Teddy the Dog is Missing

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My ex-brother-in-law lost his hunting dog once. He put his flannel shirt down at the spot where the dog had been let out. The next day one tired dog was sleeping on the flannel shirt waiting for his ride home.

I've met Teddy and Ron, too, they are both very nice! Ron wrote an entry in the log book at Carter Notch Hut and I copied down his address and mailed him this photo of Teddy. Here's Teddy on the 19 mile brook trail last March.

If anyone hears how this story ends, please share - I sure hope they are reunited soon!

Phew!

Thank goodness Teddy was reunited with his people. :) This is the second post on a lost dog in the past couple months. I sure hope this is the last one for the summer and for a while. Noone likes to be lost. But everyone loves to be found! ;)

Teddy's been found!

Wow,that is such good news!

The pics posted of Teddy, well, he's just too cute for words!
I'm so glad he's been found. I bet his owner is sooo relieved, I'd be beside myself if Terra was lost. (which is highly unlikely since she's such a velcro-doggy)

carole said:
No, different area. But I have heard about the Easton dogs a few times :)

Glad the dog is ok!

There is a peakbagging dog in the Catskills too. It lives near the trail head for Balsam Lake, and it will follow you all the way to the summits. (This was in the winter too!) It's a large sheepdog of some sort. We did Graham (which is near by), and once we got to the top and turned around, it took off down the trail and was not seen again.

We met a fellow who lost his dog in the Santanoni's last summer. I never heard how that turned out...

Yep, I'm who posted that news on the other site. Hadn't been over to these boards (never knew about them) so it was funny to see this story being talked about. I figured some people knew about it. Very glad I could assist in helping Ron out. I felt so damn bad that morning for him!

This was my father-in-law and I's conversation soon after leaving him.

me: ok so if we see this guy coming down the trail with a dog on a rope, what are we going to do exactly?

dad: we'll politely tell him the story of how we know his owner and he is looking for him

me: and if he's stealing the dog, he's just going to listen to us???

dad: he should

me: I think I'll just be taking that damn dog away from him to walk him back down to his owner. There could be a struggle.

dad: :quiet:

and changed subject.

Luckily there was no stealing involved and no struggles. And was very happy it also had a happy ending.

Great news.... I have been following this and was hoping for a happy outcome. I have yet to lose a companion in the woods, and I know how badly I would feel if I had to eventually drive home alone.

There are a number of places where local dogs follow you up, when we called for permission for Crabtree Bald in NC the owner told us her dogs would follow us up & they did.

But the strangest story is from VT, I was hiking with a friend who dislikes dogs and when we met a couple with two loose dogs she complained that they should be leashed. They said that neither dog was theirs! They were staying at an inn nearby and one neighborhood dog followed them on a local hike suggested by the innkeeper. On the hike they met another dog which followed them also, it had a bear tracking radio collar and had apparently had gotten lost the day before and was tired and hungry and decided to hook up with some dog people! We were able to read a phone # on the collar and they were going to call the owner from the inn. Apparently bear dogs run loose and get lost all the time when their collars get out of range.

I so glad this worked out well. Having hiked a few miles with Teddy and Ron I know Teddy is fond of wandering off so I was hoping it was just a matter of him heading the wrong way or being assumed lost by another hiker.

Bob

Tom Rankin said:
Glad the dog is ok!

There is a peakbagging dog in the Catskills too. It lives near the trail head for Balsam Lake, and it will follow you all the way to the summits.
Max and I were followed by a cat coming down from Galehead hut. I think it was a caretaker's pet. At some point on the way down (close to the trailhead, IIRC) the cat had enough, turned around, and went back to the hut.

I'm glad Teddy and his owner were reunited. I always hike with mine on a leash. i just can't stand the thought of losing her.

Another lost dog story

Going through this thread reminded me of what happened to a friend's dog this past winter. Here is what he wrote to me.

"I am careful where I take Nigel, never above tree line because of the ice. I have already had one experience with him. Several weeks ago, I took him with me when I climbed Liberty and Flume in the Franconia range. Although I don't consider Liberty above tree line, the summit is composed of a few large rocks which were all ice. I put Nigel on a leash to help him across the summit and let him off once we headed down the trail toward Flume.

On our return,just below the summit of Liberty, I called Nigel planning to put him back on the leash until we got across the ice. He came, but when he saw the leash, he took off back down the trail toward Flume. I called and called him and even hiked back down the trail looking for him, but never found him. I waited quite a while calling him just below the summit where he took off. Finally, I hiked back out thinking he might have gone around the summit and down the trail on his own.

Every few minutes, on my way our, I called him. When I got back to my truck, he was no where to be found. The next morning, I got up and hiked back to Liberty. Reaching the summit, I called his name and he came running across the summit, apparently overjoyed to see me. I found him not 100 yards from where I last saw him. Apparently, he was waiting for me where he last saw me. He was no worse for his night out on the mountain.

When we hike now, hedoesn't stray far off. He likes to run ahead up the trail then lie in the snow waiting for me to catch up. If I don't catch up to him quickly enough, he will come back looking for me."