The unkillable daypack.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Strange enough, I see a lot of friends and fellow VFTT hikers with fancy Ospreys, Golites, Marmots, etc. daypacks and I can't think of any way to get rid or kill my ole trusty Lowe Alpine Contour 30 that I bought for like $30 at STP many years ago. Very simple design, a bag, a big pocket, a small elasticized pocket, two mesh side pockets, and a big mesh gear pocket on the outside.

I've managed to hike the Catskills 100, almost all the ADK46, done 2 presi traverses, gone to a bunch of differenent national parks, has hiked in Alaska daytrips and doesn't die...And I keep putting off patches on it cause I keep telling myself I am going to replace it someday.

I've biked to work in it, I've carried my skis on it in winter, snowshoes and skis will fit in the side compression straps and/or side gear pocket for snowshoes. Heck, I've bike to work with my skis on it once. Boots were stored in my panniers.

It's the daypack that wont die! I don't think I could replace it even though many times I've looked at the Osprey Atmos packs at Campmore....

Jay

I'm still using my ANCIENT Lowe Contour IV for backpack trips---truly bomber stuff.

They don't make 'em like they used to.

I definitely prefer some of my old gear (such as packs...) over the stuff that is available now. Don't know what I am going to do if and when it wears out...

Doug

Last edited:
I've only really wore out one of the 8 or 10 day packs I've had over the years.
Most got sold off as I found a better mousetrap.

I have an LL Bean daypack that could probably survive a nuclear assault. I think it's the Bigelow? I could have sworn it was another, slightly smaller model starting with a 'M' but I could be wrong. Anyway, I use it for everything... hiking, gym bag, beach trips, etc., and though I've only had it for a little over two years, it sees use several times each week. No notable wear and tear, very comfortable, and a smart design. LL Bean rocks in my book.

I still carry, on many hikes, a "teardrop" shaped summit pack by Alpine Designs, ca 1971 vintage. It is a nifty little pack of about 1200 cubic inches. Two zippered compartments, one above the other, leather bottom, leather shoulder straps lined with felt. It is a classic.

My collection also includes a larger Alpine Designs Euro-style rucksack, ca 1971. Leather bottom and straps, too, with aluminum back stays to stabilize the load. It also remains serviceable, but newer packs with functional hip belts haul the load more comfortably.

G.

Funny that you threw GoLite in with the other "fancy" packs. If there's a more minimalist brand that eschew features I don't know it. In fact check out their new pack line when your Lowe finally expires (probably a long time from now!). GoLite is doing some pretty cool stuff right now and I'm a big believer in that brand...

truepatriot09 said:
Funny that you threw GoLite in with the other "fancy" packs. If there's a more minimalist brand that eschew features I don't know it. In fact check out their new pack line when your Lowe finally expires (probably a long time from now!). GoLite is doing some pretty cool stuff right now and I'm a big believer in that brand...

I used a Golite dawn as a summit pack on Mt Shasta, I believe that isn't made anymore but it weighs like 14oz but it is frameless which in itself is a pro and a con. Pro that it is extremely packable in a backpack to be used as a daypack and very light, con that it doesn't carry a lot of weight/bulk comfortably. But as a summitpack on big mountains it is OK, I don't know how well it would hold up and wouldn't really trust it on an ADK bushwack.

Jay

Yeah that's been the company's MO for a while. If you adhered to the Ultra Lite weight philosophy the packs worked well, but as frameless packs, don't overburden them. That's why I love the new line so much because they've retained super liteweight and now have packs with aluminum stays and framesheets. Check out their website...good stuff.

Got my EMS 2500 pack in 1994, I think. Used it for college, dayhikes, climbing, travel overseas, and everything in between.

I've replaced buckles on it, and the seam on the right shoulder strap is pulling out a little. Otherwise, the thing is bomber.

It's hanging on the wall of my cubicle right now with my lunch and some other crap in it.

Jay H said:
I used a Golite dawn.... I don't know how well it would hold up and wouldn't really trust it on an ADK bushwack.
I have the Golite Jam and have taken it on pretty well all of my ADK hikes and bushwhacks over the past 2 years. Recently I did an overnight bushwhack with it and had a 4 liter bladder, full, in the sleeve. Truly amazing how it holds up to severe pack abuse. The bottom is showing signs of wear and I can't imagine it holding up forever but when it's time to euthanise it I'll get another.

truepatriot09 said:

Deuter Speedlite Series