Teepee Tent Setup

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBubbles

Reaction score
I have been looking into buying a teepee tent such as the Golite Hex for winter camping. However for these type of tents are not freestanding and I don't understand how you could stake the tent out into snow, especially fluffy powder. I hope someone with experience can explain this so that I may purchase one with confidence.

Using Deadman anchors, either by tieing the guylines to an object (stake, snowshoe, hiking pole) buried in the snow or perhaps a store bought or homemade anchor.

Jay

They come with a centerpole...

MrBubbles said:
I have been looking into buying a teepee tent such as the Golite Hex for winter camping. However for these type of tents are not freestanding and I don't understand how you could stake the tent out into snow, especially fluffy powder. I hope someone with experience can explain this so that I may purchase one with confidence.

or you can use a trekking pole. As for staking them down ... I've seen snow anchors. For lack of a better description they look like a mini parachute.
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__productID=MTH116
They are supposed to work pretty well in snow (don't know about really light fluffy powder though) and/or you can pile a rock or two on them.

MrBubbles said:
I don't understand how you could stake the tent out into snow, especially fluffy powder.

You stomp out a platform using your snowshoes or skis and wait a bit for the snow to set. The platform may or may not be strong enough for you to bareboot, but it will hold tent pegs (if not too windy). If you need stronger anchors, use snowshoes, skis, ice axes, poles, or bury deadmen.

Doug

I have a Kifaru 8-man with the snow platform and the SST pins. Like others have stated, you need to pack out a platform with skis or snowshoes to set the tipi on and then wait a bit for it to "set-up". Once the snow firms up the snow platform goes under the tipi centerpole (and stove :D ) and the SST pins are used in place of normal pegs.

www.kifaru.net