Three days in the Northern Presidentials (Part 1)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
26-28 May 2012

The pack felt heavier than usual with the addition of a tent, stove, fuel, pan, and other backpacking gear not often pulling on my shoulders. It felt good though, comforting in its weight, balanced. Besides, we weren’t going far. We were leaving Appalachia on the Valley Way about 6:30 Saturday morning bound for the Valley Way Campsite. It was a beautiful morning to begin a trip my friend K had looked forward to for over a year. She had wanted to be on a 5,000 foot mountain for sunrise…or thereabouts. I was happy to be her companion and, as I found out later, a bit of a Sherpa.

After arriving at camp, we set up the tent, bear-bagged the food, repacked for the day, and headed up toward the summits. A quick right on the Upper Bruin brought us quickly to the Air Line at the most dramatic part of the Durand Ridge. I never tire of the view into King Ravine. We followed the ridge up past the Chemin des Dames and the dramatic end of the King Ravine Trail.

King Ravine 2.jpg
King Ravine 3.jpg

We continued on the Air Line over jumbled, uneven boulders to the summit of Mount Adams. We picked a good spot for a break out of the relatively mild, but gusty wind. The warm sun felt rejuvenating when the breeze was down. The views were fantastic this day with clear summits and blue ridges overlapped in the distance.

Great Gulf.jpg
Star Lake from Adams.jpg

After a nice break, it was down the Star Lake Trail for some time at Star Lake. This is simply a magical place with red stained rocks popping out of a small glacial tarn. An enormous white quartz outcropping sits above the lake, and other similar quartz “stars” adorn the walls of Madison and Adams surrounding the col. It has been a favorite place of mine for many years.

Star Lake and Madison 2.jpg

Continued...

Last edited:
Hey Scott. We met you on Cabot a few weeks back. My friend Cathie and I had just summited and you came up by way of the Horn IIRC.

Thanks for this tr and the pics. We got turned back on Monroe a few months ago and the picture of Star Lake from Mt. Adams shows the trail up Monroe and confirms that the decision we made was definitely the right one. We suspected the prolonged exposure along that ridge would be a foolhardy move in 70+ mph gusts and that pic confirms that w/o a doubt.

Good to read of your adventure. We plan that route for our 48 finale some time this summer.

~ Kathy

Hey Scott. We met you on Cabot a few weeks back. My friend Cathie and I had just summited and you came up by way of the Horn IIRC.

Thanks for this tr and the pics. We got turned back on Monroe a few months ago and the picture of Star Lake from Mt. Adams shows the trail up Monroe and confirms that the decision we made was definitely the right one. We suspected the prolonged exposure along that ridge would be a foolhardy move in 70+ mph gusts and that pic confirms that w/o a doubt.

Good to read of your adventure. We plan that route for our 48 finale some time this summer.

~ Kathy

Hey Kathy. Good to hear from you. Yes I had come up Cabot from the Horn side. That was a beautiful day as I recall.

Good call if you opted to stay below treeline in 70 mph! That would be tough for even short distances. :eek:

BTW, did you mean "Madison" in your post instead of "Monroe"? The trail up the mountain behind Star Lake (looking from the Mount Adams side) is the Osgood Trail from Madison Hut over Madison's summit. Either way, neither one is a great place to be in hurricane force winds!

Hope to run into on the trails! Enjoy the rest of your 48 hikes (and the others too).

BTW, did you mean "Madison" in your post instead of "Monroe"? The trail up the mountain behind Star Lake (looking from the Mount Adams side) is the Osgood Trail from Madison Hut over Madison's summit.

Scott, yes, I meant Madison. Oops. I'm a little loopy tonight, taking pain meds for a newly torn rotator cuff. Sux. :mad: May put a damper on our finish plans...but the mtns have been there for years and I suspect will be there for years to come so if our plans don't come to fruition this summer it gives me something to look forward to next summer. :)

Scott, yes, I meant Madison. Oops. I'm a little loopy tonight, taking pain meds for a newly torn rotator cuff. Sux. :mad: May put a damper on our finish plans...but the mtns have been there for years and I suspect will be there for years to come so if our plans don't come to fruition this summer it gives me something to look forward to next summer. :)

I figured - I often make the same mistake in conversation, even when not on pain meds!

I hope that rotator cuff heals soon!

Great report Scott! 30 miles and 13K of ele in the Northern Presi's- great training for your Presi Traverse coming up! I'd like to do one of those someday.....it's on the bucket list. I hope to hit the Six Husbands trail in the next few weeks. Looks like a blast. Great pics!

Petch

Great report Scott! 30 miles and 13K of ele in the Northern Presi's- great training for your Presi Traverse coming up! I'd like to do one of those someday.....it's on the bucket list. I hope to hit the Six Husbands trail in the next few weeks. Looks like a blast. Great pics!

Petch

Thanks Petch! It felt like good training, especially the Buttress Trail; the constant uneven boulder "surface" is quite a leg burner.

Enjoy the SHT when you do it - it was awesome...another I had wanted to do for a long time! PIck a dry day :eek:

Nice TR! Jefferson's Knees look rather sharp from that angle! I haven't spent much time down in the Great Gulf, I think I need to plan on getting there more often. Great pictures.

Great report and pics! What a great idea hanging around and exploring instead of up and down in a day.... Although we'll be doing the opposite on the traverse;). Sounds like you've gotten in quite a bit of prep...

Nice TR! Jefferson's Knees look rather sharp from that angle! I haven't spent much time down in the Great Gulf, I think I need to plan on getting there more often. Great pictures.

Thanks Jacob - Jefferson's got some knobby knees for sure. I'm looking forward to more time in the Great Gulf myself.

Great report and pics! What a great idea hanging around and exploring instead of up and down in a day.... Although we'll be doing the opposite on the traverse;). Sounds like you've gotten in quite a bit of prep...

Thanks Pam. I have the best time on hikes when I can wake up high in the mountains and when I have time to linger around a bit. Most of my hikes are out and backs and yes, our PTs will seem very different than this!

I've gotten in some prep for about 5 weeks now, maybe every other day on average - mostly on my yoga mat or crab walking around my house with a leg band on (that's a lot harder than it sounds i discovered) but it was nice to get on some rocks for a few days in a row again as well.

Unfortunately I took a lot of liberty this past week with my rest time! :eek: