The Positives of Winter Hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-smoothness of trails, rocks and roots covered
-greater visibility, no leaves, better light coverage, higher vantage point
-televator bars!
-same hike, different landscape
-no bugs
-watching the woods fill up with snow
-silent serenity
-added edge of greater potential risk and/or danger
-bewildering non-hiking friends with pics and tails of sub-freezing, snow bound exploits

A pictorial list of positive reasons for winter hiking.

Trails are easier in the Winter
5451091713_d833855d15_m.jpg

Ladders are more, ummm, interesting in the Winter
5451717624_0731c4a5f5_m.jpg

Trail signs are easier to find in the Winter.
5451674968_1bfa8cc508_m.jpg

Cairns look cooler in the Winter.
5451054831_7e95cfa482_m.jpg

It is easier to see through the trees in the Winter.
5451644164_71f12453ce_m.jpg

You can get behind waterfalls and not get wet in the Winter.
5451652476_e06ff51883_m.jpg

No line at the Tip Top House in the Winter
5451627490_8cdfe8540a_m.jpg

No sweat running down your arms in the Winter
5451007035_b78f9da930_m.jpg

Downside to Winter. Bandits.
5451784962_0f7c028cbe_m.jpg

JohnL

I've never had a woman ask me, "Does my ass look big in these baggy, oversized, non-form-fitting, insulated black hiking pants?"

Nellie doesn't care about frozen. It's still there. You can still roll in it.:D

Ah, but it doesn't stick to the fur and give off quite the same redolence if it is frozen.

My dogs love finding and eating frozen dead animal parts in winter, and I don't worry as much about their treasures being rotten and making them sick.

Lucky Find by Elizabeth W.K., on Flickr

If you forget toilet paper your ok.;)

Yeah, and you can use your ice ax to dig that foot deep hole in the soil.:D And since the snow will be five feet deep make sure you bring a rope so you can pull yourself back up to the top.:p And if you're above the treeline in that wind be sure to position yourself right and you won't have anything around to put in the hole.

Last edited:
Stillness. Panoramic, crystaline, soul filling, silence. :)

:rolleyes: My dyslexia got to me first on this one. I read: sillyness, panic, foul smelling and nonsence. Which made no sense to me, so I re-read it. I just love how the terrain changes, how the sounds and smells are different, how most of the people who are out in winter are really enchanted with where they are. Think I should go home now...

Last edited:
Not a big fan of winter or snow however, I do like to use my snowshoes. Also the solitude is very nice.

I like the sounds of adults playing in the snow.
I like seeing the animal tracks.
I never get tired of how beautiful the mountains are in the winter...how the sky is so incredibly blue, how everything just sparkles, how the branches are covered with ice and sound like chimes.......icicles.
I like how people who don't hike in the winter think you're totally insane. :)

Its like hitting your head against the wall kos it feels good when you stop. Summer will be here soon.