Tom and Field.3-4-13.via avalon,az and willey range trails.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Oak

Reaction score
trail conditions;Avalon up to junction with a-z smooth like butter.perfect snowshoe track.slight drifting at start of a-z.snow increased at top of trail closer to tom spur.this was a given with snow falling all day.Willey range trail did have some drifting towards field summit.Most likely by tomorrow trail might be tougher to follow to summit.Avalon back to crawford straight forward.slight drift up top.
special equipment;snowshoes station to station.lots of snow to get nice traction all day.some face gear up top.Cold but not that bad,spring is on the way :(
comments;saw nine others,including five very pleasant folk from Quebec.Met nice old bro about half a mile from crawford who had leather work gloves on[the blue and white kind].He got to Avalon and turned around.He asked if I had a map to get to Tom.I told him yes.Saw a couple of barebooters,but trail track was so nice they were not abusing the trails too bad.No willey today,was not planned and with start at 10,it seemed the smart decision.The track to Willey was discernible from Field,but seemed kind of lonely with the snow falling heavy to moderately and the wind increasing on the ridge.Willey will be there another day.Today was the reason I winter hike,conditions were pristine with every tree covered to the hilt with snow.The snow just fell semi hard the whole hike.Every hiker I saw was digging it.I said to the Quebec people "tre bien" and magnifique"
Nice to get up north in a winter marred by too much work and not enough hiking.Yesterday I drove up north to hike and had car issues resulting in turning back and hiking today instead.Lots of snow in Franconia and Crawford notch,Wow!
some pics... https://picasaweb.google.com/sasha.learnard/TomAndField3413

Last edited: