Thoughts on the Sewards

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADK Rick

Reaction score
Avon Connecticut Avatar: #46! Haystack summit
OK, you guys did such a nice job giving advice for my recent Saddleback/Basin loop that I think I will go to the well again.

In order to finish my 46 this year, I am shooting for the Sewards early this week (check out that weather forecast :) ) and then Haystack to finish next week (friday 10/14), the three Ws permitting (that would be work, wife, and weather).

I need to be at work a bit on monday. So this is the itinerary I propose. Leave CT early tues arrive Ward Brook trailhead mid morning. Hike in, climb Seymour, camp at one of the leantos. Weds get up early and do the Sewards the traditional over and back route and then hike out. I expect this to take about 12 hours in all. I really cant stay 2 nights. Plus the weather is supposed to deteriorate beginning weds night.

I am going in ultra lite so I could exit via Calkins Brook....will this save any time/effort?

Plan B would be to go up monday night late and camp on the Corey's road, then do the long hike tuesday (maybe up via Calkins and then down the north side of Seward to camp?) then Seymour weds and out fairly early. Downside is I have to be away for 2 nights and I am afraid of not being able to "answer the bell" on weds morning after the long trek on tuesday. I was plenty sore saturday morning after my 16+ mile trek friday and was in no shape for more climbing.

Any thoughts welcome! That is the thing that makes this site great!

ADK Rick

Depending on what you will be carrying in your pack, I would go with the calkins brook exit. If your pack is going to be 40 pounds, I would leave it and do the traditional seward out and back. In day one and do seymour is a good idea. The out and back for S-D-E is a big day. Seward has beat me down more times than I care to remember.

ADK Rick,
My buddy and his better half called me from the top of Emmons several hours ago. Bad Cell phone reception so we shouted at each other for 20 seconds, but I can ask him for a quick trail update tomorrow and pass to along to you.

Looks like I'm going for it. Should be quite an aggressive trip what with the short days and all. Leave coreys around noon tomorrow (tues) and back to the car by nightfall weds. Seymour tues and the rest weds, exit via Calkins Brook...going in extra light...just the usual plus a sleeping bag and pad. It all fits (barely) in my Kelty Redwing which should be much better for 'shwacking than my old Jansport D3 external frame. Wish me luck, and if anyone wants to join me give me a holler.

ADK Rick