The sound was deafening

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carole

Reaction score
It got louder as I climbed. It was like the thunderous roar of a river – but there was no river; like the rushing wind through a pass – but there was no wind. Looking up, the tops of the trees were strangely still. I could have used an umbrella but it wasn’t raining. I could barely hear my snowshoes as I walked. But the sound was mesmerizing. Every tree was coated with a thick layer of ice and as the temperature of the morning warmed the ice began to fall. A cascading effect, starting at the tops and picking up speed and volume as it knocked more ice on the way down. As it hit the surface of the crusty snow it was crashing and bouncing liked someone dropping millions of marbles. They continued their bounce and roll down the slope like an army swarming toward you, and around you, and beyond you.

Each season has its beauty and within each season is such variety. Play time this winter has been great!

Hello SPRING!! :D

Your fine trip report reminded me of a more violent tree de-icing experience in the Kilkenny a couple of days after the January 1998 ice storm; the sounds were more like gunfire, which was at first disconcerting, but then became scary when I realized that I was at risk from falling limbs, which were responsible for the gunfire-like noise.

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
Your fine trip report reminded me of a more violent tree de-icing experience in the Kilkenny a couple of days after the January 1998 ice storm; the sounds were more like gunfire, which was at first disconcerting, but then became scary when I realized that I was at risk from falling limbs, which were responsible for the gunfire-like noise.

Crazy time, wasn't it? The scars of the trees were so evident, I remember thinking we'd be seeing the mess for years. While you can still see evidence of it, it's isn't as noticable as I expected.

OBTW, Carol, GREAT report!

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
I did some BC skiing shortly after that ice storm and went through the icing zone. Felt like I should be wearing a helmet for all the falling ice.

I also got to bushwack through the tops of trees--I was at ground level, but the treetops were inverted and frozen into the trail.

Doug