The ultimate backpacking destination in Europe?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruckerz

Reaction score
Ok, so most people when they get out of college (or maybe are in college), drive across the United States or something. I'm planning a backpacking trip in Europe, quite possibly in France.

Can anyone suggest an itinerary that will include 1 full week of backpacking time that shows the best of France? I'd like to get away into the woods, but I do like to spend my time wandering from small town to small town.

Trip reports would be helpful, importantly logistical info. Oh yeah the time of this trip is mid May of this year.

Whiel I love backpacking, I am wondering if you will have as much fun backpacking in Europe as you would getting a Eurailpass and traveling to several cities staying at campgrounds or hostels and doing dayhikes in the Alps -

In France - Absolute must are the Southern Alps - If you can get to Chamonix, (near Geneva), all the better. My third time there, I rented a motorcycle for a week and spent much of my time in small villages between Nice and Monaco, bumping over into Italy a few times. It is a big country and hard to take it all in for a week. Kep in mind - In the small viallges, customs are kept and most if not all shops close from about noon to 2-2:30.

Anotehr nice feature of the Eurailpass is you can pay a tiny bit more and get a sleeper car and wake up in a different city the next morning.

If you want to experience the best of the French Alps, go to Chamonix and do the hike (hut-to-hut) around Mt. Blanc. Even if you don't want to do that, make Chamonix a part of your trip. It's a wonderful place at any time of year. Take the cable car up to l'Aiguille du Midi (13,600 ft.) and check out Mt. Blanc up close. If you're a rock climber, hook up with a guide and skip the cable car!

Otherwise, it depends what you like. I enjoyed the Beaune area, which is the heart of the Burgundy wine region. We drove, though. Other very cool places are Giverny (Henri Matisse's home); Paris (I love Paris!); Brittany (its woods are dark and mysterious); the Loire valley (chateaux and castles with moats); and Provence (the food).

Oh, and did I mention Chamonix? :D

If you don't speak any French, try to learn a little before you go. The people really appreciate anyone who makes an effort in their language, and they'll help you out. People here complain about Parisians, but they're city folks just like city folks anywhere--some are gruff, some are unpleasant, many are busy, but many are very helpful and friendly, too.

The Musée d'Orsay has a huge collection of Impressionist art that you should see, whether you like art or not.

Oh, and if you need a guide and translator, PM me and I'm sure we can work out a reasonable fee! :cool:

My wife and I spent nine weeks in France during the summer and fall of 2002. Our original intent was to doas much long distance walking/backpacking as possible and there is a site "walking in France" that gives the details. Our plans were curtailed due to a bum leg, but we did experience some marelous walking/ hiking--especially day trips out of Chamonix (there were no crowds to speak of when we were there in mid september). Some of our best times were spent in the maritme alps just above Nice. this area is reached by a small two car train and offers a great deal of day trip hiking You can check this out by going to: http://www.beyond.fr/travel/railpignes.html

While the elevations are not the same (by a long shot) as the Chamonix valley, you ae off the beaten path and have some good values in food and lodging.

One can even walk across Paris in a day or two using Lonely Planets Walking in France guide.

While hiking last year, I met a couple from Ottawa. They recalled their most exciting trip with great gusto. They hiked a system of trails in Iceland on June 21, the summer solstice. Apparently, the sun is up all night (i.e. 7 PM to 7 AM). Local hikers follow trails all night, in the light, from one thermal spa to another. Sounds like great fun. Wish I had more specifics to share with you. However, this one is truly on my "must do" list.

After just returning from Chamonix, Zermatt and Cervinia, I'll cast my vote. The Haute route runs from Chamonix to Zermatt, and can be hiked in the summer, as well as skied in the winter. I hired a Swiss MOuntian Guide for skiing while I was there, and wouldn't blink at the chance to do it again. They also guide in the summer if you're interested. Lots of small villages throughout the alps. Great food to be had. The Swiss Rail train system is top notch. Easy to get around with a flexi rail pass. Get over there and have fun :)