Therm-A-Rest ProLite 4 in Winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John S

Reaction score
The Therm-A-Rest ProLite 4 sleeping pads are supposed to be four season pads. Does anyone have actual winter experience with these pads? Specifcally, does an inch and a half pad seem sufficient by itself or will an additional closed cell pad likely be required?

Thanks.

In winter I would be very wary of relying on just an inflatable pad for warmth. Should the inflatable pad get a leak......

A primary full length pad and secondary 3/4 is what I use most times. One will be closed cell, the other inflatable. If the 3/4 is closed cell it's handy to keep it accessible, that way around the camp fire or at a lunch break you can use it to sit on with out worry of holing it.

I've sandwiched wet clothes between the two pads in hopes of drying out at night, that doesn't really work but it does keep wet clothes from becoming fozen clothes.

Frozen clothes, the one thing I really don't like about winter camping...

I have the Thermarest guidelite and it has an R vaule of 3.8. I have found that I need a to put closed cell pad under the guidelite for winter camping. The pro Lite 4 has an R value of 3.2. I can not see how the prolite 4 could be a good enough on its own keeping the cold away. The R value is only slightly lower, but for me the guidelite w/ the larger R value needs the help of a closed cell.. I would think the prolite 4 would also need a closed cell pad.

Warren said:
In winter I would be very wary of relying on just an inflatable pad for warmth. Should the inflatable pad get a leak......
I've never worried about that. I figure the therma-rests are bomb-proof. (Now I've done it: here comes a bunch of posts about leaky therma-rests :) )

Your R factor needs will depend on whether you sleep on snow (warm) or in a lean-to (cold). One tip: lay out all extra clothes under you.

Sub thread: Do you sleep naked?

I cant keep all the Therma-rest model names in order, but they make some that inflate to 2 inches and some that inflate to 1.5 inches or less. In winter, I just use the 2 inch one. Works for me fine @-10F in a -20 bag in a lean-to.
I put a plastic drop cloth under it to stop the drafts coming up from in between the boards.

Last edited:
i've only used a guidelite 3/4 for all my camping experiences including winter. in fact, the only reason i bought the sleeping pad was for my first winter trip, and i stuck with the 3/4 because i wanted to keep it light so i can use it in all 4 seasons. so far i've never had any problems keeping warm in the winter time, except for my feet, which would be off the pad. after i finally got some money, i purchased the prolite 4R on sale last may in the hopes that it will add a little more comfort without much added weight. i think it will be warm enough for the winter. honestly, i have not had any problems with just the guidelite so i don't anticipate any problems with the prolite 4. but i do sleep with a -20 bag, so maybe that makes a difference? oh, and i like to sleep in a tent on the snow. with all the wind, etc. i don't see how sleeping in a lean-to can be that warm.

I just bought a full length Prolight 4 which I recently used on a boat for a week where night time temps were occasionally in the high 30s. Not winter but adequate for 3 season.

The reason I bought it was that it was actually lighter than my Guidelight 3/4 but at 72" it was a great pleasure. Both are 1.5 inches thick. No longer did I have cold feet or bump my head when my "pillow" (stuff sack w. clothes) moved out of the way. As a 3 season alternative, now I can go full length.

As for details, it's harder to self inflate as some have mentioned, but that's hardly a big deal. I can still blow hard ;).

Pb

OK Neil,
FWIW,
My 14 or 15-year old orange (actually my first Thermarest) full length picked up a small - lamost microscopic hole 2 years ago. I promptly got out my ~1990 thermarest patch kit with the tube of rock hard glue and the useless unsticky patches and then even more promptly went out and bought a new patch kit. It has worked like a champ since.

BTW, I really wouldn't want to be out in subzero weather with just one pad, I would want my ridgerest as an absolute backup.

I never had a problem with my regular thermarest in -30 degree weather. The snow insulates quite a bit actually. This year I am going to use my Prolite 3 with a closed cell pad. I like having the pad on day-hikes, and around camp. I think the Prolite will handle the weather. I can handle colder temps better then most people though.

-percious