Things that make you smile

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smile

Things (in the mountains) that make me smile;

.....Getting hit by a crisp wind when you hit the ridge line
.....The smell of the woods when its raining
.....The trail when its raining
.....Snow making its way down my back after falling off the trees on a early
sunny winter morning
.....Children discovering the deep, dark, woods (and all the creepy crawlers
that live in (and under) the deep, dark woods.
.....And that ICE COLD BEER waiting in my car after the hike

Paradox said:
The pine tree scent you get up near tree line.

Oh ditto!!! I thought I was alone! I live for that smell....almost balsam. I call it the "that alpine smell". If I could bottle it!!

BTW Giggy...... Love the avatar....Hello from the gutter!

What makes me smile?

Steep uphills, but gradual downhills.

Soft light (early morning and early evening) for pictures.

When my wife wants to come hiking with me.

And finally...
It makes me smile that I'm not a 40'ish year old man who doesn't realize how pathetic it is for a 40'ish year old man to go on and on and on about the wonders of getting drunk, and yet thinks it's perfectly cool to mock people who want to share their enjoyment of the subtle beauty of the mountains.

What makes me smile is when I’m able to jump in front of someone coming along the trail just as I’m finishing my break.

Just kidding, Carole.

What actually makes me smile is spying the canister or jar. Also, my son accompanying me on my ‘‘30th anniversary’’ climb of Mount Washington last weekend.

What doesn’t make me smile is when I’m unable to fall asleep until past 5:30 o’clock when the alarm is set for seven.

dvbl said:
It makes me smile that I'm not a 40'ish year old man who doesn't realize how pathetic it is for a 40'ish year old man to go on and on and on about the wonders of getting drunk, and yet thinks it's perfectly cool to mock people who want to share their enjoyment of the subtle beauty of the mountains.

jeez, I really hope I didn't ruin your day. Ever think the post might have a bit tounge and cheek kidding around?

Pathetic? sounds like a personal attack to me?

Today's hike in the pouring rain brought many smiles as the trees seem to glow in gloom. :)

So much makes me smile while hiking...

That moment when the sound of road traffic disappears and its just trees as far as the eye can see.

The sight of a vivid blue sky through the trees.

The songs of white throated sparrows, red eyed-vireos, winter wrens and chicadees.

The smell of balsam.

The wonderful sound of the alpine wind as I approach the summit.

Rock scrambles.

Enjoying pleasant conversations with other hikers met along the way and to find that you are so like-minded with a complete stranger. Sometimes it makes me feel like I'm part of a big family.

The views.

That relaxing feeling of freedom.

giggy said:
jeez, I really hope I didn't ruin your day. Ever think the post might have a bit tounge and cheek kidding around?

Pathetic? sounds like a personal attack to me?
Oh....That was you? When I met you, I didn't think you looked a day over thirty. You don't hike slow enough to be forty-ish.

Last edited: