Thanksgiving Weekend in High Peaks...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sara

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has ever spent Thanksgiving weekend in the high peaks and if it is really crowded? We plan to head into Flowed Lands and grab a lean-to Friday afternoon and camp for the weekend hopefully getting at least two peaks. Is anybody else headed out to work off the turkey this weekend? Thanks for any info!

Thanksgiving weekend

Treating myself and the GF to a weekend in Placid. 2 nites at Art Devlins - love their views of the HP and they are doggie friendly. We hope and plan on hiking in to Marcy Dam for lunch. Should be a nice intro to the High Peaks for her.

So we will be in there. I am guessing it will be a bit crowded. Weather looks good.

Have a great holiday all.

Rob

i was looking at the extended weather and it might be snowy for the weekend..
hope so :D

re: staying near the daks

reply to: "2 nites at Art Devlins - love their views of the HP and they are doggie friendly"

another place that is animal friendly is cobble mountain. he had both cabins & rooms. the cabins have been redone and are really nice for the price. the rooms are basic but i believe he'll be redoing them also. i was pleasantly surprised when i saw our cabin. really clean modern bathroom makes me happy! :) the cabins run around 60-70 per night. not bad; many have a frig, coffe pot, cook stove or something to cook on, microwave etc.some have twin beds, or king or some even have xtra bunks to share. and it's right across from a golf course so there's nice views also. & quiet. art devlins can be hard to get into as he caters to those wanting to be right down town, and things going on at the olympic center. both are nice places tho.

We'll be on some lesser peaks in the high peaks area from Thanksgiving Day through the weekend. Weather reports indicate snow showers all weekend with day time highs averaging about 35. We're leaving the snow shoes home :( bringing gaiters and instep crampons just in case.

we(sara and I) plan on getting up to UW trailhead in the early afternoon...hike into the first lean-to and setup shop for the night....we then plan on going for skylight and gray.. after seeing the trail condidtions from this past weekend we plan to bring full winter gear and crampons.. i'm hoping for snow to fall the entier weekend and also freezing conditions to take care of the mud...

i'll probable be a long hall on saturday but we hope to be back to camp by nightfall...

if anyone is out there give a shoutout... maybe we'll see somebody outthere..

happy hiking everyone..

I was considering doing Skylight and Gray too. Maybe even Cliff and Redfield if we get adventorous or vice versa.

Not sure which trailhead we'll go with. Is the road to South Meadow parking lot plowed in the winter time? I was also thinking about the Upper Works lot. Plan is to leave Ottawa at noon.

This is EXACTLY why I love the fact you don't have to register in advance for a backcountry permit. I never know where I'll be until I get there! :D

-Shayne

Heading for Adams (hopefully)

We'll be up there on Friday if everything goes as planned. Our sights are on Adams so we'll be starting off from the Allen trailhead.

And Spaddock, what is going on with your dog in the avatar? It's looking like some sort of peculiar animal torture! :)

Katie

Hehehe... that was a picture of my pooch in the backseat of our car on the way to Cape Breton. He would stick his head out the window to get some wind and when he wanted a break he nosed his head between the seat.

It was pretty funny to see. No torture there, that's for sure. :)

-Shayne

spaddock said:
I was considering doing Skylight and Gray too. Maybe even Cliff and Redfield if we get adventorous or vice versa.

Not sure which trailhead we'll go with. Is the road to South Meadow parking lot plowed in the winter time? I was also thinking about the Upper Works lot. Plan is to leave Ottawa at noon.

This is EXACTLY why I love the fact you don't have to register in advance for a backcountry permit. I never know where I'll be until I get there! :D

-Shayne

i agree about not having to have a permit.. sara and i are always changing plans, even as we are driving to the trial head...

if you head into flowed lands, we'll see you there. like i said before we hope to get to the trailhead around 2:00pm

ADackR said:
ilike i said before we hope to get to the trailhead around 2:00pm

On Thursday or Friday? We're heading down Friday. No turkey day for us in Canada.

Forecast now looks like the ever popular 2004 cloudy and rainy classic.

-Shayne

Thanksgiving weekend...

is a popular weekend in the high peaks, so don't count on a leanto to be available. The weather can be very changable, and there is sure to be more of it the higher up you go.

With that said- I wish I was there- but poor me- :( - I must work to make money to finance trips of the future.

Happy Turkey, or your soy based product of choice. ;)

h

spaddock said:
On Thursday or Friday? We're heading down Friday. No turkey day for us in Canada.

Forecast now looks like the ever popular 2004 cloudy and rainy classic.

-Shayne

friday..........................................................................

i'll be using a 0 down and sara will have the -5 down..

oh yeah and some clothes.

I'm with ADKatie.....

we'll be on Adams on Friday and so far, weather's looking good for that day. Looks like RAIN and SLEET til then and then overnight thu/fri lows to 16 (in Placid, so figure 10 or lower in the woods), so ICE will be the name of the game this Weekend.

If all goes as planned, we'll be eating turkey sandwiches in the ADAM's firetower by noon on Friday. Happy Thanksgiving ya'll.

Our Thanksgiving weekend hike was a success. I used a -5 degree bag, not really necessary, but I like to be toasty warm! AdacKR used my 0 degree bag. We were lucky enough to have the choice of 3 empty lean-to's at Flowed Lands late Friday afternoon (@4:30). We ended up climbing Marshall, a new peak for me. Very icey last 1/2 mile, but a fun challenge. ALthough we had crampons we chose not to use them and had even more fun sliding down the ice on the return. Happy Hiking to all!!