Taconic Crest Trail - Snow Hole

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bridgeman

Reaction score
Hiked from Petersburgh Pass, north to the snow hole and back on 5/6. There was intermittent light drizzle and a slight breeze an best of all no blackflies.

The foliage is just starting to emerge, which may be the reason for the lack of flies.

This was my first time on this trail and I was impressed with the excellent condition of the trail.

The snow hole had plenty of snow piled up dispite the low snow year. My two girls had a good time exploring the different crevices and sinkholes in the area.

I'm looking forward to returning to this area in late summer to take advantage of the blueberries that appear to be so prevalent along the trail, and to explore different sections.

Does anyone know the approximate time that the blueberries will be ripe? I'm assuming mid to late August? Also are there any links or sources that provide a good trail description?

I've long been interested in that section and really would like to get up there this year. Although I have'nt paid too much attention to dates, I do remember the huge amounts of blueberries in the S. Taconics around the 4th of July two years ago. Not so much last year though.

Dave

That's a nice hike with many views from the various open bumps along the way.

Once we found the post where three states come together. One side is Vermont another NY and the third Mass. It is kind of neat to be able stand in a position where you are in three states at the same time.

Not sure where exactly that is but it is along one of those side paths that go east into the woods along the ridge.