The Moats 8/27

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Sister

Reaction score
Well MEB and I finally did the Moat traverse which is something that I have wanted to do for quite some time. We started at the north end trailhead a little before 9am. The parking lot was nearly empty at this time and we enjoyed a leisurely and peaceful walk into Diana's baths. The Moat trail is well marked and fairly flat for the first few miles. It then turns sharply left and begins a rather steep ascent of North Moat. I was excited to reach the ledges where we began to get some great views of the White Mountains. And then the views from the summit of North Moat made it well worth the hike!! I was amazed at how much we could see.

We continued on the ridge to middle and south peaks, negotiating some interesting rock faces and also enjoying how the trail alternated between ledge and woods. There were thousands of blueberries between middle and south peaks, which we stopped frequently to munch on. There was plenty of evidence of other creatures, who had also been feasting on their fair share of berries. Descending off of South Moat was very steep, but eventually leveled out where the trail has been relocated.

All in all, an excellent day to be on open summits. Plenty of sunshine and a nice breeze too. MEB took all the pictures and will post them shortly.

Nice trip report Little Sista!

I had done this hike years ago with the husband as a backpack and I must have blocked out the fact that there were a lot of steep sections on this hike! Going up North Moat just about did me in.....but maybe that had something to due with the humid temps and the fact that this was my third day in a row of hiking! Rachel plowed on like there was no tomorrow!!

The blueberries were plentiful on top of South Moat along with all the bear sign.....glad we did not run into one!

I'm glad we finally planned a day to do this traverse as we've been talking about it for months!!

Here are some pictures from our trip.
http://community.webshots.com/user/mbaross

-MEB

nice hike

i have climbed s moat.very nice.did i leave my tomato culander in your car?? se you for car spot sat at noon..is lyons the meeting place..andy