Ticks are back in force

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If anyone is interested, Drugstore.com has Repel (permethrin) for $5.59 per 6oz can. You get free S&H if you are a new customer and your order is $25 or more. Click HERE for link.

Last edited:
Cabela carries a civilian version of the "wash in" permetherin treatment, possibly made by Sawyer (?) .
REI also carries it: http://www.rei.com/product/734901

BTW, there are a number of older threads on the topic which some may also find worth reading. Just search on "permetherin" to find them.

Doug

Last edited:
I was reading somewhere that brushy areas are especially big time tick habitat. With all the ice storm damage, with downed trees, branches and twigs, I would think that could create even more suitable habitat for the ticks this year. Just a guess though...

grouseking

Ticks are out in force!

Ticks are out in force in Northern MA. Came back from running the dog in the local conservation area. She was covered with ticks. I on the other hand only had 3 on my legs and one with its head in the back of my hand.

I came down with Lyme disease two years ago. Can't say when the tick got me, but the big red circle on my shoulderblade made the diagnosis easy. I was trying to keep up with kids while counseling at a summer camp, and the fatigue and fever got me by each evening.
Ticks and all the other nuisances out there are just part of it, and part of life, and no fear of them will slow down my hiking.

Anybody have any articles on the growth of ticks in this area? Seems like the population is growing by 10 or 20% (or more) every year, based on the threads like these I've been reading over the past couple years.

I have lyme's right now. I got the tick bite in late Nov in CT. I was taking a patch measurement of invasive plants with a GPS. Ihad thick phragmites on one side and thick brush on the other. I thought the rash on my abdomen was a tinnea outbreak I had no other symptoms. When my knee pain, swelling and stifness came on I thought I hurt myself during a Wilderness First Aid course. Some of these symptoms can be confused with something else so I think it may be good advise for oudoor people to assume lyme's first. One could say I was a bit stupid (my wife certainly tells me so)

Lyme vaccine

Sadly, there was a Lyme vaccine for humans available awhile back, but it was "discontinued by the manufacturer, citing low demand". Guess they didn't survey the hikers...

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/lyme/default.htm

There is one for dogs, however, and "new dog-mom" paranoia prompted me to have Delilah vaccinated as a puppy. The more I read on this forum (and elsewhere), the more I'm convinced that the peace of mind justifies the cost.

We live in eastern Vermont and did find a fully-engorged tick on her a couple of weeks ago. Creepy crawlies indeed!

A friend has Lyme. He spends lots of time at construction sites, grassy and weedy. It was undetected and misdiagnosed, and it's a problem for him.

My wife and I do a lot of bushwhacking. We do a tick check after every trip. We each get tested every year for Lyme, even though we've had no symptoms.

Remarkably, neither of us has ever had a tick on us, even after whole days crawling through the woods. I think it makes a big difference if it's higher elevation spruce scrub or if it's weeds and grass. A fellow I know came back from a training exercise at Saratoga Battlefield (Revolutionary War historic site in NY, all weeds and grass) with over 40 ticks on him, but where I go in the High Peaks I've never had even one. I use DEET on my skin, but no higher level precautions like permethrin, or tucking pants into socks, or anything like that. And other pests (mosquitoes, black flies) love me. Just not ticks...

Tom

In answer to Raymonds question, a couple of years ago I had a tick buried in my left arm right near my bicep. No big deal at first, ticks are like squirrels around here, they are everywhere and anyone who spends time outside of their yard gets bit. But a few days later the bite area got more swollen and puffier than usual and I ended up with a "Popeye" arm. My bicep about tripled in size and the infection spread to my lower arm and shoulder as well. I can't remember what the diagnosis was, but my doc put me on some strong antibiotics for a few weeks. Even after my arm felt pretty funky for a while. I am 50, grew up in this area and do not remember seeing many ticks as a child. Not till about 25 years ago, and every year it seems to get worse. Could be my imagination, but another friend made the same comment to me a few weeks ago when she was complaining about the tick she pulled from her stomach.

An alternative way to fight the tick invasion......:rolleyes:

My grandfather in southern Maine bought a half-dozen Guinea Hens a few years ago to eat all the ticks in his yard. It works unbelievable well, and they are pretty entertaining to watch. He sees maybe 1 or 2 ticks a year instead of dozens and dozens like he used to.

Here's an article about it for those interested:
http://wbztv.com/health/guinea.hens.guinea.2.748337.html

Tick Talk Tonight

I posted this information earlier on Events, but should have added it here. I work at UNH Manchester and this is a program being presented to the public tonight on Lyme Disease. There will be a follow up film screening "Under Our Skin" the following week, April 16, also at UNHM.

