The Weeks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiguy

Reaction score
Headed to the Weeks Sat. 9/30/06. Will be going in from the Fish Hatchery around 8:00 AM. Kind of late notice but feel free to come along.

Paradox said:
I have a previous engagement, but thank you. Bring your hand saw, there was a lot of blowdowns, when I did that trail

Thanx Paradox...How long ago did you do this Trail? Were the blowdowns on the ridge,below or just all over?

I did Waumbec via Starr King in July 11, 2004 (Man, it seemed like yesterday). The Starr King Trail was in pristeen condition. The blow downs started immediately afterward, many had been there quite a while, as evidenced by the side trails around many of them. I did an out and back and I thought I had them counted and written down somewhere, but I can't find it. I don't know where the fish hatchery is. Happy trails, and wear leather boxers.

Paradox said:
Happy trails, and wear leather boxers.

I actually prefer Kevlar to Leather in that particular application...just my opinion. :)

I went across the Weeks a couple of weeks ago and most if not all the blowdowns were gone. It's a nice little hike across the ridge and starting to get even better with the change in foliage.

DougPaul said:
Berlin Fish Hatchery on York Pond Rd. (The road into Bunnell Notch Tr.)

Doug

Thanx DougPaul for chirping in... I was really trying to get my bearings. Do you think I need a GPS? Which one? I guess after the BakeOff this weekend you'll have some better insight...Let me know. For this one I'm taking my Car to the TrailHead and plan on hiking with Map and Compass..I'll let you know if I get Back!

skiguy said:
Thanx DougPaul for chirping in... I was really trying to get my bearings. Do you think I need a GPS? Which one? I guess after the BakeOff this weekend you'll have some better insight...Let me know. For this one I'm taking my Car to the TrailHead and plan on hiking with Map and Compass..I'll let you know if I get Back!
The roads are adequately marked and there is a nice large parking lot--I drove via Berlin. The trail to Bunnell Notch is also easy to follow. The descriptions are in the guidebook.

There is a gate at the Fish Hatchery which may be closed at night. Ask at the hatchery.

Never done the Weeks, so I have no beta on them. Shouldn't need a GPS for the driving and I'm sure that others have done the hike without.

Doug

Last edited:
Good to see they're maintaining the Weeks trails, "yellow dog". These (3) peaks were mostly open woods bushwhacks when we did them back in the early 1980s, and again later in winter (1988). I always wondered why they put them (trails) there at all since none of the peaks have open view points as I recall.