The Tale Of The 21 Peaker

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cath

Reaction score
With Brutie at his 48 in 1 Winter celebration on C
After a bit of strategizing about which 24 period at the beginning of the week would be optimal for a 21 Peaker, Summer Guy & I made one last phone contact
"This is it, the summits appear to be aligned for a temperature inversion. You can almost feel it slithering in!"

So it was determined that I would oversee the progression surveilance of this fun tour, in 12 hour increments, from within the confines of the walk-in freezer, of course.

The trek got underway at 4pm on Monday. A beautiful evening was starting to unfold. I tried to keep myself busy, but found that I was constantly looking up to the sky. Looking for a sign of some sort, I mused. To my surprise, my direct contact gizmo alerted me to incoming information, only a few hours into the proposed trek???? Summer Guy was reminiscing about my attempt at unassisted flight on a winter's day in March 2006. "I'm passing over the summit of North Lincoln Frosty!" We immediately lost contact, as he was DROPPING DOWN the north side of this peak, and obviously out of wave range.

At 7pm, I decided that the first of the 12 hour incremental contacts should be made. I rang him up, and received a cheery "Tim's Laundry". Not wanting to get side tracked with the goofy bantering that we are known for, I shouted "Are you seeing this? The colours up in the sky?" I heard a very loud groan of NO, but he did admit that the forest was bathed in red, reflecting from the colours in the sky! Then, he quickly shouted, "I've got an opening! Gotta Go!" I could just imagine him there on the trail, momentarily lost in the need to capture the moments on his memory card :D A sight I have witnessed many, many, many times before :p

The next 12 hour increment contact was indeed made at 7am. "So where were you at Midnight?", I quizzed. "Damned if I can remember, but the clock on the camera never lies, so I'll be sure to let you know later!" All sounded well, so we didn't find the need to take up valuable time chit-chatting. Click. So far, so good !!!

The intent of the next 9 hours would be devoted to cruising along the "paved sidewalk" that is the South / North Presi traverse. The real challenge would be to keep his shutter trigger finger in relaxation mode (so many photo opportunities, so little time) and make it to Route 2 by 4pm. A total of twenty four hours of pure fun indeed.

The full story to follow very soon ~ Frosty

Night is my companion, and solitude my guide. Could I spend forever here & not be satisfied.

coffee

how much was the coffee$$$did you get the mug??

Simply awesome that you can do that and take those photos at the same time. Thanks.

So did you do push-ups on the summits, too?

Got an estimate of mileage and elevation gain?

You're in a class by yourself, Seaver... both on the trails and behind the lens.

(Can I have your babies? ;))

What fun! :)
Glad you had such amazing weather for your equally amazing journey -- the pictures are a treasure and your words are a joyful read!
Thanks for sharing your experience, and your potato tube recipe :p !

:D

Last edited:
Hum, I can see it now;

Around the world in 79 days!

or how about;

All 8 planets, PLUS Pluto!

;)

simply extrodinary!

:)

Surprised you chose N Twin instead of Willey

Quite the hike all right!!

Last edited:
RoySwkr said:
> 14 down, 8 to go, and 9 hours left.

Whoops....thanks for catching that. Fixed it.

"13 down, 8 to go, and 9 hours left."

Willey would have been .2 longer, elevation gain a tiny bit less, but more ups and downs. The out and back to N Twin is pretty smooth.

Albee, I didn't crunch the elevation gain, but I think the mileage is about 60+.

I am sure Cath could calculate the gain in her head in a few seconds if you promised her a smoothie. ;)

That's an amazing accomplishment Tim. I doubt if anyone on this board considers it to be "meaningless".

BTW, how many schtickles are in a "smackerel"?

bob

Hey Tim,

They must have broken the mold after you were born........I just did 2 in 21 hours.....and that was Lincoln and Lafayette.......and got some bad foggy shots to show......I can see good ol' Bob marshall smiling in his grave :)

Mats

So i guess the double presidential traverse was a warm up?

It was great to meet and to do that one with you, and all i can say about this one is in the same tone as others, it's quite an accomplishment. Awesome job!

Jason

Bob - If a schtickle is truly a Yiddish term for a dab or dollop, then I would have to say a smackerel is at least 5 times that amount, possibly 10. I am pretty sure it is the amount of honey that can be successfully scooped from an earthenware jar or honey tree by a small bruin, but we would have to ask Winnie.

Jason, yes, that is exactly what the 2xTraverse ended up being - that was so much fun I couldn't resist a follow-up.