The Final Four: Bonds and Zealand, and two finishers named Tim

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
The Final Four: Bondcliff, Bond, West Bond and Zealand

The odds makers were heavily favoring a Bondcliff versus Zealand final, given that Bond and West Bond were such a long shot. In the end, TimC and his lovely wife Val (ADKnBVI), Jeremy (Rocket21), Skip (Loanshark) and I completed a classic Bonds/Zealand traverse (south-to-north) for my winter 48 completion, as well as TimC's winter 48 completion (single-season no less!) in 13 hours 30 minutes for an offical distance of 23 miles with 4550 feet. Here's the TR.

March 11, 2010

We chose to go south-to-north for a couple of reasons, among them: trail breaking, if any, would be easier in the downhill direction; Zealand Falls Hut is both convenient and safer at mile 15 more so than at mile 7; some amongst us hate the Lincoln Woods / Wilderness Trail at the end of a trip. Meeting at the route 302 Zealand winter lot at 6:30am to spot cars, we got to Lincoln Woods and were ready to go by 7:20. TimC was not there yet, but Val assured us he would catch up without problem. The Lincoln Woods/Wilderness trail was extremely well packed and somewhat icy, but we bare booted to the Bondcliff Trail junction in about 90 minutes. On with the snowshoes, we left a message for TimC, even though Val assured us he wouldn't see it, and struck off along the Bondcliff Trail. This too was nicely tracked although it had numerous blowdowns, bendovers, and leaners. We cut a few of the really, really obnoxious ones, but it will take more than 3 people with pruning saws to make any kind of dent. We ran into Peter Crane on his way down from an overnighter to West Bond and we got the latest beta on the trail conditions. More of the same blowdown mess below treeline all the way there. At least it was broken out and there was a route to follow.

Franconia Brook Bridge, Ascending the drainage parallel to the Bondcliff Trail

As described by Peter, the Bondcliff Trail detoured onto the brook bed for a time which avoided some switchbacks and probably a lot of nasty spruce. The brook bed was really easy going - a nice 10-foot wide path which turned left onto the trail at the fourth (and final) crossing. TimC had caught up to us by now and I learned that he'd done the Presidential Traverse with Tim Seaver and Cath the day before. Ouch. We ate and drank and let TimC catch his breath before ascending the ramp along the backside ridge of Bondcliff. There are a lot of in-your-face spruce branches, but mostly of the soft variety. For the first calmity of the day, I had broken a pole, which through me off balance, but also let me "swim" through the firs with my left hand. The sun was up higher now and the temps were well above freezing and the snow was getting sticky. At just about the four hour mark, the summit ridge appeared and we walked right up the snowfield which has buried any trace of the usual ledge climb.

Bondcliff - 45/48

Approaching the summit of Bondcliff, Winter #45: Bondcliff and in short sleeves!

Even above the trees, there was virtually no wind and the temps were in the low 30s. Once on the true summit there was no snow and we took off our snowshoes. As I made my way out to the cliff for the traditionally photo, it occured to me that my winter cliff shot would be in short sleeves while in both previous photos I had on a jacket or fleece. From the summit we could see that "the weather" was to the south, as predicted, and it was throwing some clouds our way. The sun came and went but primarily we enjoyed blue skies and warm sunshine. After we'd all had our pictures taken and a quick snack, the snowshoes went on our packs for the descent.

Bond - 46/48

Looking up towards Bond, and back down towards Bondcliff

On the way up to Bond, there was enough snow to warrant snowshoes again. The slope before us was covered in a huge snowfield, and the track switchbacked through the snowfield, forsaking the trail alltogether. We walked alongside a father and son duo for a bit. The son was doing Sherpa duty and carrying their joint belongings which I observed did not include snowshoes (but did include crampons. Later on West Bond they admitted they were returning to winter hiking and requested information on what kind of snowshoes they should run out and purchase.) Being on top of the trees for most of the ascent meant we enjoyed views for most of the ascent. In turn this slowed me down since I tend to look around me instead of where I want to go. Presently the grade leveled out and we stepped through the last of the trees and onto the summit of Bond. In the non-winter season, the northern views are partially obstructed by the trees. On this day we had pretty much unobstructed 360-degree views, even while sitting down and having lunch.

