The Old Leather Man

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew up in Berlin,CT and occasionally heard stories about the Leather Man.He would "knock tin" or repair things in exchange for a meal and to spend a night in somebody's barn.My parents had pictures of him around Berlin that had been handed down over the years.

http://www.ghostvillage.com/legends/leatherman.shtml

Last edited:
Saw this at Barnes & Nobel recently.
I first read about him from the lost Yankee Magazine book, "Mysterous New England."

Very interesting.

I grew up in Middletown and heard stories about him from people in Middletown and relatives in Wallingford about his yearly walkabout. Was always interested in his story and I know my mother will want to read the book after I'm done with it.

Thanks for letting me know about this book.

Keith

The Connecticut Leatherman

I also can remember hearing about the Connecticut Leather Man, but couldn't quite place as to where until I saw BlackBuffalo's post. It was an article in Yankee Magazine a few years ago. Now if I could only find that particular Yankee Magazine issue. He was a very peculiar, but interesting man. You can also obtain the book online through Yankee Magazine.
Little D:)

It is a great book. It is full of photos, maps. It indicates where many of the cave are where he slept. It has clips from newspapers etc. It is a great addition to a New England Lore library.

And I thought I had a real lost book...Amazon I guess can get it. They can get anything!!
Well, I'll say I've had this book since age 12, given to my by my great aunt in the 1980's. I will never part with it.

Some of the stories in the book could involve a hike to the sites. Those interest me a lot.

Dave

Fascinating story. I thought it funny that the new book is "cloth" bound. Would have thought leather more appropriate, but I guess 'way too expensive.

He looks a little like Pete Hickey. Isn't Pete from around here ?

TOWNS1-articleInline.jpg

This guy was everywhere

He kept a hermitage in what is now Ward Pound Ridge Reservation in northeastern westchester county, NY

It's on the trail map as Leathermans Cave

His cave was a popular hang out when I was I high school.

I love the stories of characters of old and can just imagine that there are so many that have passed without documentation, or not enough to answer our questions today. From his photo, it seems he was not afraid to pose in full regalia and look straight into the camera.

Every community, I'm sure, has distant memories that are almost lost because at the time everyone knew all they needed to. My grandmother, who we called Nay (kidspeak for Nellie), was from Gay's River, Nova Scotia. She would tell story after story about her days growing up and the people who were part of them. After a while, as the stories would be repeated, we'd not pay much attention. But now...darn, what were the details?

One of her favorites was called, "Mrs. Killen, I lost me [my] watch..."

The short version is that a hermit neighbor from the backcountry mentioned to my great-grandmother as he saw her that he had lost his watch. Some months later he came by again and announced that he had found it! My great grandmothe was happy for him and he explained: "Well, I moved me [my] woodpile and there it was. And why not, it's where I had left it!"

That must have been disappointing, especially with the controversy associated with people who did not want the original grave disturbed. Leatherman was silent again!

Interesting- I'd seen this book in stores before but hadn't thought about giving it a try. I'll have to see if I can find it used. :)