Taxi service in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1SlowHiker

Reaction score
I’m playing with the idea of getting a two day Bonds, Zealand, and possibly Hale traverse in before the equinox, overnighting at Guyot CG or Z. Hut. Has anyone had any experience with trying to get trailhead taxi service in the Whites in the winter. Cost? Reliability? Closest cell phone connectivity at either end.

Maybe is my thru-hiker trash leanings, but I have successfully hitched from Twin Mtn/Zealand area back to Lincoln Woods three times in the past.

As long as you look like a hiker it should be a piece of cake

I'll bet a cardboard sign that said "VFTT'er to Lincoln Woods" would ensure success!

Maybe is my thru-hiker trash leanings, but I have successfully hitched from Twin Mtn/Zealand area back to Lincoln Woods three times in the past.

As long as you look like a hiker it should be a piece of cake

That may be an option. But I've been told I have a mean looking face. So I may need a back up plan after standing in the road a few hours inthe cold.
Maybe Karma will work, I've never pass up a hiker hitching or that looks like he needs a ride :)

I used (I think it's called) 'Turtle Taxi' to get from Dana Place to Wildcat Mountain on an incredibly snowy day in 2008. I also used the 'Shuttle Connection' to get from Ethan Pond to Franconia Notch in 2005. Both were successful forays, set up ahead of time. Prices were considerable, but very fair (lotsa miles!).

I can also attest to the special culture that allows hitchhiking when you're obviously what you look like (a hiker tryin' to get home!); a friend had a good suggestion once: Mickey Mouse sweatshirt. Now, cotton doesn't work, but the idea of looking harmless sets a whole different rule-set up there.

Lastly, I've used a bike to get from the Carrigain trailhead to the Nancy Pond trailhead on Rte 302. Apart from the bumpy ride down to the road, it worked great.

I've found Verizon cell coverage to be a tad spotty up there; I recommend doing as much as possible ahead of time.

Lastly, there are searchable threads with data on taxis & such that have helped me in the past.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I am not aware of any taxi services in the region, rather there are shuttle services that you need to make an appointment with. The biggest by far is the Shuttle Connection in Lincoln. I have also seen Fast Taxi in North Conway fairly active in the region. As you will find, the cost will very expensive as either service is going to cover a lot of miles from their home base and you will pay for it. I think there is cell service at the end of Zealand Road at 302 but not sure of what is available at Lincoln Woods.

Last edited:
Slight typo ... two letters transposed, correct link is Trail Angels Hiker Services. The possibility of a typo is why I always preview my p-osts and test every link (except, of course, when I don't ;)).

Thanks, too pricey for me for this hike but good to have for another loop I'm considering (carters and wildcats) closer to Gorham

That may be an option. But I've been told I have a mean looking face. So I may need a back up plan after standing in the road a few hours inthe cold.
Maybe Karma will work, I've never pass up a hiker hitching or that looks like he needs a ride :)

As a suggestion, start at Zealand Road and hike to Lincoln Woods. If you decide to wing it, you are close to Lincoln and will almost certainly pick up a ride into town. There's also the benefit of the ranger station with a wood stove right there at the lot. There are also many more vehicles in and out of the LW lot compared to the Zealand lot, so a lot more possibilities for rides. If you have a sign, you may even pick up rides with other hikers doing the same thing you are - if you are going on a weekend, I bet many people may be doing this traverse.

I've gotten a hitch nearly every time I've tried (and picked up many others) in the WMNF. Most of the time it's been solo with beard...but also clearly a hiker/backpacker. On at least three occasions that come immediately to mind, people stopped without me asking or looking and gave me rides. Around the Whites, I have always been lucky solo hitch-hiking. In other areas (mostly along the AT corridor), I found it helps your odds tremendously if you have a female companion.

But since there's no guarantee, and you don't want to get stuck at the end of a long day facing no ride, I understand wanting backup.

Having the sign, as was suggested, is not a bad idea; although I've considered this, I've never actually used one. Maybe say "need ride - my meetup group left me!" :)

Last edited:
At the Skookumchuck Trailhead today, there was a business card thumb tacked to the kiosk:

Notch Taxi Service
603 991-8777
www.notchtaxiservice.com

Last edited:
There's also the benefit of the ranger station with a wood stove right there at the lot.
Perhaps more important is the bathrooms (a full building with running water) have heat and are open 7x24. Makes a nice easy (and safe!) bivy spot if you have to wait until the next morning for a ride.

Doug

Curious -- are you just interested in doing a thru hike? Many people trying to tag the bonds opt for a through hike so they aren't doubling up the number of summits (e.g., doing the bonds in a day from Zealand ends up with Bond and Zealand twice). If you are doing an overnight, then this shouldn't be an issue.

Curious -- are you just interested in doing a thru hike? Many people trying to tag the bonds opt for a through hike so they aren't doubling up the number of summits (e.g., doing the bonds in a day from Zealand ends up with Bond and Zealand twice). If you are doing an overnight, then this shouldn't be an issue.
Thats the way i did it for my non-winter hike Z to Bonds and back overnight at guyot Nov-2012 (already had non-winter Hale & Z at that time). But kind of wanted to see what the bonds looked like coming in from Lincoln woods. Also using AMC WMG on-line i get nearly the same mileage for a thru hike (either way) or in and out from Zealand Road. A thru hike will only give me Zealand road once an in and out from Z will add it twice. Actually with the snow we are getting my last hike of the winter will really depend on what i see for traffic on the trails. My other choice was the carters & wilds but that might be worse. As usual its going to be a last minute decision.