Telemark Ski Gear Suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
audrey said:
With all due respect to Dickie Hall/NATO and his lessons, I got very little out of them as a beginner. They seem geared to more advanced skiers.

This is an excellent point and spot on correct.

In general, I think people get the most out of telemark clinics (regardless of who is running them) if they have already mastered a solid parallel turn with pole plant. Prior to this, there really isn't a massive need for there to be any distinction between alpine and tele instruction, imo. About the only thing I can think that a tele/nordic skier on tele gear to learn that their alpine counter part doesn't care about is a tele straight run for fore/aft stability.

I think beginner skiers might do best in regular ski schools.

Audrey, did the areas you mention teach you beginner lessons with other tele skiers only or did they mix you in with alpine beginners?

Hey Seema,

Village Ski and Sports in Lincoln, NH rent a variety of telemark skis and boots. Best selection around, IMO.

Village Ski & Sport
(603) 745-8852
137 Main St
Lincoln, NH 03251

Mountain Traveller in VT near Killington has used gear and they allow you to demo gear all day for ~$25 and use the $$ to put toward purchases (that may only be for the new gear though).

www.mtntravelers.com

Does Brian have any skiing experience at all--even cross country? The AMC Boston Ski com offers a full-day Intro to telemark class for ~$45 (include lift ticket) at Wachusett in Jan. Best deal around!! :) PM me if you'd like more info.

Lots of good advice here, although I wouldn't go too big on the boots (Scarpa T2s, Garmont Veloche or Synergies, or the Crispi equivalent [not sure the name of the boot]) are plenty big enough for a beginner, IMO. I also wouldn't go too wide with the skis. Here in NE, I think getting a ski with a 70 to 80 mm waist is plenty wide for all around conditions. But that is my opinion, of course!

You see a lot of folks on Atomic TM 22s, K2 Super Stynx, Karhu Kodiaks or Grizzlys. Just a few suggestions, but there are a lot of great skis out there. It's pretty hard to go wrong.

As others have mentioned, Telemark Tips is a great resource--they have a terrific forum similar to VRTT (dave m and I post there often). There are a lot of western skiers on the forum, so you do have to filter some of the advice a bit! For example, they all love wide skis, the wider, the better. But they also get a lot more powdah then we do here on the Ice, er, East Coast!

:)

Have fun!

P.S. Did Dave Metsky really just recommend getting wide skis??? :p

WOW, I never stop being amazed by all the help I can get from VFTT members on any outdoor related topic :)

Thanks again guys.

Brian does have skiing experience, mostly alpine but he has skied x-country and backcountry. He tends to be a natural at most new outdoor ventures so I am sure he will do fine. I will look into classes and workshops. We both have the all-for-one ski pass for this upcoming winter so all the suggestions for rental close to Killington, Sugarloaf, Sunday River, Pico, Mt. Snow and Attitash are greatly appreciated.

Any ideas for websites where people sell used telemark gear so this spring when he is ready to buy we can look into used gear? Thanks a WHOLE bunch.

sli74

I tele ski on Tua Mito's, which are 98/70/88. When I was in Tahoe last April and took my skis, they were awfully skinny compared to what people were tele skiing on out there. Admittedly the snow is drastically different there, but it got me thinking a little more about getting wider skis.

And regarding rentals, I can't speak for NH/VT resorts but most resorts in NY rent tele gear these days -- so I would expect you could rent and also get lessons at most resorts in NH/VT as well.

Bob

For what it's worth: Mad River Glen offers package rentals and lessons. So does Bolton Valley, there xc area has excellent backcountry sections (BV). You can even take a lift to access their XC/Backcoutry trail network. One other iteam for the first time on tele ski, have some advil ready at days end.

sli74 said:
Brian does have skiing experience, mostly alpine but he has skied x-country and backcountry. He tends to be a natural at most new outdoor ventures so I am sure he will do fine. I will look into classes and workshops. We both have the all-for-one ski pass for this upcoming winter so all the suggestions for rental close to Killington, Sugarloaf, Sunday River, Pico, Mt. Snow and Attitash are greatly appreciated.

Any ideas for websites where people sell used telemark gear so this spring when he is ready to buy we can look into used gear? Thanks a WHOLE bunch.

sli74

Seema, with that experience, the AMC Ski Com Novice tele class may be a good option for him. (Yes, I am the chair, so I should reveal my bias! :) )

There is an amazing instructor at Sunday River--I think his name is Dick Ary (sp?). Definitely look him up!