Whitewall then Willey Range then Presidentials, Winter #46: Bond, with the Presidentials

West Bond - 47/48

West Bond(L) and Franconia Ridge, Skip approaching the West Bond summit

While we ate lunch and soaked up the views, TimC regaled us with his Presidential Traverse details in the company of uber hikers Cath & Tim (Seaver, now we have three Tims.) It was very hard to leave but the clock was ticking and while we were on schedule, we knew we weren't even half way through (on time anyway). The track to West Bond is more difficult to follow as the snow becomes really deep and extra sticky. Enroute we met a hiker who had come from Zealand and so we knew there was a track to follow. This encouraged us and we moved right along. Between Peter Crane's track and Jeremy's memory we found the West Bond Spur sign about 6 inches above the snow level.

Winter #47: West Bond, Jefferson in the background, Bond from West Bond

The real fun began here. There was a track, and even scattered blazes. Almost every step involved moving multiple branches out of the way. Again, having one pole became an advantage because there was one less pole to get tangled and one hand free to make a path. After a 20-minute struggle we popped out on the summit. The views to the south showed dark clouds, while the views north were still mainly clear with thin clouds. No time to eat here - just a few photos and back down to the col. I checked my thermometer at this point and it said nearly 50 degrees -- in the shade.

(continued)

Last edited:
Guyot - Because It Is There

The one snowshoe track continuing towards the Guyot Shelter turned left down the Bondcliff Trail. Descending to the shelter spur was pretty easy with gravity to assist, even with the heavy corn snow. As we crossed the small bump between West Bond and Guyot, we noticed an inviting snowfield between the two summits of Guyot which we cut across, saving the descent that the trail proper requires. The snow was firm and despite obviously crossing a spruce trap minefield, nobody went through. Views were once again in abundance. Even Zealand looks like it might have some views today - there appeared to be a lot of snow there too, as you would expect.

Tim and Val ascending Guyot, Zealand from Guyot - notice how white it is near the summit

Zealand - 48/48

Descending from Guyot we cut across the snowfields again and picked up the Twinway as the trees got taller. Like the Bondcliff Trail to West Bond, we were much higher up than ordinary and there were many spots along the way which offered continuing views. Of particular help was the fact we could see the summit of Zealand for most of the trip. There was no need to find the spur trail proper, and I don't think we really ever saw it. Instead we went across the snowfield just below the line of trees leading to the summit. As things leveled out we started banging around in the woods looking for the summit sign (we'd heard earlier it was visible) and we found it pretty quickly. It was sitting right on the snow and I suspect it had been buried by the big storm and only recently exposed as the snow compacted in the warmer temperatures. I had brought along a celebratory beverage in the form of a 22oz Long Trail Winter White (Belgian style witbier) which we split. It was delicious and being thirsty as we were it was hard not to drink in one gulp. Tim and Tim congratulated each other and everyone else followed suit.

Views from Zealand to the Twins, Winter #48: Zealand (See the inset for the normal summit sign height)

It was after 4pm now and we needed to be below the trees and on a good track for the hut by dark. We knew that Zeacliff down was broken out and we followed the snowshoe track for a while. Some 30 minutes from Zealand, TimC noticed his GPS was missing. This became calamity #2 for the day. He asked for 15 minutes to go get it and we agreed we'd continue slowly and not go past the Zeacliff Pond Jct. After he turned to go back, we realized there were two dead end paths from the snowshoe track. After a bit of searching we found the right track, and because of the confusion, Skip, Val and I continued and Jeremy went back to help TimC. They did find the GPS and caught up to us at viewpoint overlooking Zeacliff Pond.

Zeacliff Pond, View to Carrigain Notch

Knowning the track went to the hut was comforting but the route wandered all over the ridge and eventually Jeremy got tired of the meandering and when we crossed the trail we started our own bushwhack, keeping much closer to the trail. As expected at the Zeacliff area (no sign of the sign), there was suddenly a nice snowshoe track. Also at this point the trees became less spruce and more birch and the going was much faster. Here calamity #3 occured as TimC broken an MSR snowshoe, probably from running back to find his GPS. Just when it was almost impossible to see without headlamps, we crossed Whiteface Brook and landed on the Zealand Falls Hut Porch. We had our final snack, filled our water bottles and put on headlamps. Calamity #4 resulted from leaving too quickly as TimC (hmm, I am sensing a pattern here) left his good snowshoe under the bench at the hut. Not knowing whose it was, we opted to leave it there. Since he'd taken off with Val ahead of the group, we didn't all catch up until Zealand Road at which point he decided to go back the next day to retrieve it. We'd made excellent time to the road, in about 45 minutes. We packed our snowshoes and because of the ice opted for Microspikes which worked well down to the paved section where we barebooted back to the winter lot.

