The Perch to Washington to Where?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rev-t

Reaction score
Hi,

I will be in the Whites June for 9 days. I am planning a lot of peaks. I am wondering, one night I plan to stay at the Perch. From there I want to head across to Washington. (Did that route solo in Winter '02 but headed back to the Perch) Just looking and wondering from Washington on how is the walk on the Crawford Path over Franklin, Eisenhower, and Peirce and on to Nauman tent sites. Looks like a total of 12 or 13 miles? Wondering if I am being to ambitious for one day, with pack? (35#)

Peace

Rev-T

Very doable. The hardest part of the day is the climb from the Perch to Jefferson. The hike from Washington to Nauman is just a joy in good weather, but very exposed in bad (I'm sure you figured that). If time/fatigue sets in, it is easy to skip many of the peaks making it nearly all downhill from Big George. Remember: $$ for lunch on Washington summit is a lot lighter than food (so you save one meal). Same goes for water, which can be had at Washington and Lakes, so on this trip you can tend to travel a bit lighter than on others of similar distance.

Sherpa's right (isn't it great to type that?!) about the trip from the Perch to Nauman. It is a long day, but much of it is physically and emotionally downhill.

Another option is to drop down the Dry River trail or Davis Path. Both have designated Wilderness Area campsites on the trail, and plenty of tenting options along the way. Where do you want to end up?

-dave-

Another option is to head down into Tuckerman Ravine and spend a night at Hermit Lake, then head to Naumann the next day.

Yet another option to this P to N trip, if the weather goes "South" ahead of you, you can bypass the summit loops.

A friend and I did the Nauman-to-the-Perch stretch last June as part of our trip.

Your experience will be different with the direction change, but for me, over 40 and carrying 50 pounds, it was a tough day by the time 5:00 rolled around, and we didn't even make the Perch until 6. We also omitted Monroe, and Washington summit (which I won't do anymore if I can help it) and gave up on Jefferson in deference to getting a platform in time. I regret missing Jefferson still today, and may make it the centerpiece of this year's trip. Unless I do the Sandwich thing.

But... I digress.

If you're not in top shape, my assessment is it's a tough one by the late afternoon, although worth it if one can preserve health & safety.

Good luck!

Thanks

Thanks All,

Good ideas.

I need to end up back at Pinkams. My plan so far leaves three days to wander after Washington... So i plan to take advantage and have fun.

Thanks agian for the ideas.

Peace

Rev-T

DougPaul said:
Just a reminder: the bridge on the Dry River trail is out. Makes it a bit hard to follow the trail down to the road...

Doug

So, what is that crossing like now - impossible, near drowning, or just get wet?

Peace

Rev. T

rev-t said:
So, what is that crossing like now - impossible, near drowning, or just get wet?
Haven't been there since the bridge was damaged, but it is a good sized river. There is a crossing upstream where the Mt Eisenhower Tr comes down--people have died here in high water.

Don't know how low it gets, but I certainly wouldn't try it if there were any recent rain in the valley.

Doug

Thanks for the help

Doug,

Thanks! That give me good reason to reroute on my return trip. I hope to be heading back after a breif jaunt in the Pemi, I'd rather not end my trip as a floater!

Peace

Rev. T

rev-t said:
That give me good reason to reroute on my return trip. I hope to be heading back after a breif jaunt in the Pemi, I'd rather not end my trip as a floater!
Oops--the spot where the fatality[ies?] occurred might have been the junction with the Mt Clinton Tr. You could certainly enter and exit via the S Prezzie ridge, but the designated campsites are all along the DRT on the other side of the river.

The Dry River valley is a wild and seldom-hiked area. Worth a visit. Just the easy route in and out is blocked. When I was there several winters ago (the bridge was intact), we didn't see any other footprints.

There have been several trip reports of people venturing into the DR valley since the bridge was damaged-- http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&...itesearch=www.vftt.org&as_rights=&safe=images brings up a bunch.

WMNF bridge status info: http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/conditions/bridge_status.html

Doug