Top 50 Northeast Peaks by "Reduced Spire Measure"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoySwkr

Reaction score
Mountains can be ranked by their summit elevation, or by their "Prominence" (rise above base), but neither is a good measure of their steepness. Hence some mountain theorists have invented "spire measure" and now "reduced spire measure" by which tall pointy peaks get the highest values. Here is one tentative list of the Top 50 peaks in the Northeast US (ME, NH, VT, MA and Adirondacks) by reduced spire measure. Those familiar with the Catskills, Schwangunks, etc. might send the author some suggestions.
http://www.math.ufl.edu/~metzler/Frame/Outdoor/Data/Imp/ne_us_50.html

Notes on spire measure http://www.math.ufl.edu/~metzler/Frame/Outdoor/Data/Imp/expl.html

I have climbed about 47 of these and 770-climbers have at least 44.

oh boy.....

so i will ask the question.... is there a patch after completion? :rolleyes: :D :confused: :eek: :) ;) :p
here we go again!!! go get'em roy!!!!! :D

You know, math-geekiness aside, there might be something to this. I've only climbed about 7 or 8 peaks on that list, all in the ADKs, but it does include some of my favorite peaks for views. In addition to obvious ones like Algonquin, Whiteface, Dix, it includes Santanoni and Colvin, which I think offer some of the best views in the High Peaks. If nothing else, this list could serve as a reference that sort of says "If you like that peak, maybe you'd also like these."

I'm fairly familiar with the Shawangunks and the Catskills (those parts of NY make distinct by the authors "lack of interest" :D ), but I can't think of anything off the top of my head that would qualify. Not a lot of tall, pointy stuff in the Gunks or Cats. Plenty of places in the Gunks where you can look straight down a cliff, but they're just not that tall.

Matt

North Face of Shuksan

Metzler uses as his lead example of spire measure, the north face of Shuksan. I can attest to that view, it is totally awe inspiring, the drop to the valley is pretty much straight down at least 2,500 feet. Fantastic!

Wow, check out the 50 Top US..

There are like 7 out of the top 10 in the US in Wrangell St Elias.. Having been there this summer, I can assure you the number of valleys carved out by glaciers is tremendous and there are a lot of places overlooking deep valleys from 6-8k feet up. Damm spectacular!!!

Now I really want to do some climbing there....

As far as the catskills, being an eroded plateau, you'll notice not that much prominence, or SM in any of the *summits* since many summits are rounded and also below treeline. However, certain viewpoints on the summit might factor a little, but not much compared to more of the pointy peaks in the Whites or the ADKs. In fact, I think the 'gunks would almost have more SM value due to the cliff and rock structure of the gunks as compared to the catskills, the gunks just are lower in elevation, however it sounds like the values for SM would be weighted by the surrounding terratory.

Jay

Good work Roy

One question I had though, was about Mount Blue in Maine. I would think the very nearby Tumbledown would have a higher value. I can't recall anything about Blue that I'd call particularly steep. Tumbledown, OTOH, has some magnificent cliffs.

SteveHiker said:
I just love how my favorite mountain, Ascutney, despite being low in elevation, keeps showing up with the big boys on all these more obscure lists.

You are not alone in Ascutney being your favorite. It has been mine forever, despite breaking my leg skiing it. Nice to see it getting respect.

Papa Bear said:
Good work Roy

I can't recall anything about Blue that I'd call particularly steep. Tumbledown, OTOH, has some magnificent cliffs.

Actually, the climb up Blue from the South Arm road is quite steep for the first mile or so.

cb

ChrisB said:
Actually, the climb up Blue from the South Arm road is quite steep for the first mile or so.

cb
Chris

That's the wrong Blue. You're thinking of "Old Blue" on the AT near Elephant. The Mount Blue on the list is about 5 miles from Weld in Mount Blue State Parrk. Here's a map: Mount Blue Map

I must admit there is a steep area shown on this map to the south of the peak which wasn't too evident when I climbed it last July.

This makes sense to me. It always defied logic that Shuksan or the Grand Teton's prominence (defined as drop-to-next-highest-peak's-saddle) was relatively low, despite the huge drop-to-valley that both present.

Papa Bear said:
Good work Roy

One question I had though, was about Mount Blue in Maine. I would think the very nearby Tumbledown would have a higher value. I can't recall anything about Blue that I'd call particularly steep. Tumbledown, OTOH, has some magnificent cliffs.
Note that I did not make this list, just gave a link to it, and as I am not a professor of mathematics I don't pretend to fully understand the theory involved. And without the programs and digital data I can't check the list for omissions. Both the TW 72 and Y-List are missing peaks and I suspect that this first-draft list will also be found to be missing some.

As for Tumbledown Weld, it does have impressive cliffs on one side but it has a ridge to higher peaks in another so I suspect it loses in that regard. You could send him the coordinates and ask what value they get.

Just some examples of how long ridges fare poorly: Little Spencer has a higher value than Big Spencer, and Saddleback 2998 has a higher value than Saddleback 4025.

from the lister, who is not a member of this forum

Greetings from David Metzler, the author of the list under discussion,
and one of the co-creators of spire measure.
I thought I would respond to some of the points raised, all of which were quite cogent.

To Raymond's post re trees and views: A good question. Spire measure is _defined_ purely in terms of the topography, so it does not measure any actual view. Of course for tree-covered peaks the actual view from the top is terrible. It is in thinking about the _intuitive_ understanding of spire measure that it is useful to imagine the impressiveness of the view from the top. For that purpose, simply imagine the trees aren't there. Some NE tree-covered summits would in fact acquire pretty good views if you did that. (I am not advocating actually cutting the trees, however!)

Another way to get intuition about what spire measure is about is to think of the view _of_ the peak from all directions (the "tourists' viewpoint"). Roughly, a peak that looks more impressive (in terms of local relief and steepness) from all directions will get a higher spire measure. For this viewpoint, there is no need to imagine removing the trees.
-----
To mcorsar: indeed I think a good way to think of this list is simply "if you like that peak, maybe you'll also like these." That's how I tend to use these lists personally. And re: the Gunks, I didn't mean to disrespect them (I loved the one trip I managed to do out there), but, as you say, I'm not sure if they would manage good spire numbers, because of the lack of total relief and their non-pointiness. (They have the steepness, of course.) Right now I am more engaged in calculating peaks in the Himalayas; the Cats and Gunks may have to wait.
-----
Regarding Mt. Blue vs. Tumbledown Mtn. (both near Weld): Thanks for the tip. I should check Tumbledown specifically; I am not sure right off whether it should be on the list or not. As Roy points out, this is not a thorougly checked list. In particular, peaks like Tumbledown where the local HP is not near the cliff tend to get missed by my particular scanning technique. I can go back and calculate the spire measure for the points on Tumbledown nearer the cliff face; they might pick up enough to get on the list. However it's not a sure thing, since, as Roy also points out, Tumbledown is not particularly pointy (spire-like); in some directions, the drops are not dramatic.
-----
Any further questions, comments etc. are most welcome, to metzler (at) aa (dot) edu.

David Metzler