Sunset behind the Twins, Final view of Washington before dark

All Photos

Thanks Jeremy, Tim, Val and Skip for a great and epic hike and a finish I will remember forever.

Thanks to Jennifer, Amanda and Matthew for allowing me to pursue this goal to its completion.

Tim

Last edited:
Congratulations to both Tim's!! Excellent that you were able to squeeze them in before the end of the winter season. None of that "wait'll next year" stuff.

Congratulations to you Tim and to the entire team. That was a truly awesome trek, and quite an accomplishment!!

Tim, great report and photos as usual.

Bonus points for the Zealand summit picture-in-picture. That's pretty cool. I think some people are gonna read this and say, "huh"?
And then they'll go back and look again, because they missed it the first time (as I did).

Great TR and photos. Congrats to all!

I only have the Bonds left myself... not looking good for this winter.

Tim, great report and photos as usual.

Bonus points for the Zealand summit picture-in-picture. That's pretty cool. I think some people are gonna read this and say, "huh"?
And then they'll go back and look again, because they missed it the first time (as I did).

I added a parenthetical note to the caption, which may or may not help ;) From the picture-in-a-picture department, there is also this one, which did not make the original cut:

Oh yeah, I am 6'3"...

Tim

Bonds traverse

Nice report Tim, and congrats again to you and Tim C. for your W-48 completion. It was a very enjoyable and FULL day. One of the things I most enjoy about an epic hike such as this is the comradaire and teamwork. It took alot of both to deal with the many obstacles we had to deal with. Thanks to Jeremy for his knowledge of the trail locations and for organizing the hike. I've included a few more pictures of the day.
http://community.webshots.com/album/577007467OHxWZO?vhost=community&start=0

Congratulations!

From Bob (The dad) and Bobby (The Sherpa) ;-)

A great day to be on the Bonds. Nice meeting you folks.

As a fellow Tim, I salute all Tims on your completions!

Here is one of the Tims in question, TimC, sporting a Presidential Size Grin the day before:

Presidential%20Grins.jpg

Way to go Tims! :D

Nice pics, nice writing, nice everything!

I couldn't help notice your smile getting larger and larger as the day went on! :D

...I wish I could have been there! Except Bondcliff, just looking at a picture with someone near the edge, gives me the willies :eek:
[Hijack] Hey Paradox, do NOT look at these pix. No, really, just go away, don't look... 1 2 3 4 [/Hijack]

Tim, speaking of your winter 4K's.....I'm not sure if you keep a log of your hikes, but if you do, check the Kinsmans. I believe you hiked N. and S. Kinsman on Feb 08, 2008. No, we've never hiked together, but (you probably don't remember this) we spoke briefly "on" Lonesome Lake. I was temporarily set up on the lake with my tripod when your group of three or four came through. Here's what that day looked like, with Franconia Ridge being eaten up by the clouds.
Congrats again, good stuff.

Tim, speaking of your winter 4K's.....I'm not sure if you keep a log of your hikes, but if you do, check the Kinsmans. I believe you hiked N. and S. Kinsman on Feb 08, 2008. No, we've never hiked together, but (you probably don't remember this) we spoke briefly "on" Lonesome Lake. I was temporarily set up on the lake with my tripod when your group of three or four came through.

Why yes I did and I remember that quite well. I have re-told that story several times, perhaps even yesterday. I was coming down from the hut past you and your tripod and you said to me "Hey, aren't you Tim from Views From The Top?" :D

Tim

Between Peter Crane's track and Jeremy's memory...

Man, the stuff that Jeremy keeps in his noggin'...

(Always good to have that sort of resource available right there on the trek.)

Congratulations, all, and in particular you Tim No. 1, and you, Tim No. 2 (feel free to interchange), for the Winter 48 completions.

Congrats to all - great job on a great day! Enjoyed the pics and TR.