TR: 3-5-06, Skiing COP Snow

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cushetunk

Reaction score
TR: 3-5-06, Skiing Chain of Ponds Snow

Chain of Ponds Snow Mountain wins again. This was the second time I was rebuffed by this peak.

The first time, a friend and I tried to go mid-September. Stopping to ask directions on the dirt road, we were politely informed that it was opening day of Penobscot moose hunting season, and perhaps not the best day to climb the mountain.

But I'm ahead of myself. I never intended to climb this peak today. Coburn Mountain was my goal, at least until 10:00 pm the night before. That's when a quick google search turned up the Forks Area Sled Report, which mentioned Coburn's summit as a prime snowmobile destination this weekend.

Anyone out there know if this is a frequent problem for winter Coburn trips? I don't mind sharing trails with sleds, but I like to have substantial quiet time in between emergency dives off to the side of the trail.

So I drove up past Eustis, looking for lots of snow and few sleds. (There was very little snow along the road until past Eustis.) I had what I presume was a MTNRUNR vehicle sighting as I drove route 27: Hi MTNRUNR! Hope you had good hiking.

Arriving at the access road, I was surprised to find not only deep snow (powder on top of a substantial base), but also not a single sled track! Snow and solitude, indeed, as I began breaking trail through 6-10 inches of fresh powder. Miles and miles of trailbreaking... still no snowmobiles to give me fresh sled-uroy for fast skiing. Never around when you need 'em.

I had old directions from a 50 hikes book, and they were pretty accurate. You mostly follow the main road in and in. There's one junction where the forks seem equally prominant: head left (slightly downhill) and soon you pass a gravel pit on the right. The topo is accurate, too.

I reached the trailhead to Snow Mountain Pond, but by now my fresh powder was being baked into heavy wet clumps, weighing down my skis. I suddenly wished I had not forgotten the glide wax. Whoops. On the bright side, the constant clumping made skins unnecessary as I climbed up the trail.

Eventually, after four hours of trail breaking, I reached a trail junction with several indistinct routes that didn't match the map. The pond must have been close by, but I was exhausted. So, I turned around and enjoyed the downhill run. Which was actually pretty slow in the heavy snow.

Then I finished with a long, flat slog out. Got into a nice rythym and enjoyed the forest. Still no snowmobiles by the time I reached the end.

Even though I didn't get to the pond, let alone the summit, I had a great day enjoying the snow. If you can get up that way, beyond Rangely-Stratton, there's a little corner of real winter to be found!

Last edited:
Nice report, Cushetunk,

if you took a the left-most route at the junction in question, it would have taken you to the pond in a couple of minutes. In the summer, it's more obvious, but it can be tracked out in all directions in winter.

If you had gone straight there, it would have looped around a bit in the woods and also dumped you at the pond. If you had gone right, it would have taken you on a course that seems to go to the summit but mostly slabs the eastern face of the mountain and then peters out.

The correct (left) turn there would seem to take you in the wrong direction, but it's actually the correct one.

glad you had a good day with plenty of snow (even if it was a bit heavy)...

spencer

spencer said:
if you took a the left-most route at the junction in question, it would have taken you to the pond in a couple of minutes. [...]
The correct (left) turn there would seem to take you in the wrong direction, but it's actually the correct one.

Thanks for the info, Spencer.

That would explain why the left most fork had the bridge. I was torn between that route and straight ahead, but yeah, the left route seemed to contradict the map and common sense.

I guess if I had a GPS, I would have reached my destination. But I don't think I would have had any more fun. :D

nice trip report. Snow Mt is one of my favorite hikes that I have done. I guess you'll have to go back in the summer and do it. I did it in early june many years ago, and it was a great out of the way peak, where you can go and not see another soul all day. As you noticed, the trails can be a little tricky in there. It is a real pretty area though, and i have fond memories of soaking in the sun where the bridge and river intersect.

snowmobile trails everywhere!!!

Hi back @ ya!

Arrived in Rangeley Friday and just got home. Didn't get a chance to check out the access to the NW peaks, other than driving in Kennebago River Road and finding out I should have tried the Tim Pond Road...which I almost was able to connect with from the other road. What road did you go in on?

Discovered that you can actually drive on some of the snowmobile roads! If you had a good high clearance vehicle w/big studded tires you could probably drive in further than in the summer! Went in over 2 miles on them yesterday to hike Abraham...what a beautiful day!!! Also drove in over a mile on Bridge Rd, for East Kennebago, to check it out. Saturday & Sunday drove in 3.3 miles on the Caribou Pond Road to hike Crockers then Redington.

Couldn't believe all the Deer! Saw over 50...and one almost completely white!

Glad you enjoyed your "ski" and thanks for sharing your experience! :)