the three Blackheads and Kaaterskill High Peak - Prez Wkend TR

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EarthNsky

Reaction score
The forecast was looking cold and extremely windy with a wind chill that could bite your head off. We knew going in that the snow, if any, would be nil at best.

I met Crazypace around 530pm Friday night and we were on the road by 630. We made decent time getting there inspite of the ski traffic we encountered in the Poconos. We arrived at the Black Dome trailhead on Big Hollow Rd. The parking lot was covered in ice, but there was no snow to speak of, zilch. I was surprised since the trail head is around 2250 feet.

It was quite cold though, very cold and ultra-windy. We were both packing around 80 lbs of weight in our packs. We hiked into the dark woods on the Black Dome Trail and then switched to the Batavia Kill Trail and a mile point three later and some five hundred feet higher, we arrived at the Batavia Kill Lean-to, which was pretty easy to find as it was right off the trail.

The leanto was empty. We had planned to set up tents, but the wind gusts were fierce, so we opted to set up basecamp 1 in the lean-to.
It was around 11, we tried to get a fire going, but the wind would have no part in it. The stars were out in force and soon after the moon followed and lit up the night sky. It didn't take long and we were both out cold in the cold, only to wake up now and then due to the wind gusts sounding like 747s taking off from the trail.

We both woke up before 7am to view the white out conditions from inside the lean-to. The world outside was covered in a thin layer of white and it was pretty. The snow was falling heavily and the wind was still blowing mightly.

We packed up and prepared our daypacks and then stashed our overnight packs in the woods. The snow continued to fall. Our plan for the day was to traverse the Blackhead Range and in the process bag Blackhead, Black Dome and Thomas Cole.

We set out and started the gentle climb on the Batavia Kill Trail up to the Escarpment Trail. There we turned south and the climb continued to be gentle for a short while further. It didn't take long to encounter ice and after a few near-slides, we decided to donn our crampons.

Once we had our crampons on, the pitch of the trail grew steeper and steeper and with the increased steepness, came more ice. Needless to say, the trail would have been impassible without crampons.

We came out onto a ledge on the Catskill front that overlooked the Hudson Valley to the east. Visibility was low, but we still could see valley below. The sun had trying to come out all morning. Knowing there were more views to come, I started doing a sun chant to help coax it out from behind the clouds.

After the view, the trail got very steep, it was almost straight up. This partof the trail is considered to be the steepest in the Catskills. At the time of our climb, it was an icewall. We both got out our ice axes. I stopped to fix my crampons while Crazypace climbed the wall towards the summit and told me he'd wait for me at the top. Halfway up he yelled down to tell me it was solid ice and that the axe would be necessary for the climb.

Shortly after, I got my crampons adjusted and I started my climb. I reached up and thought I had a good hand hold and then kicked into the ice with my crampon and started to pull myself up, but my hand slipped out of the hold. Yup, no way to get up this with out the axe.

I axed into the ice and used the anchored axe as a hold and pulled myself up. With both feet dug into the ice, I pulled the axe out and repeated the process until I was at the top of the wall. Once I got to the top, I looked back down and thought about how much fun that was. For the first time in my life, I felt like a mountaineer, even though I was climbing a mountain that is under 4,000 feet high.

At the top Crazypace was waiting for me. We both talked about how much fun it was climbing the icewall and then celebrated the peak bag and turned onto the BlackHead-Black Dome Range Trail. The trail followed the ridge of BlackHead for a little through snowwy stunted spruce and fir trees and they acted like shields from the fierce wind that was wripping acrossed the summit. We came to an opening and could see across to Black Dome, which was but a silouette in the falling snow and fog.

We scambled down off of Blackhead into the col. We crossed the col and then started up Black Dome. There was a section of scrambling to get up a ledge, but it wasn't too bad, and once upon the top of the ledge, the view, albiet still foggy was very nice. The sun was now picking up the pace in burning off the clouds.

It wasn't too long after the ledge that we reached the summit of Black Dome and we were both surprised by how easy it was. There was another view from the top of Black Dome and from there we celebrated another successful peak bag and continued on our way.

The descent from Black Dome was less steep and had virtually no scrambling. At one point we could see across the col to the summit of Thomas Cole and it looked fairly big. We wondered what the climb up Thomas Cole would be like. It turned out that it wasn't steep at all and before long, we were at the top of it. We crossed the entire length of the summit ridge until the trail began descending to make sure we had the summit. We didn't find any views from the peak, but there was much rejoicing after reaching the days goal of getting all three of the Blackheads.

The temperature started to drop quickly and we could definitely feel it was getting colder fast. The wind was still blowing fiercely as well. We turned back around and started to head back down. We had lunch just below the summit and then finished the descent when we ran into another hiker who was out for the day.

We chatted with him, he said he also occasionally posts on views from the top. I didn't catch his trailname though. He continued on his way up Thomas Cole as we started back up Black Dome.

The sun was now out so we stopped at the summit view on Black Dome and we could see across to the Devils Path Range. The wind was whipping snow off of the trees and it was whirling around like a mini tornado. It was very cool to watch.

