Touching the Void-PBS

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
While watching part 2 of the Nova special on the origins of the universe, PBS was running a preview for some shows in November. It appears that for those of you who might of missed "Touching the Void" about Simon Yates and Joe Simpson or haven't read the book, it is coming to PBS in November:

TtV link

this link states it for Nov 21, but check your local PBS station.

Jay

That was a GREAT movie.

The DVD version just arrived in our mailbox from Netflix yesterday. Can't wait to see it again!

hmmm, I wonder if there are any special features or extra footage on the DVD version....

ADKatie, I have the DVD, the only extra thing that was on the DVD was a documentary on the filming of the movie and video of Joe and Simon returning to Ciula Grande (sp?) when the producers were filming it. It was like 40 minutes or so and was interesting. I bet PBS might be airing other info about the two but not sure if it would be the same that is on the DVD.

Jay

just when you buy the DVD,
PBS puts it out on TV!!

I liked the extra feature of the DVD though -- it seemed like you could see much more emotion in both of them when they return to the site, which really added something to the whole story.

-Blue

It was a wonderful movie, one of the best I have seen in a long while. Also, on the DVD there were a couple of extra features that were pretty interesting. I must say though, dont show it to your parents and then expect to get to go hiking when its snowy out ever again :rolleyes:

Incredible Accounting!

I agree it was a VERY well done movie. Touched me to the core. They ran it at the Saratoga Film forum last month & a few local hikers who have done global climbing shared their personal experiences..
I agree with "Nonlegit"....do NOT let the folks see it. That would just mean MORE phone calls... "Yes, I'm home. Yes, I'm safe. Oh no need to worry Mom..." :)

I think I would rather show my folks this movie than say "Vertical Limit". I don't know if I could stay sane and watch that movie again. That would be agonizing!

I read the book Touching the Void a few years ago before the movie came out, but never got a chance to see it in the theaters though.

Jay

yeah, not much into the British music scene, but I had no idea who "Boney M" if that's how you spell his name was before this movie but I watched the credits on my DVD to figure out who that was.

Jay

Yeah, my wife had heard of Boney M before the movie, she was into music in the 80's though. I had never heard of it.

I usually start singing it out loud in our group when we realize we're not getting into camp before dark..... as usual.

S.

My music list for a hiking road trip HAS to include

Grateful dead, Hendrix, Led Zepplin, Marley, and of course...BOB DYLAN

i wish...nah either my friends pos s-10 pickup or my awesome 4runner, or maybe my 5.0 mustang:cool:

I havn't read the book yet, but most times books are better than movies. Although I don't think the book could have had the spectacular views of Peru.

Are there any other mountaineering movies worth watching besides the Hollywood fake stuff like Cliffhanger or that silly one where the guy flies off the mountain and grabs onto a cliff with his ice axe?

I saw the IMAX Everest movie and that was pretty good, any others worth checking out?

S.

Spaddock - the 'silly' one you refer to is Vertical Limit - which sucks as you pointed out. Into Thin Air was also pretty awful. I seem to remember the movie K2 not being too bad, but then again, I haven't seen it in a few years.

I think in general all of the Hollywood movies are awful while the documentaries and movies like that are much better.

Read Touching the Void, its a great book.

peace
Oysterhead

The Eiger Sanction (1973) still remains the best mountain film before the arrival of Touching the Void, in my opinion. The on-site filming on the Eiger North Face by Mike Hoover's crew was particularly outstanding, although one life was lost in the project. The scene with Clint Eastwood dangling from a rope awaiting a rescue just outside one of the railway windows on the Eiger's North Face was based on a real tragedy, when Tony Kurz' last words were "I'm finished" (not what you want to hear on a rescue mission, or on any climbing trip for that matter).

I saw a short film about the Eiger North Face at last years "Best of the Banff Film Festival" .

These guys climbed the North Face in total retro gear. Was pretty impressive.

S.

Yes, the recent retro climb and film of the Eiger North Face (ENF), IMO, were excellent. The climbers only compromise to modern gear was adding a nylon core to their hemp climbing rope, but they still doubted that it would hold much of a fall.

BTW, the ENF is now nearly devoid of ice, with the White Spider about completely melted away after the hot European summer of 2003. Most attempts on the ENF now occur only in the winter.