The lure of winter hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lure of winter hiking

I am going to weigh in here by saying that it is a combination of wanting to be in the woods and on the mountains 12 months a year, the enjoyment of the extra challenge that the winter brings, the absolute beauty of the winter, and why not admit it, it means having more stuff and neater gear!

We were on Falling Waters Trail on Friday (3/20) just before those two were lost and stranded on Monday. It was chilling (no pun meant) to read of this so soon after our hike--and it stressed the importance care and wisdom and over-preparation. We had decided to turn around and go down rather than push on in poor visibility and what seemed like poor footing and quickly approaching nightfall.

One of the things I like about winter hiking is that it turns a generally tame climb into a whole new and different kind of adventure--without traveling to the far corners of the world (although getting up and leaving my house @ 0400 makes the trialheads in the Whites seem like another country.