Trail across Brodie Mnt. (Berk. Cty.)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masshysteria

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a continuous trail across the Brodie Mnt. Range?

Specifically from Brodie Mnt. Road north to Sheeps Heaven Mnt; north to the top of the former Brodie Mnt. ski area; Then north along the ridge to Waubeeka Country Club in S.Williamstown? Topo shows some trails going to the ridge, but nothing continuous along the ridge. I have a copy of the 1972 version of AMC Trail Guide, and it suggests there once was a trail, but as of 1972, had been discontinued.

Also, Topo shows a trail heading north from Brodie Mnt. Road ending at Sheeps Heaven Mnt. A quick drive through there yesterday found no trail head, but some recent houses built there. Does this trail still exist? Thanks

20 years ago

We found a trail that ran much as the current map showed - from the S past Sheeps Heaven the true summit, and the ski area to the col with the N peak, which we bushwhacked. The trail dropped off the ridge there - don't know where to as we went back. This was woods roads so you can probably still find it if it isn't posted.

Just as an FYI, I have heard some rumblings that the ski trails are no trespassing. I hiked them three years ago without issue, but apparently starting a year or two ago folks have been told to stay away.

about 7 yrs ago

It was a while ago that I did a trailrun from BrodieMt Road to 5 Corners, rte 43. It started as a ATV trail, changed to a logging route, ski trails toward the summit of Brodie, then back to logging roads and old woods roads and good old bushwhacking! The ridge was easily traversed through open woods and old farm meadows and animal trails. A beautiful autumn route! And a kind local gave me a ride back to my car. No signs of significant trails as I had hoped per the Skyline Trail Map .

Along the ridge it looked llike there was a network of foundations being built for wind towers?! It'd be interesting to go back and see the changes. Let me know what you find if you get up there. Thanks! :)

iceNsnow said:
It was a while ago that I did a trailrun from BrodieMt Road to 5 Corners, rte 43. It started as a ATV trail, changed to a logging route, ski trails toward the summit of Brodie, then back to logging roads and old woods roads and good old bushwhacking! The ridge was easily traversed through open woods and old farm meadows and animal trails. A beautiful autumn route! And a kind local gave me a ride back to my car. No signs of significant trails as I had hoped per the Skyline Trail Map .

Along the ridge it looked llike there was a network of foundations being built for wind towers?! It'd be interesting to go back and see the changes. Let me know what you find if you get up there. Thanks! :)

We took an airplane tour of Berkshire Cty last year, and the foundations for the wind towers were quite obvious, on the southern end. those towers are not up, as there is some kind of environmental impact delay.If you haven't seen Jiminy Peak's new wind mill, off a shoulder of Widow White's Peak (Potter Mnt.), it does dominate the Hancock valley.

It will definitely be a fall walk, as hunting season will soon be upon us. :( Perhaps a call to Mr. Fairbanks at Jiminy Peak might eliminate any tresspassing issues. thanks for all the info folks.

Last edited:
masshysteria said:
Perhaps a call to Mr. Fairbanks at Jiminy Peak might eliminate any tresspassing issues. thanks for all the info folks.

If you mean in regard to the Brodie slopes, Jiminy sold Brodie a few years ago (and the tubing agreement expired awhile ago), so Brian Fairbanks has very little say about trespassing there :)

rocket21 said:
If you mean in regard to the Brodie slopes, Jiminy sold Brodie a few years ago (and the tubing agreement expired awhile ago), so Brian Fairbanks has very little say about trespassing there :)

This does give me a thought; I'll call Kelly Enterprises (Jim Kelly) and find out from them who owns what, what trails exist, etc. So the Kellys nor Fairbanks own any of Brodie Mnt anymore, that's interesting. I believe James Kelly's father bought the side of Brodie Mnt. back in the 40's or 50's, strictly for the logging. Being an entrepreneur, he got the ingenious plan to open a ski area after the marketable timber was removed. Built a sawmill in Pittsfield to process that lumber, sold the property that was on to Pyramid Corp. for millions, and they built the Berkshire Crossing Mall. I know they 'dabble' in real estate too. Not too shabby!

masshysteria said:
This does give me a thought; I'll call Kelly Enterprises (Jim Kelly) and find out from them who owns what, what trails exist, etc. So the Kellys nor Fairbanks own any of Brodie Mnt anymore, that's interesting. I believe James Kelly's father bought the side of Brodie Mnt. back in the 40's or 50's, strictly for the logging. Being an entrepreneur, he got the ingenious plan to open a ski area after the marketable timber was removed. Built a sawmill in Pittsfield to process that lumber, sold the property that was on to Pyramid Corp. for millions, and they built the Berkshire Crossing Mall. I know they 'dabble' in real estate too. Not too shabby!

Last I knew, the ski trails went to the folks who are developing 'Snowy Owl' (not the Kellys) - they're the ones who have been enforcing the no trespassing on the slopes from what I've heard.

Just as a follow up, someone posted this about Brodie on the NELSAP forums:

I parked in the lot. It seemed deserted. When my daughter and I headed towards Dots lift, a shout from a woman who was sitting on the stairs of Danny's (?) lift said we were trespassing, and the security guy should have stopped us. I pleasantly explained the lack of signs, and just wanted to get some pics of Dot's. She said "OK, I'll give you 15 minutes and then I have to call the security guy."