The view from the top of the ledge on th east face of Black Dome was also now free from clouds and fog and we could see the tall buildings in Albany, some thirty miles away and before us was the Hudson Valley, Taconics Range in Connecticut and Massechussets, Devils Path Range and Kaaterskill High Peak and directly in front of us was Black Head. It was a great view and we took it in for more than 10 minutes.

We then scrambled down off of the ledge and then back down into the col between black dome and blackhead. There we took off the crampons and took a break before heading back to the lean-to by taking a shortcut on the black dome trail.

Bryan, the hiker was saw on the way down from Thomas Cole then caught back up with us and he hiked down off of the Blackheads with us. We parted ways at the bottom when he continued on the Black Dome trail and we turned onto the Batavia Kill trail to go back to the lean-to to get our packs.

The temperature was supposed to get down to six in Albany, that meant it would be near or below zero where we were and the windchill would make it even colder. It was only 245, so we decided to head back down to the vehicle and then back into town where we would find a hotel room and dinner.

I know, hardly roughing it, but due to the windchill, we thought it was a good plan.

We also figured that we could then rest up and get one more peak on Sunday.

We had an awesome dinner at Black Bear Inn and then tuckered from the day's hike, we were asleep before 9.

stay tuned for part 2

Last edited:
part 2 - KHP

sunday morning took a long time to get there. This was good though, it meant a good night sleep was attained. Well rested, we were up just before 7. To try and get some sort of camp feel, Crazypace fired up his stove and we boiled water for oatmeal and hotchocolate from inside the hotel room.

Packed up and ready to scoot, we left the hotel room behind and headed over to Platte Cove where we picked up NY's Long Path. On Sunday's plate was Kaaterskill High Peak. This would be our fourth and final 3500 peak of the weekend.

With Crazypace's vehicle parked in the trailhead parking lot, we started up the Long Path bare booting it. It was a gradual grade, but quite icy. The crampons remained in the packs though. We rounded High Peak on the Long Path (which doubles as a snowmobile trail, when there is in fact snow) until we got to the northern face of the mountain. The trail then leveled off. We passed two hikers who had camped that night below the southern face. They told us of two plane wrecks on the mountain and that a view could be attained on the south side of the summit. The mountain is kind of a bushwack, as no official trail climbs to the summit, however, there is an unmaintained trail on both faces. The hikers gave us some insight into finding the trail up the northern face and much thanks goes out to them (also, much thanks to Pennsy, who gave me a lot of info on Kaaterskill High Peak).

We could see K High Peak to our left as we were rounding the north side. We knew we were getting close. The final climb up to the summit is steep. Finally, we got to where the snowmobile trail splits off to the left from the Long Path and climbs up to the snow mobile loop which circles K. High Peak. We climbed up to the snowmobile loop and shortly after that we reached where the unmaintained trail trickles its way up to the summit.

We were following some tracks of another hiker who was going to the summit of KHP and we followed his tracks right on past the side trail since he over shot the side trail. We saw where he turned left to head up the mountain and thought of following his route, but crazypace decided we should find the real trail. We turned back and it didn't take long to find the real trail.

The real trail is marked with a rock cairn and then the trail has small blue blazes on rocks and trees. The trail follows a drainage path and is gradual at first. We turned onto the trail and the crampons were still in our packs. It didn't take long before the trail started to get steep and icy. We got to a small rock ledge and I tried to climb it and slid on the ice. It was crampon time.

We put on our crampons and then scrambled up the ledge. From there the trail was steep and icy. At time we had to use our ice axes. This peak was a lot of fun to climb. It was like moutaineering 101.

We celebrated the peak bag on the summit and then looked for the ledge on the south face that would yield the view.

It didn't take long to find and it was awesome!!! It was one of the best views I have encountered in all of the Catskills and I'd say it rivals the Wittenburg view for best in the 'skills.

We hung out there for a few minutes. The wind wasn't too bad and the sun felt great. The view was of the Devils Path Range, you could see Platte Clove, and the Hudosn Valley. It was clear and sunny and we could probably see all the way into CT and MA.

We hiked back down off the mountain and made good time getting back to the truck. It was a perfect hike! One of the best hikes I've ever been on. KHP is my favorite peak in the Catskills so far.
We had lunch in Phoenicia and then hit the road back to PA and made incredible time.

Looking back now, reflecting on a great weekend of hiking and peak bagging, all I can think of is how much fun hiking is and how much I love it. I can't wait to get back to the Catskills. I love the views and scenery in those mountains. I love the climbs up the mountains and the scrambling over the rock ledges. They are truly a special place to hike.

This was the first time I ever used an ice axe and climbing up the ice walls was a lot of fun.

I hope to return to the Catskills for some more peak bagging in March.

I'll post some pics shortly.

Sounds like a great trip. Those are all real nice peaks. The col between Black Dome and Blackhead is known as Lockwood Gap, and the lookout on the south side of KHP is called Hurricane Ledge. I agree that it's a terrific view, as do most Catskill hikers. Indian Head is really in your face when you're up there. If you haven't yet climbed the eastern Devil's Path peaks, I'd recommend them for one of your next trips.

