Tobit's First Winter Hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobit

Reaction score
Welp, it ending up being much shorter than I wanted but I actually got out today and hiked on my new snowshoes. I've never really hiked in winter before and this was my first time ever on snowshoes. For todays hike, I wanted to hike something I had done before so I returned to the Ossipee Mountains.

I arrived at the Castle in the Clouds hiker parking lot on Route 171 around 8:15 this morning and made my way up the Shannon Brook trail. I was always under the assumption that hiking on snowmobile paths would be fun and easy but I was quite disappointed with the icy, extremely hard packed, dirty mess I was walking on. That pic was taken near the junction of the Bald Knob Cuttoff looking back down the Shannon Brook Trail towards Route 171 and was actually one of the better spots. The Shannon Brook was flowing nicely and I made good time to the Bald Knob Cutoff trail where I found the sign to be missing.

I put on my new snowshoes before starting on the Bald Knob Cutoff. I continued on my way and found walking with them to be quite easy. However, the snow was pretty well packed with a crusty layer on top and it was a very loud experience as I crunched through the forest. I was hoping to experience some much looser, and quieter, snow. I proceeded on the Bald Knob Cutoff for about 1/2 a mile before deciding that was far enough. I'm not sure why I decided to stop, the walking was fairly easy and I wasn't really feeling tired nor cold. It just seemed like the thing to do at the time. I could have definitely continued on to the Bald Knob summit area but didn't want to push myself too hard I guess.

Unfortunately, the descent back to the Shannon Brook Trail wasn't as graceful of a walk in the shoes. As I descended I kept wanting to lean back but I soon learned that actually putting my weight forward slightly, and trusting the traction of the shoes, was a lot more comfortable. I made it back to the Shannon Brook Trail without incident. I still need to work on my down hill technique but overall I was pleased with how easy I adapted to the snowshoes. I thought it was going to be a steep learning curve.

Although I was able to bare boot up the Shannon Brook Trail, there was no way I was going to bare boot back down. It was just way too icy and, as the day was warming up, water was starting to pool on the ice making it even slicker in spots. So, I dug out my microspikes and made my way back down to the parking area. I hadn't seen anyone all morning but, as I arrived at the parking area, another hiker had pulled in and was gearing up.

All and all, I had fun and think I will really enjoy this winter hiking as I continue to get in shape and gain more experience. I must say, it was rather pleasant to not have to walk on rocks or roots. Unless plans change, I am heading back out on Monday with Bob McCue and his wife to get some more practice time on the snowshoes.

Way to go Tobit. Welcome to the winter hiking crowd. I think you'll enjoy it. Snow shoes are part of the tools of the trade and can be a real pain at times but a real friend indeed when in need.

Not exactly ideal trail conditions for a first day on snowshoes, but it's a start!

I agree...if you liked this with stinky trail conditions...it is so much better when the conditions are great!

My first snow shoe hike was up Mt. Blue...unbroken trail...about 2 - 3 feet of snow! It took us 4 hrs to get 1.5 miles to the summit. This was after a 2 hr hike on the multipurpose road...that was broken.

The views were WELL WORTH the effort. It was rediculous.

All and all, I had fun and think I will really enjoy this winter hiking . . . it was rather pleasant to not have to walk on rocks or roots. Unless plans change, I am heading back out on Monday . . .
Hey Tobit . . . you have a positive attitude and that’s a huge PLUS. Also, on the positive side, it was Friday the 13th after all . . . and even despite that, you still had a fun day, and no bad luck!

Poles???

As I descended I kept wanting to lean back but I soon learned that actually putting my weight forward slightly, and trusting the traction of the shoes, was a lot more comfortable.

If you weren't using poles, give them a try. I find poles more helpful in winter than in summer. If you have a good trail with good snow in winter, you can really fly going downhill. It does take a little practice though.

Enjoy!

If you weren't using poles, give them a try.
Yup, I've been using poles since I returned to hiking last year. Not only do they help me with the hike but they also support my shelter when I camp. :D

Hi Tobit, This is Trail Bandit, using someone else's computer. Mary and I went to the Ossipees today. I wish I had known you were around. We went up the Mt. Roberts trail,(snow shoes not required, and not icy). Then we headed over toward Faraway and immediately needed the snowshoes. I haven't used snow shoes in 40 years. I had to stop in Concord to buy a pair on the way up. When we reached the Faraway Overlook (Position agreed on by all), we headed down over the bank and met the Faraway Mtn Trail down toward the third switchback. This shortcut saves a mile or so of carriage road travel. A little distance down that trail, we headed down the dotted trails, with no name, and went directly to the Castle Spring, from which the road was plowed back to the Lee Cemetery Parking. For most of the hikes in the Castle area, it is more pleasant to park up there, rather than down on 171. Mary said that my new MSR snowshoes worked a lot better than her older TUBBS on steeper down hill sections. Not bad for an old guy that hasn't been on snowshoes in 40 years.