Trail marking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
When I hiked Marcy it is like a highway, you cant get lost if you tried. When i did the great range, there were more signs than in my home town. When I did skylight and grey last year, I came by lake arnold. I did not want to go back through that swamp ( I have no idea how I logged hopped without getting wet), plus I wanted to go home by way of avalanch lake and lake colden. I got to the lean to on the way to redfield and there were no signs at all. there is supposed to be a trail near the lean to. I continued on and saw the cairn for redfield and went a little further. It was mid afternoon and did not know if I was going to lake colden or towards allen. I had a long way back to my car so I decided to go through the swamp again and the 800 foot climb back up lake arnold pass. Again I stayed dry by some miracle. I got tee'd off becouse a guy at four corners said i should go back by way of marcy and i did not want the 1000 foot extra climb! For a extra 200 feet I could of had another great view of marcy and indian falls. My question is why cant there be 1 little sign saying lake colden this way, redfield this way and cliff this way. when you are 10 miles from your car, after a 10 mile 4000 foot hike, you cant afford a wrong turn.

Those are intersections with herdpaths not trails, so it's assume that climbers will have with them all the information needed as well as a detailed map of the area and a compass and a flashlight, etc. Before reaching Uphill lean-to coming from the Lake Arnold Trail when and where you met the T intersection with the Feldspar Brook Trail and the Opalescent River Trail there are several offical signs indicating all directions and distances.

The Lake Arnold Trail is supposed to be rerouted slighly to the East this summer in order to avoid the not always pretty swamp.

*** As of now the DEC has in 2007, installed, signs at the start of the Esther and Tabletop herdpaths and there are more coming in a near future, probably one as well at the Redfield-Cliff herdpath intersection with the Opalescent River Trail.

Last edited:
The trails to both Redfield and Cliff start at the same point, at the cairn. These trails are unmarked herdpaths and therefore does not have a sign. The old Twin Brook Trail to Allen was closed a long time ago and no longer has any trail markers. If you stay on the marked trail (the only one), you eventually will end up at Lake Colden.

Sop

Hiking, like many things in life, is an ongoing learning experience. I relearn things every year, such as research your hike before leaving home. That could include reading guide books, but things change up there. Checking info on any of several forums that deal with Adirondack hiking would be time well spent. Always carry a compass (don't depend entirely on electronic instruments such as a GPS receiver) and a current topo map of the High Peaks or whatever region you're hiking in. Party on :cool:

Last edited:
This is a wilderness area, not downtown Manhattan. We don't want or need signs everywhere! When in doubt, get out your compass and map; the direction you are going (and the direction you want to go) will be easy to determine. Personal responsibility, not DEC looking out for you.

Sorry to disagree with the poster but at this point there is too much information out there. Between GPS, internet forums, cairns, guide books, and great topo maps even a guy like me can make it to the top of Redfield with very little confusion. Ever stop to think of how different the challenge was for the first 46ers in climbing all of the high peaks? Lets keep wilderness and adventure in the high peaks.

I’ve been a fan of the very well marked trail system in the Adirondacks since first setting foot on it nearly 50 years ago.

The simple but first rate amenities of colored trail marking discs and guideboards at trail junctions are an integral part of the regional hiking experience. Long live the tradition of maintaining them in reasonably decent order!

Let’s face it. The High Peaks area, especially, may be wild, but where established trails are it is no wilderness and hasn’t been for a century or more, in any sense of the word, "wilderness" as used today.

The suggestion for a sign at or near Uphill Leanto indicating the trail to Lake Colden and Feldspar Brook-Lake Arnold-Marcy is neither unreasonable nor inconsistent with long-standing practice. I’d say it is very reasonable, given the junction with a maintained “herd” path thereabouts, and potential confusion that might cause. Further, as the current HP guidebook (ADK) notes, the trail marker color changes from Yellow to Red (for those headed from Marcy to Lake Colden) at the junction with the long-abandoned Twin Brook trail – another potential confuser.

Of course, folks who travel in the Adirondack (or any other) boonies should be ready, willing and able to make judgment calls as to which is the right path to follow in getting to where they want to go. Informed calls are best. Well marked trails and intersections don’t preclude need for map and compass while afoot in the Adirondacks. A good guidebook also is a navigation asset.

G.

There is a sign for the Allen herd path & when I was last at one the path for Street there is an old Nye Ski trail sign, the defacto sign for the Street & Nye herd path so why not another.

that said I'm not really in favor for a lot of signage but if a couple of signs helps alleviate one SAR from being needed, aesthetics & clinging to "true wilderness" seems trival for a reason. I like to feel like I'm out someplace remote & beautiful though

Regarding my choice for getting back to the ADK Loj from 4 Corners, I'd opt for (& have done & planning on it this weekend although from Gray's summit I may just go up Marcy) going over Marcy. It's a pretty hefty climb after a couple of peaks but you get a great view & the highway like trail back is forgiving to tired legs that might get a little careless where they place sore tired feet.

The Nye ski trail sign and the Allen "Herd Path" signs are on private property, and were placed so hikers wouldn't wander on private property (especially the Allen trail). The DEC is less inclined to label herd paths on state wilderness land, and those paths are well documented. Anyone hiking in the High Peaks now can easily find their route with a minimal of pre-trip planning, and using a map & compass in the field. I hope that the influx of car GPS units doesn't lead newer hikers to rely only on signs and electronic devices to find their way in the mountains. There is no dependable substitute for proper planning and map & compass skills.

old Nye Ski trail sign, the defacto sign for the Street & Nye herd path

The Old Nye Ski Trail, as the name implies, is a marker for the Old Nye Ski Trail -- which is a very nice ski trail for those who are interested. The fact that Street & Nye can be accessed from the start of that trail is mere coincidence.