Matt

Great report, I'm trying to plan the same trip for thursday, but maybe coming up from the other side and hitting Thomas Cole first, don't want to kill my knees on the first peak...I hiked Blackhead last year but I don't really remember it to well, it was my first solo, very scared...interesting about hiding your packs, i always wondered about that....ps..I camped out that night with the scouts in the catskills....temps -3 to -7 without the wind!...wild night...I'm saving KP for my last..

thanks for the info Matt. I have hiked most of the Devils Path and I only have the stretch from Diamond Notch over Westkill to Spruceton Rd to do, but I do love that trail. The eastern half is a motha!

Coldfeet, saving KPH for your last peak is a grand idea! The view from Hurricane Ledge is astounding. I'm not sure which peak I will save for my last. I am thinking about saving Windham for last.

Awesome pics, I gotta really learn how to use webshots, glad to see the blackhead summit picture, i had to look at mine to confirm that I was at the summit...was that a regular digital camera? Now I'm thinking about an ice axe just to help pull me up and over some ledges, also thought about putting on knee pads to help soften the pain on the rocks and ice, sounds funny but it might be time to try it..

coldfeet, it was a digital. The iceaxe helped a great deal and I was glad to have it. It can't hurt for winter hiking. Your knee pad idea sounds pretty good, Some of those ledges require knee placements.

Thanks Yam!

Hey Percious, you mean in the pics? It was new gear for both of us and we were excited about getting to actually use them so they made special appearances in the pics. They were necessary on a section of Blackhead and then again on Kaaterskill HP. I was really glad to have it along. Getting up Blackhead would have been really difficult with out it.

Nice pictures ENS, what software do you use for your Panoramas?

The view from Blackdome and Blackhead are fantastic.

Hurricane ledge is very nice, even nicer with members of the Bruderhof ;) KHP was my final winter 3500 and I know folks who are planning on finishing on KHP in April..

Jay

Hey Jay, I may need to pick your brain for some info on the evil bushwack peaks (Lone, Rocky, Balsam Cap and Friday) here shortly. I hope to get up there for those peaks sometime in March or April before the spring veg growth spurt.

I'm also planning on returning to the 'skills in two weeks to do winter peaks Slide, Panther and Balsam and I'm going to add Eagle, Big Indian, Fir and hopefull Halcott into the mix as well. Let me know if you're interested in coming along for any of the hikes.

Thanks, I use zoom browser EX for my pans.

In the wintertime, is camping permitted on Hurricane Ledge? I know it's above 3500 feet, but I understand camping is allowed in some areas during the wintertime above 3500 feet. It seems like it'd be a neat place to winter bivvy. You can probably see the sun set and rise from that spot.

EarthNsky said:
In the wintertime, is camping permitted on Hurricane Ledge? I know it's above 3500 feet, but I understand camping is allowed in some areas during the wintertime above 3500 feet.

Camping is permitted anywhere (on public land) above 3500' in the Catskills in the Winter.

EnS, I've tried the Canon software, I've found Panorama Factory a lot faster and better, but yours did come out nicely.

I'm doing Slide this weekend as a traverse with others. Just yell about your other trips...

As far as camping above 3500, you'll find fire rings on Hurricane Ledge, however, although camping is permited in winter above 3500', technically campfires are not permitted at all about 3500'..

Jay

ENS, the "evil" bushwhack range is really not so bad. Kind of a nice area actually. There are some cliffs on the way of Friday, and there are some fairly thick stands of spruce on Rocky and Balsam Cap, but none of these obstacles are really that hard to avoid and/or negotiate. Traditionally, they are done either as two pairs (Lone/Rocky and Friday/BC), or all together as a long traverse.

If you approach from the valley of the Neversink east branch, you can avoid a lot of the dense stuff on Rocky. Then you can come back over to Lone-I have found it easier to go from Rocky to Lone than vice-versa. If you do Friday/BC from Moon Haw Road, there are herd paths once you get into the thick stuff on BC. If you come up this way, remember that the Shultis property access is now closed, so you have to use the state land access near the end of the road.

Matt

ENS

I see you are thinking about the evil bushwhack range.

I am thinking about doing Peekamoose > Table > Lone > Rocky > Balsam Cap > Friday > Cornell > Wittenberg one of these weekends before March 21. If you are interested give me a shout.

George

Thanks for the info everyone!

I'm interested doodles! I'll bein the 'skills the weekend of the 9th-12th, but I plan on getting the required winter peaks and several others, but I'd like to get back up and do Lone through Friday.

Doing them in pairs sounds like a pretty good idea. I like the idea of doing Rocky followed by Lone and then Balsam Cap and Friday.

You guys might want to consider doing it the opposite direction, start at Moon Haw road (not in Friedel's property) and do Friday over to Table/Peekamoose, because if you get caught out in the darkness, going down the LP to the TH is a lot safer/easier than going down Friday where there is a possibility of getting into the cliffs and avoiding Freidel's property will be easier in daylight.

HarryK and I did the hike in 9.5 hours total, including time to putz around at the canisters, take canister shots, etc. etc. And we hit the summit of Table which was an out and back as we hit the LP about 1/2 mile below the true summit of table.

Jay