OH! How could I have forgotten! Definitely check out New England Telemark. They run GREAT, FREE tele clinics and demos at several festivals all over New England. www.netelemark.com

As for used gear, telemark tips has a teleturn around page where people sell used gear. You can definitely find deals there.

dave.m said:
I think beginner skiers might do best in regular ski schools.

Audrey, did the areas you mention teach you beginner lessons with other tele skiers only or did they mix you in with alpine beginners?

Dave, We were at first lucky enough to be in groups no bigger than two to four, strictly tele. Later, in intermediate classes, tele instructors demonstrated some alpine techniques but didn't teach them. Now, as the knees age, we're going to take parallel lessons.

I'm amused when I see good alpine skiers trying to learn tele: it's such a leap of faith to bend that knee and lift that heel, but when they get it, they get it fast, already having the skills of balance, weight shift, etc. I think, though, that it doesn't make much difference which comes first. It's motivation that's the key.

However, without many days of lift-served practice, I don't know how most people could get much good at it. Like Dave Metsky said, you just don't get that many turns in the backcountry.

Bottom line, never forget any skill you've learned, including snowplow. Never resist learning new tricks!

Tele Skis...

Are really just re-badged intermediate all mountain skis. My friend is the Atomic "Alpine" rep out in Seattle and a long time tele skier. He always recommends buying a last years pair of intermidiate skis at a ski and skate sale ($35.00 - $100.00) and having a shop remove the bindings fill the holes and mount a set of tele bindings. The "tele" skis are really not tele specific until you get to the absolute top of the line stuff and everything else is a re-badged alpine ski so don't buy the hype. The last I knew K2 and Atomic were the only companies actually building a tele-specific ski the rest either buy blanks or use alpine stuff with different graphics. Go with a last years shape ski that is relatively soft length wise but fairly stiff torsionally meaning tip twist/deflection and you'll be fine. Both Scarpa & Garmont make great boots but that is totally dependendant on your kids feet. I would not worry youself sick about bindings that release especially with the new shorter skis. I have never used a release tele binding. If you wipe bad enough the springs will strech enough to let you out but usually they just flail aroung when you buy real estate. Good luck and don't buy the ski hype until your kids are truly expert and even then I'd still opt for a high quality alpine ski any day.

kaibar said:
Are really just re-badged intermediate all mountain skis. My friend is the Atomic "Alpine" rep out in Seattle and a long time tele skier. He always recommends buying a last years pair of intermidiate skis at a ski and skate sale ($35.00 - $100.00) and having a shop remove the bindings fill the holes and mount a set of tele bindings. The "tele" skis are really not tele specific until you get to the absolute top of the line stuff and everything else is a re-badged alpine ski so don't buy the hype. The last I knew K2 and Atomic were the only companies actually building a tele-specific ski the rest either buy blanks or use alpine stuff with different graphics. Go with a last years shape ski that is relatively soft length wise but fairly stiff torsionally meaning tip twist/deflection and you'll be fine.
Used alpine skis with a relatively soft tail is a common way to get an inexpensive set of tele skis. Alpine skis tend to go out of fashion quickly--check yard sales.

Both Scarpa & Garmont make great boots but that is totally dependendant on your kids feet.
Boots are expensive, but good boots make a large difference. Shop end-of-season sales or buy last year's model to keep the cost down.

I would not worry youself sick about bindings that release especially with the new shorter skis. I have never used a release tele binding. If you wipe bad enough the springs will strech enough to let you out but usually they just flail aroung when you buy real estate.
According to the Telemark skiing injury website (http://faculty.washington.edu/mtuggy/telepag1.htm), only 11% of tele skiers use releasable bindings. The study indicates that the releasable bindings might be slightly safer than non-releasable, but the result is not statistically significant given the available data. The study also indicates that plastic boots are safer than leather.

Most common injury is to the knee, second most to the thumb. (Falls onto ski poles bend the thumb back...)

I've bought skis at good prices out-of-season by using a search engine. If you know what model you want, just search on it and buy from the cheapest source. July is a great time to buy skis...

IME's consignment shop is also a good place to look for used ski gear.

Doug

Last edited: