The Ritual

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scarpy

Reaction score
I love the ritual of preparing for a hike almost as much (I said "almost") as the hike itself. Mine goes something like this:
1. Pour a beer
2. Empty pack & double check basics-i.e. extra clothes, head lamp, spare batteries, compass, etc.
3. Put the clothes I intend to wear, along with any extras, on the kitchen table-my wife does not like this
4. Pour a beer.
5. Make sure I have proper PPE, depending on season (personal protectective equipment)
6. Gather water bottles, snacks, thermoses (or is the plural of thermos thermi?)
7. Apply boot grease to boots-this may be the last time I'll hike with leather boots this year.
8. Check map & read WMG trail description one last time.
9. Set alarm for 430 (I'll hit snooze at least three times)
10. Pour beer.
11. Search VFTT & all other trail reporting websites for my destination.
12. Check MWOBS weather forecast.
13. Wonder if I have a problem

I'll continue...

The night before:

I get the coffee maker ready for the "on" switch in the AM.
Put the oatmeal in the bowl, measure the water in the measuring cup
Line up the thermoses and travel mugs
Pack poles, snowshoes, boots, other things in the car

(all things cut down on time AND noise in the AM)

The morning of:
Wake up at T-45. Turn on coffee pot. Microwave Oatmeal. Get dressed.
While eating: Put on water to boil, if tempering thermoses; Microwave soup, if appropriate; check weather.
Make sandwiches
Pack food
Pack water bottles
Put pack in car
Drive
Hike

Come home happy :D. Note, if doing the SSW48 and hiking again the next day, do any laundry, dry any wet clothes, and re-pack the backpack.

Tim

I'll continue...

The night before:

I get the coffee maker ready for the "on" switch in the AM.
Put the oatmeal in the bowl, measure the water in the measuring cup
Line up the thermoses and travel mugs
Pack poles, snowshoes, boots, other things in the car

(all things cut down on time AND noise in the AM)

The morning of:
Wake up at T-45. Turn on coffee pot. Microwave Oatmeal. Get dressed.
While eating: Put on water to boil, if tempering thermoses; Microwave soup, if appropriate; check weather.
Make sandwiches
Pack food
Pack water bottles
Put pack in car
Drive
Hike

Come home happy :D. Note, if doing the SSW48 and hiking again the next day, do any laundry, dry any wet clothes, and re-pack the backpack.

Tim
I knew I forgot something! Oatmeal!!

I had a similar routine for bicycle races. I don't get many group rides in these days, and I kind of dislike having to drive somewhere to ride when I have awesome riding right out of my driveway.

Tim

My husband goes on the tuesday night group rides out of plymouth and has a ritual of washing his truck and bike before the ride. Ya think he has OCD?