tarpon140, necky dolphin

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the starchild

Reaction score
hello,

i have paddled my 14ft carolina for many years on day trips and camping trips. i have always wanted a SOT that could do the same in nice weather, be more fun for swimming/snorkaling and since i am going to the glades and keys for a few weeks now is the time to get one!

i am pretty sold on the tarpon140, but just got a good offer on a used dolphin, but haven't researched it as much, and need to make a decision soon, so i figured i'd post here. any thoughts? especially if you own the necky as i know much less.

thanks for any beta,

william

The Trapon 140 is a nice SOT but you don't have the luxury of having it be an extenstion of your lower body as you have with the Carolina (unless you get thigh straps). This will probobly reduce your amount of control (again, unless you have thigh straps).

Why not consider the 160?

I've never seen the Dolphin.

the 160 is too long. too much boat for what i intend to use it for. the tracking is waaaay better, but not worth the extra length, loss of turning radius and $$$.

the loss of control from a Sit-in to a SOT is gladly traded for the warm water of the keys and all the new possibilites of a SOT.

i'll be doing mostly day trips and just having fun falling out of the boat and into the water for swimming and snorkling.

i bought the necky, but haven't paddled it yet. i like it alot except for the size of the front hatch cover...too small, but other than that i like the design.

thanks for your thoughts.