"Three 46ers, two blondes & a funeral"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mer

Reaction score
Congrats to MAVS00, ADKatie & family, as well as all who summitted their 46th Labor Day weekend!! When on Sawteeth's summit, I turned toward Whiteface Mt. and stated "congratulations!"

I decided to lead my final HP summit as an ADK-Onondaga outing. Several people on the hike had climbed my 1st HP-Marcy with me back on 9/9/2000, including the leaders. One of the leaders is ~73 yo. He is an inspiration!! We had 15 people total...10 traveled the Weld Trail round trip. PD, Cephas, me (all of whom became 46ers on Sawteeth) and two friends hiked the loop...up Scenic Trail and down Weld. It was a very foggy day (9/5) with a soft mist. The lookouts were still somewhat impressive. I'll definitely have to return on a clear day.

The WT group waited about an hour for us to summit. And when we did we celebrated... And then celebrated some more as Ryan had turned a year older...his 27th b'day :) A few days before he stated that he wanted a couple of blondes for his b'day and that is what he got. My friend Anne & I brought along our blonde wigs and sang Happy Birthday like Marilyn Monroe would have.

Between celebrations we were in attendence of a quiet memorial/funeral service as a family respected their spouse's/father's love and scattered his ashes off Sawteeth's summit. Very spiritual.

Back to the 46er celebration...I gave a short talk about each person who played a part in my hiking life such as:

Anne who carried on conversations in broeg after downing her Mt Dew while we dragged our tired bodies back to our car;

Hal who started it (my family calls it an obsession) all for me on top of Marcy;

Cephas' great humor...Pennsylvania definition for Dutch Oven is something about fluffing your blankets after flatus.

Mike...the human compass and trail bagpipe (he was not able to attend 9/5 so we played a tribute on our Kazoos); and

My long-term hiking friend, Paul D who tolerated my idiosyncrasies 'til the very end. During one of the hottest summers (8/2002), PD did not complain (hardly at all) as I shut all the windows at Grace camp when I thought I heard a bear on the porch.

We stayed at a motel in Upper Jay which is owned by this wonderful woman, Marlene who lost her counterpart this past summer. He will be missed. She offered us assistance in having one of the best BBQ's that evening.

On Monday I topped off the weekend by flying over the HP's, videotaping it all. The clouds were low, the summits high touching blue sky. One could see people on Marcy. Sawteeth still covered with the puffy white stuff had two small openings on the LA Lake side.

Although it was foggy on the summit of Sawteeth on 9/5, I saw much more than one could imagine. It was a great day! :)

Hi mer,

I read your trip report with interest, given that I finished my 46 on Sawteeth only 6 days later (9/11/04). Congratulations!! How wonderful to have people with you who had hiked with you on your #1 HP. Sounds like you had a very festive and fun summit celebration.

Definitely return sometime on a clear day, the views were spectacular.

CM

Congratulations on your 46th Crazymama! Did you ascend or descend Scenic trail?

Also, I love your view from Nippletop. I have to revisit that one too as it was around Hurricane Isabelle and we experienced high winds...nothing was to be seen.