sunset hill

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grayjay

Reaction score
Here are some questions for Ossipee Range enthusiasts. Is the first lookout on the Mount Roberts Trail the one called Sunset Hill? Was the old carriage road that winds behind the present day stable built to reach it?
We went up there for an evening stroll the other day, and got there after the sun had dipped behind the horizion. Marvelous profile of dark peaks to the west. Another question-- what is the larger peak across the lake from there? Cardigan was to the north of it. I swear it looked like Kearsarge South, but seemed way too far north for that. It even looked like it had a tower on top like KS.

Grayjay said:
Is the first lookout on the Mount Roberts Trail the one called Sunset Hill?
I have seen 3 different places labelled "Sunset Hill" or somesuch on different maps.
Was the old carriage road that winds behind the present day stable built to reach it?
Who knows? With luck a carriage road plan will turn up to answer that and other questions.
Another question-- what is the larger peak across the lake from there? Cardigan was to the north of it. I swear it looked like Kearsarge South, but seemed way too far north for that. It even looked like it had a tower on top like KS.
Next time, take a bearing or a photo :)

Belknap is of course the close big range, Ragged is more of a jumbled ridge with cell tower at top of ski area.

Next time, take a bearing or a photo :)

Belknap is of course the close big range, Ragged is more of a jumbled ridge with cell tower at top of ski area.

I agree with Roy that a bearing or photo greatly aid after-the-fact summit identification. Moreover, I don't have a good photo across the Lake from Roberts. For what it's worth, however, I attach this one, which I took form nearby Bald Knob on July 4. As Roy noted, the Belknaps dominate the SW view, and you may be able to make out the tower on top of Mt. Belknap - the highest summit - as well as the ski slopes of Gunstock to its right.

The day was hazy, like my photo, so I'm not positive, but I believe the first, more distant mountain to the right of the Belknaps is Kearsarge, while to its right is the "jumbled ridge" of Ragged. You would need excellent eyesight and a remarkably clear day to have any chance of discerning the tower on Kearsarge from the Ossipees, I think.

Thanks. Yes, the view of kearsarge South was amazing at that time of day, and the tower was distinctly visible.

Yes, the view of kearsarge South was amazing at that time of day, and the tower was distinctly visible.

I was back on that first outlook from the Roberts Trail Sunday morning, in better viewing conditions, and took a much clearer picture of Kearsarge from it. You may be able to make out the tower, which I seemed to see.

That outlook is very near the "Sunset Hill" I've seen on at least one map.