The Perfect Final Winter Hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed'n Lauky

Reaction score
Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of S
Since we didn't have any peaks left that we had to bag this winter, we were looking for that "perfect" outing.

The requirements were straightforward. We wanted a trail that was well packed out, one that would be easy to follow from bottom to top, and one that could be barebooted without postholing even when the sun warmed it up.
053.jpg

054.jpg

Lauky especially wanted a trail where he would meet lots of his "friends".
057.jpg

033.jpg

We also wanted a hike that would offer outstanding views from beginning to end.
037-1.jpg

042.jpg

045.jpg

046-1.jpg

047.jpg

041-1.jpg

Well, we found it. It was the Polecat trail up Wild Cat.

There are obviously a lot of VFTTers who also ski because at least five times people stopped to ask if "that was Lauky."

A dog on the slopes tends to attract attention and we had many conversations throughout the hike with folks who stopped to chat.

Lauky had a fit going up. He just couldn't understand why we were going up when all his friends were going down. But in the end he gave his approval.
055.jpg

Last edited:
What a darn cute fella and a perfect hike! :)

Lauky is so adorable! Yes, he must have been confused by the downhill direction of all his new buddies. Too funny! :D

Congrats on another great hike.

This one made my day! You could sell tickets to the Swiss Bob event. ;) Hope we meet you guys on the trails one of these days.

Great day to welcome Spring

Great to finally meet you guys (guy & dog) in person (& in dog?) along the Polecat. Lauky was heading in the right direction at this time. My son and I were completing our first round of NH48 4K's after about 18 months of starts and stops. I was worried it might be difficult going from Wildcat D to Wildcat A but we met a couple coming off Wildcat C and the trail was well packed and broken out. We were accompanied by my son's family (wife and 3 kids) and enjoyed some champagne and sparkling cider on the ledge overlooking the Carter Notch Hut. A great way to welcome the Spring hiking season. Hope to meet again.

Last edited:
Great to finally meet you guys (guy & dog) in person (& in dog?) along the Polecat. Lauky was heading in the right direction at this time. My son and I were completing our first round of NH48 4K's after about 18 months of starts and stops. I was worried it might be difficult going from Wildcat D to Wildcat A but we met a couple coming off Wildcat C and the trail was well packed and broken out. We were accompanied by my son's family (wife and 3 kids) and enjoyed some champagne and sparkling cider on the ledge overlooking the Carter Notch Hut. A great way to welcome the Spring hiking season. Hope to meet again.

Congratulations to both of you.:) That was quite an entourage you had with you. Hope we'll see you on April 10 in Exeter.