synthetic sleeping bag

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolion

Reaction score
okay so i need help/advice on a sleeping bag for use on the LT in august. last summer when i was camping in august i used a 30 degree bag and practically froze some nights when it was especially wet out ( like camping on the beach, in a tent with long underwear, fleece hat ect) so basically i am looking for a bag that is: synthetic, lightweight, compacts easily and is warmer then a "30 degree" rating.
i know down is lightweight, compacts more and tends to be more reliably warm but i really dont want to risk the chance of it getting wet on a trail that is notoriously wet , and me being a klutzy idiot who would get it wet.

thanks for any advice
:)

Wiggy's

I just ordered a Wiggy's overbag for my 0 degree bag. it is part of a system of several bags that are used together for diffierent temperature ranges. They also zip together. I'll check back after I try mine out this weekend.

www.wiggys.com

Mike

Last edited:
Mt Hardware bag

I use a synthetic MH Brand New (yeah, that's the model name) bag. I don't think they put out that model any more. It is realistically rated to 20 degrees and I've used it in mych colder weather. I love it.

I'm a down convert and have a practically new MH 15F bag i'll sell you at a deep discount, 2d Dimension it's called. Great bag, has both a full zip and an expander zip so very versatile, good from about 15F up to 65F. Lemme know, you name a fair price and it's yours amigo. :D

Pucknuts61 said:
I just purchased a Sierra Designs Wild Bill (not quite as nice as the Cat's Meow, but suits my needs). I can't use a down bag either, so I'm always looking for synthetic, and the Polargard 3D appears to be the right stuff when it's wet.

Puck, thats exactly the bag i was useing last year. are you a warm sleeper? it was a pretty good bag most of the time except for those few times and its those times that makes me really nervous to take it out on a long trip.

Carolion -- I am an extremely cold sleeper and I've had really good luck with a The North Face Cat Walk sleeping bag. (I had major troubles being cold even in warm weather with other brands until I finally was happy with this one.) It's a 20 degree synthetic bag and I've found it good to just below 30 degrees alone. But I'm comfortable down to 20 when I pair it with a silk liner. I don't know how close your bag is getting to the rating, but if it's within 10 degrees, you might want to try a liner... it will be cheaper than buying a whole new bag.

- Ivy

rondak46 said:
I just ordered a Wiggy's overbag for my 0 degree bag. it is part of a system of several bags that atre used together for diffierent temperature ranges. they also zip together. I'll check back after I try min out this weekend.

www.wiggys.com

Mike

I hike in northern New England year round. I own decent down gear (mostly Western Mountaineering) but if I expect damp air and wet ground, I only carry synthetic, and if it's synthetic it's going to be Wiggy's. I have the Ultima Thule bag, the Single person Bivy, and even the SS water bottle and insulator.
If you have a question about their gear, call them. Odds are that Jerry Wigutow (Wiggy) will take you're call.

Hi Carolion,
This is my first season with the SD but I did a lot of research and testing and think this is the right bag for me for the money. I have a tendency to not spend a lot of $$ on myself because I have 2 kids that think I'm a walking ATM, so I over-research and choose what I think will be the best gear for the lowest price.
I am a warm sleeper, but will still carry a fleece liner during early spring or late fall, just in case. The SD Wild Bill is rated as +20 but I haven't done any winter overnights, and I know already that I wouldn't use this bag for a winter night in the Whites.

EMS 0 Deg bag w/polargard 3d

I spent Sunday night camping at South Meadows. It was cold; but I just checked www.weather.com for the low on that night and I was surprised to find that it got to -6. I had poly long johns and a cotton Long sleeve shirt. My bag is 6 years old and I was warm, but not toasty warm.
I am pretty impressed with this sleeping bag.

Mike

Last edited:
my overbag is in..

I just recieved my Wiggy's overbag. It is nice. It will serve anss a summer bag, and a winter overbag. It compresses very nicely and is quite lite.It is also storable in the compression sack. It also came with a nice pillow. It will probably be next year before I can test it in sub-zero weather but I feel like I have a good system now.

Mike