when they do...wow!
Locations, from top to bottom:
1) Washington
2) Pierce
3) near Clay Col
4) Crag Mountain (Shelburne)
5) Middle Sugarloaf
6) Black Cap
7) Foss Mountain

Last edited:
Two more tips:

- In hunting season, turn on your headlamp when it starts to get dark, as to help stand out even more.

- In any season at dark when parked roadside, leave your handlamp on until you're in your vehicle and ready to drive. It helps drivers a lot to be able to see headlamps from a distance (ie to know there's a person there, and where they are).

- In any season at dark when parked roadside, leave your handlamp on until you're in your vehicle and ready to drive. It helps drivers a lot to be able to see headlamps from a distance (ie to know there's a person there, and where they are).
You could also turn the car's emergency blinkers on to indicate that something unusual is going on near the car.

When walking along a road after dark, I use my headlamp to indicate my presence. Velcro-on reflective bands (eg http://www.rei.com/product/631128) also work well. The reflective bands (or a bit of stick-on reflector on the back or your headlamp headband/battery case) also make it much easier for following hikers to spot you.

Doug

Last edited:
I agree...

with all of the above tips, but one thing I would emphasize is very evident in Jim's photos. You'll notice that in none of these pictures do you actually see the sun, just the results of it's low angle light. While I like to watch the sun actually rise, it is the light it casts on the surrounding landscape that makes for the best photos.

37mwovolunteer1107.jpg

And as someone pointed out, sometimes you just need to look behind you.

30sugarloafs10606.jpg

Pre-dawn light is always nice.
24isolation92307.jpg

As is a nice afterglow at sunset, like this one of Jim at work.

36mwo112306.jpg

KDT