The adventures of a one-armed hiker

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
On Sunday (6/5) I fell and broke my wrist. Splinted that afternoon, saw orthopedist on Monday, was operated on Tuesday. Good friends took me to their home for the night; a glass of wine (yes, I know, no alcohol while taking Percaset, but who cares) with good friends is the best post-op pain killer :)

Next day I walked a couple of miles in Sandwich until I got a ride to Braintree, then T to Brookline. Did some errands on foot, then a six mile loop along the Charles (BU Bridge to Museum of Science).

Had lots of things unrelated to health to do on Thursday, almost no walking.

Early this morning (Friday, 6/10) I drove to the Blue Hills. I did a mixture of wide carriage roads plus a few real trails that I know have good footing ... balance is an issue with one arm tied to your side :( Hiked a couple of hours, will do many miles of road walking this afternoon (errands in Brookline, unlike Thornton, can be done on foot).

Tomorrow back to Thornton, will start with Hubbard Brook roads, then see how I fare on good trails.

Sounds like you're not letting the arm keep you down - that's great! You'll heal quickly and be back to full activity in no time :)

Saturday 6/11: Hubbard Brook

As planned I left Brookline early, was in Thornton around 8 AM. Minimal, but constant, drizzle. Put shell on to keep splint dry and drove to Mirror Lake Road, from which Hubbard Brook Road branches off. I walked my standard uphill walk, a Y-shaped trip that gains 1,100 feet over a six mile round trip (map).

The drizzle never stopped, but most of the time it was so light that the leaves kept it all. At times it was a bit heavier, but never enough to bother my bare legs. Was not really tired at the end, but I must admit that I had zero desire to do a second lap. I suppose that the trauma plus anesthesia plus surgery took something out of my fitness :(

Stay tuned for the next installment!

... I suppose that the trauma plus anesthesia plus surgery took something out of my fitness :(
Clearly the trauma took more out of my fitness than I realized at the time. Today, three weeks after my fall, I was able for the first time to go all the way from the Livermore parking lot to the tower on Mt. Tecumseh by the service road ... a mere 2,300 feet and a bit less than three miles each way.

I am leaving for Switzerland in a little over two weeks, and will definitely be much less fit than I had hoped before my accident. So it will be smaller hikes ... the views will be just as spectacular and I expect to enjoy the trip as much as if I had been fitter.

lifeisgood_logo.gif

Resilient and good natured. That's what I call you. Have a wonderful trip with great adventures. We have a saying in our family: I'm in good shape for the shape I'm in.

You set the bar high. We'll try to follow.

Thanks to Dave Metsky for his brilliant suggestion that I hike Moosilauke by the Carriage Road: 5.1 miles with 3,100 feet of elevation gain. Here is the one-handed* hiker on the summit:

P1030783.JPG

*maybe now closer to 1¾ handed :D

Well done! Glad I could lend a hand.

Ooh, perhaps the Lend-a-Hand trail would have been the perfect choice?! :)

Maybe not the time to hit the Franconia Ridge, too much agony??? Up in the north country, Mahoosuc Arm also maybe not yet...but of course, you are not over the hill, so maybe Underhill?? Before you know it, you'll be "surprised" and back in "tip top" shape, able to easily get up the "stairs" and find "success" again...

Last edited:
LOL, Mohamed! She didn't do it, I swear! :D I preach Leave No Trace. :)

Congrats once again on your hike. Looked like a beautiful day to be up there. Glad you're healing and back out on the trails.

Hi Trish ... I was pretty sure it wasn't her, the time I saw her there (the day Alex completed her 48) she was certainly incapable of chiseling her name. Still, I did a double take when I saw that name staring at me :)

Clearly the trauma took more out of my fitness than I realized at the time. Today, three weeks after my fall, I was able for the first time to go all the way from the Livermore parking lot to the tower on Mt. Tecumseh by the service road ... a mere 2,300 feet and a bit less than three miles each way.

I am leaving for Switzerland in a little over two weeks, and will definitely be much less fit than I had hoped before my accident. So it will be smaller hikes ... the views will be just as spectacular and I expect to enjoy the trip as much as if I had been fitter.

lifeisgood_logo.gif

Were in Switzerland Mohammed?

First "real" hike: Moosilauke by Glencliff

After many walks up the service road on Tecumseh and the Carriage Road on Moosilauke I decided to use a "real trail". The decision was made while driving, Plan A had been one more Carriage Road, but something inside me said "enough!!!" ... it was getting to be as much fun as going to the gym :(

I hike with one pole, and really did not want to put any stress on the injured wrist (I may be told to go ahead and use both arms tomorrow). The footing on the lower two thirds of Glencliff is fine, it was a bit rougher on the final third. Also Glencliff is substantially steeper than the Carriage Road.

The way down was tough ... I was tired and for the upper third I was careful with every foot placement. But I got to the top and, more to the point, back to my car :)

Tomorrow I go to Boston for physical therapy and doctor, return to Thornton for the weekend, then on Monday back to Boston and away to Switzerland. Watch my blog return to life as I hike in Switzerland :) :D :) :D