Here are the seminar/film details:

WHEN: Thursday’s, April 9th and 16th at 6:00 PM

WHERE: UNH Manchester, 400 Commercial Street, Manchester, NH, Third floor auditorium

WHAT: UNH Manchester invites you attend a lecture and film series to educate yourself about Lyme disease and learn about the controversy that is quietly brewing in the medical community.

Each year hundreds of New Hampshire residents are diagnosed with Lyme disease. According to a report by the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services, the number of reported cases of Lyme disease in NH grew by nearly 30% between 2002 and 2007. The CDC reports that typical symptoms include fever, headache, fatigue, and a characteristic skin rash called erythema migrans, commonly referred to as the bull’s-eye rash. If left untreated, infection can spread to joints, the heart, and the nervous system.

There is a great deal of controversy around the diagnosis and treatment of Lyme disease. Some in the medical community say the disease can be treated with a few weeks of antibiotics; other medical professionals believe treatment requires a strict regimen of various antibiotics and supplements for sometimes multiple years. The disease has been referred to as an epidemic larger than AIDS.

Both programs are free and open to the public. Registration is not required. Free parking is available after 5:30 in the Arm’s Lot located behind UNH Manchester.

Lecture: Debunking the Myths Surrounding Lyme Disease (April 9 at 6 PM). A great deal of myth and misunderstanding surrounds Lyme disease, both within and outside the medical community. According to Mr. David Hunter, a long-time Lyme disease advocate, many people are misdiagnosed with other chronic ailments such as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Lupus and Multiple Sclerosis because of the lack of understanding regarding the far-ranging nature of Lyme symptoms and the inaccuracy of the testing. Learn more about the many aspects of Lyme disease, from prevention to diagnosis to treatment protocols. Presented by David Hunter, Lyme activist and educator.

Film Screening: UNDER OUR SKIN, 2008 (April 16 at 6 PM)
A new documentary film, UNDER OUR SKIN, offers a frightening expose about how the medical system is failing to address one of the most serious epidemics of our times. Each year thousands go undiagnosed or misdiagnosed, told that their symptoms are "all in their head." The film follows the stories of patients and physicians as they battle for their lives and livelihoods, and brings into focus a haunting picture of our health care system and its inability to cope with a silent terror under our skin. David Hunter will facilitate questions and answers following the film screening. The film is 109 minutes in length.

WHY: UNH Manchester is offering these programs as an opportunity for a community dialogue about an epidemic that will quite likely affect someone we each know.

Not gloating, just sayin', still OK up here (Franconia) as of yesterday afternoon's brush-whack. It's been cold at night. But they'll be out any minute now. I'm holding off until that last minute on dosing the dogs with insecticide, and my clothing with Permethrin, but it's ready and waiting. That's one small, possibly futile, way to try to contain the invasion further north. I was in Portsmouth the other day, heard the ticks had been out for two weeks, and didn't let the dogs run in the local dog park on Prescott I. They gave me that why-did-we-have-to-come-to-the big-city-anyway look. If you have a dog, you know it.

I would love to go to that seminar tonight at UNH but I do not get out of work till 5:30 and Manchester is 75 minutes away.

This morning after my shower I found a deer nymph about 1/2 the size of a match head burrowed into my navel. He was so small I had trouble getting him out with tweezers. I now have a very itchy and swollen lump in my navel; yuck! No doubt this one is left over from the weekend and even though I am very careful about checking myself his hiding place was good enough that he got away. One month into the season and I already had two attached. Can't wait for winter again.

An alternative way to fight the tick invasion......:rolleyes:

My grandfather in southern Maine bought a half-dozen Guinea Hens a few years ago to eat all the ticks in his yard. It works unbelievable well, and they are pretty entertaining to watch. He sees maybe 1 or 2 ticks a year instead of dozens and dozens like he used to.

Here's an article about it for those interested:
http://wbztv.com/health/guinea.hens.guinea.2.748337.html

I wonder if we could get away with letting a bunch of them lose in the Fells....

This morning after my shower I found a deer nymph about 1/2 the size of a match head burrowed into my navel. He was so small I had trouble getting him out with tweezers. I now have a very itchy and swollen lump in my navel; yuck! No doubt this one is left over from the weekend and even though I am very careful about checking myself his hiding place was good enough that he got away. One month into the season and I already had two attached. Can't wait for winter again.

I had three removed last year and the doctor gave me antibotics as a precaution. The areas were very itchy for awhile but went away. Dr said they don't fool around, they automatically prescribe a powerful dose of antibotics for anybody with tick bites now.