Think of me Saturday Oct. 1st

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best of luck!!! We stayed in St George twice this summer on our tour de Southwest and it's a nice little town- very nice people, cheap and good food and lodging. Just beware- Fall hasn't really come yet and it's good and hot- and dry!! - in this neck of the woods. Hydrate!!

YES! Boston 2013, YES!

Yesterday on a hot, mostly downhill course (quads are wrecked fo a week) I broke my qualifying time by almost 9 minutes with a 4:16:09 and was 15th in the 65-69 age group (out of 65 runners in the group) which I am now in. I will run Boston on April 15th 2013 when I will be 70.

YES!

Last edited:
Oops. I'm coming in late on this. I've also been doing more running than hiking lately. It's just where my life is taking me these days. Retro wishes for Saturday's run. Cool congrats, and I'll be thinking of you in April.

I'm back in good old NYC now. As for pictures, none of the marathon (obviously), but gazillions of Snow Canyon (wonderful state park in St.George), Zion N.P. and the north rim. I'll post links when I finish going through my 600+ photos.

Get this: at end of the marathon it was a torturous 90+ degree bright sunny day. When we left the north rim yesterday morning, it was 25 degrees, with 4-6 inches of icy snow.

Thanks to one and all for the notes. I appreciate them all.

was 15th in the 65-69 age group (out of 65 runners in the group) which I am now in. I will run Boston on April 15th 2013 when I will be 70.
Congratulations, I hope I'm still walking by then

My sister was amused that the only woman she knew who wanted to officially get older was a runner who could thus qualify for an easier class

Congratulations, I hope I'm still walking by then

My sister was amused that the only woman she knew who wanted to officially get older was a runner who could thus qualify for an easier class
It's my experience, that although I've heard any number of runners say that, it's almost always harder, not easier, the older you get. Or put another way, almost everyone gets slower at a greater rate than allowed for by the Boston Marathons qualification times.

There was however a change in the rules around 2003 that made it easier for 50+ runners and that undoubtedly did help me. I probably could never had made it by the pre-2003 rules, although I made it 4 times before that change.

Lots more things break etc. etc. Taking a multi-year marathon hiatus as I did, while still running shorter distances, probably helped me a lot in my "comeback". If I had started all over, without the constant (but shorter) running, I probably could not have stood the required training.

It's not very different from hiking, yes?