Taking my dog to Maine to hike/vacation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shewolf

Reaction score
This month the bf, I and my 2 year old german shepherd plan to go to Maine. Since Acadia is the most dog friendly NP, that I know of, of course, we'll be spending a few days there. Since this is the first trip to Maine for any of us, I was wondering if anyone can give us some suggestions on great places we can go with the dog. We plan on camping while at Arcadia...

We'll be leaving from Plattsburgh, NY...so any suggestions for great stops along the way or off the beaten path are welcome, especially if they can include the furry beast...I got him from a rescue last August and has since become a seasoned hiker...

Just avoid Baxter State Park which is not dog friendly, and "ladder" trails in Acadia which may give your dog trouble

ANP is so all consuming that you might want to stay longer.
My first visit there, I intended to say only a few days and I stayed 10. Couldn't wait to go back.
One of favorite loops on the Carriage roads is Witch hole Pond. I think it's approx 7 miles long with great visuals.
It's really easy to get around and there are great maps of the park. Sunrise and sunset on Cadillac should not be missed. Are you staying at Blackwoods?
There is too much to describe in one little post.
ENJOY!

Maddy, I suspect we will be staying longer than expected. Right now we have reservations for four days, but may extend it if possible. We are figuring on a day's drive there and back, so that takes two days off our 8 day trip. Yep, staying at Blackwoods...figured why not stay close to the "action"....LOL

I've been to several NPs over the years, but am excited about Acadia b/c it's a vacation we can spend with the pooch. Definitely have at least one sunrise and one sunset on Cadillac Mt. on our agenda. However, I've heard it can get quite crowded up there at times. I'm hoping with school being back in, we might encounter less folks...

All of the crowds are gone once school starts up, you should find the island very quiet, except for a few tourists here and there on the weekend. I would just recommend reading a guidebook before you decide which hikes you do with the dog, as quite a few of them have steep ladders.

Thanks for the infor King tut...I did buy a guide book when we originally planned to go last year, but unfortunately, that trip got canceled. I found a day kennel in Bar Harbor so on the day or days we choose to do some of those trails, we'll drop Phoenix off at the kennel for the day or part of the day.

RoySwkr said:
Just avoid Baxter State Park which is not dog friendly
That means NO dogs allowed, under ANY circumstances. No exceptions. (I know, I tried years ago.)

A few more of my favorite things at the park.
1. Tea or coffee and popovers with homemade strawberry jam (to die for) at the Jordan House restaurant. If the weather is nice you can eat outside and enjoy the wonderful view of Jordan Pond and the Bubbles in the distance.
They are really organized and they process people very efficiently so I have never had to wait any length of time. They give you a flashing beeper so you can go check the beautiful gift shop next door while you wait.
2. The horse and carriage ride up Day MT at sunset is lots of fun. Takes about 2 hrs and the driver stops at various places and the summit. If you want to go, I recommend you make a reservation early in the am when they open up because they fill up fast. There are other shorter rides but I don't think they are worth it. Dress warm and they do give you blankets.
3.Another great walk parallels the auto road. It's called Ocean Path, approx 1-2 miles, starts at the Sand Beach area but near the road, and goes all the way to Otter Cliffs, passing by Thunder Hole. Great visuals, but then again, the entire park has great visuals.
4. There is a dirt road, short walk, from Blackwoods that takes you right down to some neat cliffs overlooking the ocean. Nice place to enjoy a cup java in the am.
ENJOY!

Bignslow - GREAT trip report! Thanks for the information! We'll be trying to so as much hiking with the dog as possible, so some of the ladder trails will be nixed except for the one day we plan to drop him off at the day kennel.

Maddy, thanks for your recommendations. I've been told we need to go over to Jordan Pond for a popover...With outside seating, even the dog might be treated to one...but then again, he may have to settle for a pig's ear while we enjoy our popovers.

Definitely looking forward to going....we are heading out Saturday, yes in the rain, and planning on staying until Friday.

Mad Townie said:
That means NO dogs allowed, under ANY circumstances. No exceptions. (I know, I tried years ago.)
Not true, you just have to go blind :)

Read about Orient in "Blind Courage"

RoySwkr said:
Not true, you just have to go blind :)

Read about Orient in "Blind Courage"

If you knew my dog, you'd know that ain't happening...he's the energizer bunny with ants in his pants. I'd get snagged in a heartbeat!