Tour du Mont Blanc Trip Report

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RollingRock

Reaction score
I completed the 105-mile, Tour du Mont Blanc trek this past September with a group of friends. I planned this trek myself and did not use any guides. We started on September 4, 2011 and finished on September 14, 2011.

The Tour du Mont Blanc [TMB] is one of the world's classic long treks. At its heart is the sprawling glaciers and majestic rock spires of Mont Blanc itself. At 15,771 feet, this is the highest peak in the Alps and the roof of Western Europe. More than a mere mountain, this massif hosts dozens of glaciers and hundreds of summits, and is surrounded by seven major valleys.

The TMB trek follows a circular route around Mont Blanc, winding for some 105 miles in and out of the valleys, linked by a succession of 10 or 11 high passes, gaining and loosing some 32,000 feet of altitude. We started and finished in Chamonix, the world capital of mountaineering. From there we made our way through charming Alpine valleys, past lakes and glaciers, and across the frontiers of France, Italy and Switzerland.

It's difficult to single out highlights of this route because it includes such variety. Some highlights including watching the sunset from the Col du Bonhomme Refuge, hiking into Italy over the Col du Seigne that included a tough 18 mile day with an estimated 5,500 elevation gain, a Mont Blanc sunset from the Refuge Bertone, sheer scenic grandeur when hiking from Refuge Bertone to Refuge Elena, hiking in Swiss Valleys, climbing to Fenetre Arpette with similar terrain as the northern Presidential Range, the day climbing up to Lac du Mont Blanc Refuge, spotting Ibex, and the sunrise from Lac du Mont Blanc on our last day. We had days where the views were perhaps unequalled in the Alps!

But there is much more to the route than spectacular mountain views. There is the rush of glacier melt streams with its milky gray color, the meadows of wildflowers, the tinkling of cowbells or the warm fellowship of our group having a convivial meal in a mountain refuge.

We had a ton of fun as you can tell by the slide show [link below]. It was a great ten days and we could not have done it with a better group of friends!

Click Here To View Slide Show>> [Press F11 for full effects]

Awesome! This trip has been high on my list for some time now!

Did anyone in your party speak French? And if not, how difficult was it to negotiate the trek unguided?

Thanks for sharing!

Awesome! This trip has been high on my list for some time now!

Did anyone in your party speak French? And if not, how difficult was it to negotiate the trek unguided?

Thanks for sharing!

This was probably my best vacation ever! And I've visited some real great places in the past!

I speak French quite well however most of the mountain refuges staff speak English. The same goes for the villages when eating out in restaurants, shopping, etc. I made reservations for the mountain refuges the night before however I highly recommend making reservations for Refugio Elizabetta in the US ahead of time [this is the most popular refuge and it was full when we went to RSVP].

Fantastic! I enjoyed the pictures - looks like you had a terrific time.

We did the TMB eight years ago for our honeymoon - what an awesome trek. :)

This was probably my best vacation ever! And I've visited some real great places in the past!

I speak French quite well however most of the mountain refuges staff speak English. The same goes for the villages when eating out in restaurants, shopping, etc. I made reservations for the mountain refuges the night before however I highly recommend making reservations for Refugio Elizabetta in the US ahead of time [this is the most popular refuge and it was full when we went to RSVP].

Thank you! I hope my husband and I can do this trek someday!

Nice! This is on my to-do list as well. Someday...

Did you find the trail/refugi at all crowded in September? August is supposedly nutso since that's when all the Europeans are on holiday.

Nice! This is on my to-do list as well. Someday...

Did you find the trail/refugi at all crowded in September? August is supposedly nutso since that's when all the Europeans are on holiday.

We chose September because we read the refuges would be less crowded. However, I think that going 'off-season' is catching on as we found the refuges to be quite busy. It does not help that they start closing around 9/15so there is really a short window for the 'off-season.' We found the trails themselves not to be crowded which made it quite nice. :)

I went to Chamonix as a teen and was really intimidated on that gondola up Mt. Blanc. What an impressive mountain! Regardless of that previous fear, your pictures make me want to take up mountaineering. What a gorgeous place! Seems like you all had a great time. The refuges are so civilized! Thanks for posting.

Great; slide show and music. Did you put the trip together on your own or go with a service and are their places to go in order to plan a trek like this.

Thanks very much for sharing.

What a breathtaking and exciting trip! Your photos are beautiful. I really like the Mont Blanc sunset. You need to frame some enlargements of a few of these. Great memories for sure.

Great; slide show and music. Did you put the trip together on your own or go with a service and are their places to go in order to plan a trek like this.

Thanks very much for sharing.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I put the trip together on my own from research on the internet and purchasing the Cicerone Guide [by Kev Reynolds] called Tour of Mont Blanc. It's quite doable on your own. The refuges cost us about $60US a night's stay [bunk rooms but we were able to get private room two nights] that included hot showers, dinner and breakfast. For ten days that's only $600 [not including the wine we drank at night :)]. We stayed in Chamonix three nights so that bumped up the cost of the overall trip. I saw the pricing on REI at almost $3,000 and they didn't even do the entire route!

Last edited:
I put the trip together on my own from research on the internet and purchasing the Cicerone Guide [by Kev Reynolds] called Tour of Mont Blanc.
Three comments about the book:
  1. Like all books by Ken Reynolds it is very well done.
  2. Like most, if not all, Cicerone books it is available as an ebook, readable on an iPad (amongst others) so very portable.
  3. It is currently out of print, but since it is one of their best sellers I assume that a new edition will be out before summer.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I put the trip together on my own from research on the internet and purchasing the Cicerone Guide [by Kev Reynolds] called Tour of Mont Blanc. It's quite doable on your own. The refuges cost us about $60US a night's stay [bunk rooms but we were able to get private room two nights] that included hot showers, dinner and breakfast. For ten days that's only $600 [not including the wine we drank at night :)]. We stayed in Chamonix three nights so that bumped up the cost of the overall trip. I saw the pricing on REI at almost $3,000 and they didn't even do the entire route!

Sweet! Thanks so much for sharing this info!

amazing slide show rolling rock !! I can see how that could be the best vacation you ever had the views and weather looked really good olny saw pack covers in a couple photos

Great pics! :D:D
loved that area......Chamonix is awesome. :D:D

I want to go back again and do some more trekking around the area!!

Thank you for the very nice slide show. :) Quels beaux souvenirs!

Your trip remind me our trip 2 years ago. We went almost the same places and we stopped at several of the hut you stop. Annie and I love that Tour du Mont Blanc. Next time we go in that area, we will do Chamonix to the Matterhorn or Tour of the Matterhorn.